Jack O'Connor: We Tried to Stop The Boom!

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
Jack O'Connor's revisionist defence of his leadership during the boom is breathtaking (Irish times Letters Page, Today December 2nd). He is now criticising the FF-PD government of 1997 while at the time his union effectively colluded with them in overheating the economy through social partnership, taking the money, and staying nice and quiet.

He says "As a result of their pro-cyclical approach the economy was already overheating by 2000 and the rate of inflation had increased five-fold." So they knew but went into Social Partnership anyway?

He worked hard he says to try and stop Fianna Fail being re-elected in 2002 and again in 2007. I don't remember that.

"Pay was not the driver" of inflation he says. Is he living on another planet? The unions - all of them - progressively deprecated their positions to nothing more than glorified pay negotiators and are now reaping what they have sown - for where there is no pay to negotiate, what is their role?

Danté reserved the eight circle of Hell for hypocrites and those perpetrators of conscious fraud and treachery. I have no doubt that for many of our nation's leaders, including Mr O'Connor and his ilk, there will be a warm seat waiting for them.

SeanieFitz

might be a slim chance of some balance, doubtful, however the following is a list of the members of partnership

Irish Congress of Trade Unions (ICTU)
Service Industrial Professional and Technical Union
Irish Business and Employers’ Confederation (IBEC)
Small Firms’ Association (SFA)
Irish Exporters’ Association (IEA)
Irish Tourist Industry Confederation (ITIC)
Irish Hotels Federation
Chambers Ireland
Irish Farmers’ Association (IFA)
Irish Creamery Milk Suppliers’ Association (ICMSA)
Irish Co-Operative Organisation Society Ltd. (ICOS)
Irish Cattle and Sheep Farmers Association
Macra na Feirme
Irish National Organisation of the Unemployed (INOU)
Congress Centres Network
CORI Justice Commission
National Youth Council of Ireland (NYCI)
National Association of Building Co-Operatives (NABCO)
Irish Council for Social Housing (ICSH)
Society of Saint Vincent de Paul
Age Action Ireland
The Carers Association
The Wheel
The Disability Federation of Ireland
Irish Rural Link
The Irish Senior Citizens’ Parliament
The Children’s Rights Alliance
Protestant Aid
Community Platform
National Women's Council of Ireland
Environmental Pillar

Odyessus

Jack O'Connor's revisionist defence of his leadership during the boom is breathtaking (Irish times Letters Page, Today December 2nd). He is now criticising the FF-PD government of 1997 while at the time his union effectively colluded with them in overheating the economy through social partnership, taking the money, and staying nice and quiet.

He says "As a result of their pro-cyclical approach the economy was already overheating by 2000 and the rate of inflation had increased five-fold." So they knew but went into Social Partnership anyway?

He worked hard he says to try and stop Fianna Fail being re-elected in 2002 and again in 2007. I don't remember that.

"Pay was not the driver" of inflation he says. Is he living on another planet? The unions - all of them - progressively deprecated their positions to nothing more than glorified pay negotiators and are now reaping what they have sown - for where there is no pay to negotiate, what is their role?

Danté reserved the eight circle of Hell for hypocrites and those perpetrators of conscious fraud and treachery. I have no doubt that for many of our nation's leaders, including Mr O'Connor and his ilk, there will be a warm seat waiting for them.

Sorry, standing room only. :D

borntorum

Jack O'Connor is an appalling scumbag. It's one thing to be lodged right in the centre of the establishment, it's much worse to be in the establishment and then pretend that you're the vanguard of the resistence. Total loser

Holy Cow

This is his fightback after the booing and jeering at the protest last weekend. A desperate FF like attempt to cling to power.

It wont work Jack, get back in your box.

SeanieFitz

personal abuse is sick on this site

The unions were only one of many members of partnership

unions do what the exact same thing as ibec, isme, icmas, ifa, cfi blah blah, they represent their members

how come no one on this site complains about the mess the CFI got us into, saying house prices weren't out of control, 45,000 houses a year wasn't a problem!

Estate agents mislead people for years but hey, they are fine

newspapers & journalists made a fortune on property and, would you believe went on a few trips with politicans

there were over 30 different members in partnership process

all unions fault!

darkhorse

Shocking hypocricy if it was anyone else - but for JOC its par for the course.
He is a total fraudster who contributed substantially to the bubble and lived well off it
And now he claims he tried to stop it - the utter cheek

drjimryan2

the IT does comedy......

the amnesia seems to have spread across the river.....

no credibility whatsoever....

whens the labour 2011 poster goin up on liberty hall?....

westie12

unions do what the exact same thing as ibec, isme, icmas, ifa, cfi blah blah, they represent their members

how come no one on this site complains about the mess the CFI got us into, saying house prices weren't out of control, 45,000 houses a year wasn't a problem!

newspapers & journalists made a fortune on property and, would you believe went on a few trips with politicans

all unions fault!
+1

McEavelli

On the SIPTU website - pressroom/profiles the following appears:

O’Connor has never served on any State Board and has always made it clear that he will never do so because he believes it serves to compromise the image of the Union as an independent workers’ organisation.

I find it strange that his name appears on the National Economic and Social Development Organisation's 2009 report, Appendix 39, as a member of the National Economic and Social Council's 5 Trade Union members. Of course NESDO may be mistaken.

selfemployedmar

Shocking hypocricy if it was anyone else - but for JOC its par for the course.
He is a total fraudster who contributed substantially to the bubble and lived well off it
And now he claims he tried to stop it - the utter cheek
Total agree with you.

The Social Partners are the idiots that are calling all the protests, to protect themselves. I have said that for the last two yrs on this site.

Social Conscience

This is why I found the ICTU arranged march on Nov 27th so laughable - these guys still do not live in the real world and don't accept they were/are part of the problem.

selfemployedmar

This is why I found the ICTU arranged march on Nov 27th so laughable - these guys still do not live in the real world and don't accept they were/are part of the problem.
The people are being fooled once again when the Unions say " Civil Disobedience " They are not interested in the joe soap. Look at all the sub-contractors that will not get paid for the work on the service stations. I dont see too many people in the public sector or union reps worrying about them.

SeanieFitz

what a waste of time, off with your rant.

eoin harris, kevin myers, tony o'reilly, denis o'brien, mary harney,eddie hobbs, ivan yates can rest easy now. their work is done!

powderfinger

If that is true then the same applies to the corporate honchos who lead the Employer trade union IBEC.From Gary McGann(2004-06) through to the current General Secretary, Danny McCoy.

Holy Cow

Does anybody know what this man of the people earns? It was €170k a year last year?

Yosser

all unions fault!
I think it's the CIF you are referring to. Anyway I think people do criticise them on here and other sites. To say "we weren't the only ones,look at them" is hardly a credible defence is it? O'Connor is a hypocrite.He's not the only one with his snout in the trough but trying to absolve himself of blame is pathetic. I really get the feeling most people still have no idea of the ************************ we are in and how we got here. PS workers especially seem to be in denial,big time. All we hear is self-serving nonsense.

MikeC

Do turkeys vote for Christmas?

I think it's the CIF you are referring to. Anyway I think people do criticise them on here and other sites. To say "we weren't the only ones,look at them" is hardly a credible defence is it? O'Connor is a hypocrite.He's not the only one with his snout in the trough but trying to absolve himself of blame is pathetic. I really get the feeling most people still have no idea of the ************************ we are in and how we got here. PS workers especially seem to be in denial,big time. All we hear is self-serving nonsense.

New Threads

Most Replies