Jack Lynch knew about British Torture - Did nothing about it - Ireland's most craven Taoiseach?

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

British army used waterboarding in North, papers claim

Pat Finucane Centre has documents outlining four alleged torture cases in 1972

The Pat Finucane Centre in Derry has produced papers from 1972 which document four cases of the alleged “waterboarding” of people in Northern Ireland by the British army and RUC.

One of the papers is the “secret” minutes of a meeting in November 1972, where the then Fianna Fáil taoiseach Jack Lynch raised concerns with British prime minister Edward Heath about an epileptic who was allegedly “waterboarded” by British soldiers - although the term was not in use at the time.

Mr Lynch is described as “John Lynch” in the documents.

The 11-page minutes refers to many issues, including “the treatment of an epileptic who had been interrogated five times” by the British army.

It was alleged that, on at least two occasions, “he had been forced to lie on his back on the floor, a wet towel had been placed over his head and water had been poured over it to give him the impression that he would be suffocated”.

The PFC produced further documentation about another Belfast man who alleged he suffered similar treatment in late August or early September 1972 at a school in Ballymurphy in Belfast requisitioned by the British parachute regiment.

No doubt’
PFC director Mr O’Connor said there could be “no doubt that the torture being inflicted was known of at the highest political levels in London.

“Although prime minister Edward Heath was aware of the practice of torture, there is no evidence of any investigations, any ministerial follow-up, any attempt to interview the victims or any repercussions for the torturers,” he said.
So there it is, Lynch looked cowered in the face of Heath on the night of Bloody Sunday when innocent people were gunned down, he cowered in the face of torture, he couldn't stand for anything the same as Fianna Fail has never stood for anything.

And these cnúts have the cheek to claim the title: "The Republican Party"

Now we can add tolerance of inhuman practices to FF's litany of economic failure and tolerance of the industrial rape machine that was their church.

ger12

You've a horrible avatar.

Yes, Lynch showed no leadership, he should have acted.

GDPR

Jack then retired and spent his twilight years drinking whiskey with the British Ambassador and when he died, he got a tunnel named after him.

Windowshopper

What was Lynch to do?

GDPR

What was Lynch to do?
Well in the case cited in OP, the very least he could have done is to take the UK before an international human rights court, having satisfied himself that the authorities were carrying out a policy of torture.

Did he think it was a one-off? Never to be repeated?

Jack then retired and spent his twilight years drinking whiskey with the British Ambassador and when he died, he got a tunnel named after him.
Not surprised at all, after all this is the man who apologised for civil rights marchers having the gumption to be murdered by the BA.

GDPR

Not surprised at all, after all this is the man who apologised for civil rights marchers having the gumption to be murdered by the BA.
Im not old enough to have seen it live, but I do remember his craven attitude.

It was discussed often enough in the North. One reason why FF is loathed - there are many others, of course.

Hunter-Gatherer

most Craven Taoiseach ?

enda kenny sucking up to Trump/Teresa May / Merkyl et al

Craven ..... Bertie and the bankers ?

Craven ..... Bruton the West Brit negotiating the future of Ulster ?

Craven .... Fitzgerald..... who never seemed to fight with anybody ever

De Valera.......selling out to the Church to bolster his power base

Haughey ..... your computer memory would break if i started here

Albert Reynolds........read my signature below and weep

Banana republic

Im not old enough to have seen it live, but I do remember his craven attitude.

It was discussed often enough in the North. One reason why FF is loathed - there are many others, of course.
If Lynch came up on the doorsteps they could never answer for themselves, all the reason more why FF will never run in the six. Alex Kane made a great point at the SF unity conference a few weeks ago, Everyone knows where SF stands on the six and unity, but nobody seems to know where FF and all the others stand.

GDPR

most Craven Taoiseach ?

Banana republic
Your point is well made, but Lynch did an appalling thing - he gave hope to people in the North that the Republic was going to stand by them and then he pulled the rug. I think only children (which includes the Orange Order) expected to see the Irish Army suddenly charging over the border, so I'm not suggesting he should have saddled up and had a military show-down.

most Craven Taoiseach ?

Banana republic
And now we see Michael Martin hoping to join them after keeping his craven head down during the worst of the recession they created. Let's hope the voters avoid this outcome.

automaticforthepeople

Did Lynch not take a case to the European Court of Human Rights based on the treatment of internees 2 years previous to the case highlighted here?

GDPR

If Lynch came up on the doorsteps they could never answer for themselves, all the reason more why FF will never run in the six. Alex Kane made a great point at the SF unity conference a few weeks ago, Everyone knows where SF stands on the six and unity, but nobody seems to know where FF and all the others stand.
I cant honestly imagine it.

If you were a Fianna Fail type voter in the North, you would be drawn towards the DUP, but whoops they are Unionist, but whoops maybe FF are too.

Nope, theres only so much kaleidoscopic political action I can take after Trump got elected ..

between the bridges

Just shows ye can't trust the mexicants...

Just shows ye can't trust the mexicants...
Ye can't trust the Brexicants either, the types who seem to be in a haze of peyote hallucinogenic delusion that they'll get a good deal from 27 other angry cants ;)

Best get out of Brexico and join us while you can, we won't hold it against you being sashbacks and all...

between the bridges

Ye can't trust the Brexicants either, the types who seem to be in a haze of peyote hallucinogenic delusion that they'll get a good deal from 27 other angry cants ;)

Best get out of Brexico and join us while you can, we won't hold it against you being sashbacks and all...
I'll be down to stock up on the duty free before the wall is finished...

GDPR

Actually I had a quick skim of the online records of the meeting with Heath in the OP and the biggest part of them seemed to be about the British giving orders to the Irish about security in the Republic!

Lynch should really have said" Oh dear, you people dont appear to be making a great job of it in the UK - why should we listen to you?"

Instead his response was "There was no point in telling the Irish Government to do more. We had no inhibition about doing what was necessary and possible."

Scary.

ne0ica

Isn't strange how the media hail Jack Lynch and Garrett Fitzgerald yet both men presided over disastrous economic polices while Charlie Haughey has become pantomime villain of epic portions. Lots of Irish people happily parrot the script the media gave them about Hagheys shirts and what an intellectual Garret was. But hey we are smarter than all those dumb Americans with their Fox News and Fake News and "alternative facts".

New Threads

Most Replies