Jacob Rees-Mogg and his views on abortion and gay marriage.

Wascurito

You'd be hard put to find someone who looks and sounds more like the archetypal Tory than Jacob Rees-Mogg. Plum in accent and conservative in attire, he seems to try almost too hard to fit the stereotype. A quick scan of Google Images hints that his wardrobe consists almost entirely of dark double-breasted suits, striped white shirts and and white-on-navy polka dot ties. And he won't be starting any new trends with that side-part.

Where he does deviate from the Tory stereotype is in his devout Roman Catholicism. Given his current status as favourite to succeed the hapless Theresa May as Conservative leader and Prime Minister, his religion doesn't seem to be an issue in the party once known as the "Church of England at Prayer"

Moggmentum is now A Thing in British political circles but it will be interesting to see how it's affected by an interview he gave this morning on Good Morning Britain. In it, he states that he follows the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church on the issue of same sex marriage and is completely opposed to abortion, even in cases of rape and incest.

[video=youtube;WE6WC_BVZ4Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE6WC_BVZ4Q[/video]

Betson

He has not a hope of becoming Tory leader but I admire his honesty in declaring his beliefs(even thought I disagree with them) knowing full well they will prevent him from ever seeking high office.

And before people jump down his throat , he is saying they are his beliefs and does not expect others to have to follow suit , he said he would respect and uphold the law as they stand even if they differed from his personal beliefs.

Bea C

Being a Private Eye reader, I've been aware of him for quite a few years. I have to confess that I actually do hold him in some esteem!

There's a cartoon in the current issue re him, but with photobucket looking for money from me these days I dunno how to slap a copy up?

brughahaha

There was a brilliant fly on the wall documentary about the Houses of Parliament about 2 years ago ( well worth a look) . During it the "Seargent at Arms or some other title had to guard the camera crew because there were rumours of plans by a group of Tories, who objected, to disrupt and make it difficult for them to film .....

From memory the ring leader was Rees Mogg .....open to contradiction though

Cai

He must be really insecure to put on that false accent.

It's so called upper received pronunciation - a number of top Tories use it. He probably picked it up while in Eton.

razorblade

He has not a hope of becoming Tory leader but I admire his honesty in declaring his beliefs(even thought I disagree with them) knowing full well they will prevent him from ever seeking high office.

And before people jump down his throat , he is saying they are his beliefs and does not expect others to have to follow suit , he said he would respect and uphold the law as they stand even if they differed from his personal beliefs.
Sounds like a reasonable enough kind of guy, a change from the usual forcing their own views down everyone elses throats.

RodShaft

Being a Private Eye reader, I've been aware of him for quite a few years. I have to confess that I actually do hold him in some esteem!

There's a cartoon in the current issue re him, but with photobucket looking for money from me these days I dunno how to slap a copy up?
Cheapskate!

Mitsui2

He must be really insecure to put on that false accent.
I can't find any audio examples online but to be fair I think his father - the former editor of the Times when it was a real newspaper - spoke quite similarly (if I recall correctly - Rees Mogg snr turns up in old tv clips in programmes about the '60s sometimes). The Catholicism is a family thing too, I think.

GDPR

I can't find any audio examples online but to be fair I think his father - the former editor of the Times when it was a real newspaper - spoke quite similarly (if I recall correctly - Rees Mogg snr turns up in old tv clips in programmes about the '60s sometimes). The Catholicism is a family thing too, I think.
These old freaks and fakers go back to the 70s, the era of "Change and Decay In All Around I See". That is why Britain got Thatcher.

It would almost make you believe in the circular theory of history - or the media, whatever.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No

Exactly. Rees-Mogg has for years cultivated an image of the classic English country eccentric. But he isn't mad and he does understand that the UK voter does not respond well to politicians with a direct line to a putative god.

This is exactly why Alastair Campbell was very quick to shut journos down sniffing around the Blairs' quite frankly odd take on crystal-catholicism. 'We don't do god' was Campbell's refrain to any journos asking. Because he knew that if the UK electorate got wind that Blair considered himself powered by a hybrid-electric god then it would be a serious dip in the polls straight away.

His father was a beautifully elegant writer.

Many Irish people seem to be unaware of the fact that in the UK, only the very top people profess Catholicism.

Mitsui2

These old freaks and fakers go back to the 70s, the era of "Change and Decay In All Around I See". That is why Britain got Thatcher.

It would almost make you believe in the circular theory of history - or the media, whatever.
Daddy Rees Mogg - William - was the writer of the famous "Who Breaks a Butterfly on the Wheel" Times editorial at the time of the 1967 Rolling Stones drug bust, oddly enough.

I always suspect that Jacob was subjected to the BBC version of Brideshead Revisited at an impressionable age and never quite got over it.

Sounds like a reasonable enough kind of guy, a change from the usual forcing their own views down everyone elses throats.
No. He's fence-sitting. Saying that he opposes it but won't legislate against it is a blatant attempt to run with the fox and the hounds.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies