• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Jail vegan parents who make their kids eat a vegan diet?

silverharp

Proposal before Italian parliament based on various incidents of malnourished kids turning up in Italy on such diets. good idea or not? veganism is a bit mental and goes against everything that humans needed to do to survive in the past but does it step over the line of abusing kids who cant consent to this?

Italy proposal to jail vegans who impose diet on children - BBC News

Parents who restrict their children to a vegan diet could face a jail term if a controversial bill is passed by the Italian parliament.

Such parents, the draft bill claims, are imposing a diet "devoid of essential elements for [children's] healthy and balanced growth".

It has been proposed by Elvira Savino of the centre-right Forza Italia party.

It follows a number of high-profile Italian cases where malnourished children have been taken into care.

In four cases over the last 18 months, malnourished children were hospitalised in Italy after being fed a vegan diet.

che schifo

How do you tell if someone is vegan? Don't worry, they'll tell you themselves within about 30 fúcking seconds of meeting you.

Hitchcock

Proposal before Italian parliament based on various incidents of malnourished kids turning up in Italy on such diets. good idea or not? veganism is a bit mental and goes against everything that humans needed to do to survive in the past but does it step over the line of abusing kids who cant consent to this?

There are far more parents who 'inflict' unhealthy meat based diets on their children - no sign of them being imprisoned. A ridiculous bill.

Hitchcock

How do you tell if someone is vegan? Don't worry, they'll tell you themselves within about 30 fúcking seconds of meeting you.
That's a cliché.

Gurdiev77

what about the parents of all the fatso kids I see in Ireland, who will most definitely be dealing with Diabetes before they are 40 ?

GDPR

Somewhat re-assuring to see that there are idiot politicians in other countries too.

che schifo

That's a cliché.
Just a silly joke I was reminded of. And I somewhat agree with your point, a stupid bill. Better to have a bill that somehow deals with or helps (not necessarily prosecute) parents who fail to adequately nourish their children if you're going to have any sort of interference.

There are far more parents who 'inflict' unhealthy meat based diets on their children - no sign of them being imprisoned. A ridiculous bill.

Clanrickard

Vegans should be jailed anyway just for being pompous smug idiots.

Roll_On

Somewhat re-assuring to see that there are idiot politicians in other countries too.
Italy is a special case of banana republic. You have MASSIVE tourism, solid agriculture, a massive food export sector(usually very high end products), a large heavy manufacturing industry(again high end products). Yet somehow they manage to push the economy into recession every year. And of course the Vatican, the Mafia and the politicians are all at the greasy till.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I'm not a vegan, I enjoy meat in my diet, but the problem is not so much vegan diets as parents just being f*cking stupid about feeding their children.

Take out meat, fish, poultry and dairy and theoretically you should have a very healthy diet. Humans really should only eat meat a few times a week at most and should definitely eat more fish than we do.

My partner is about 95% vegan, she doesn't describe herself as one though and will, on the rare occasion, eat meat. She is healthy as an ox and has great skin and hair. What she also has is a very good understanding of nutrition so knows what to eat and how to cook it correctly.

For example, pasta is a high carb and as such, high calorie food? Not necessarily - cook, cool it and reheat it and it changes the carb structure. It reduces the amount of sugar released into the blood from the intestines by a huge amount.

Extra virgin olive is good, yes? Heat it beyond a certain point and it becomes a 'bad' fat.

People needs to go out and educate themselves as to what to they are putting in their bodies, there really is no excuse.

The problem with this law is that its probably born out the same sort of idiocy that drives so many vegans - if the people proposing it really gave a damn about childrens welfare they might start to look at some of the filth that is marketed to kids. Coca cola for example - poison, plain and simple.

Roll_On

Regarding a vegan diet; I know one fully grown man who's been vegan from his teenage years and he's a poorly specimen to say the least, pale, thin, sickly, bad posture, low energy. They say you can be perfectly healthy on a vegan dies if you take the correct amount of synthasized proteins and vitamins, but that's probably easier said than done.

I think it's worse for kids than having a fatty/sugary diet because come adulthood it's possible to loose weight and get healthy the damage done from a vegan childhood might be a bit more difficult to tackle.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Regarding a vegan diet; I know one fully grown man who's been vegan from his teenage years and he's a poorly specimen to say the least, pale, thin, sickly, bad posture, low energy. They say you can be perfectly healthy on a vegan dies if you take the correct amount of synthasized proteins and vitamins, but that's probably easier said than done.

I think it's worse for kids than having a fatty/sugary diet because come adulthood it's possible to loose weight and get healthy the damage done from a vegan childhood might be a bit more difficult to tackle.
As I said above, it all really depends on how informed you are - my partner eats a negligible amount of meat and has a pretty much vegan diet most of the time (without the smarmy, holier than thou attitude I might add) but is very healthy and has great skin and hair. I know many 'vegans' who eat an awful lot of carbs like fried chips in vegetable oil and similar which obviously is not very healthy.

Mercurial

The bill has no chance of passing and is based on sensationalized, inaccurate reports.

How many children have been hospitalized in Italy over the same period due to being fed unhealthy non-vegan diets by their parents?

Clanrickard

along with joggers, exercise cyclists, electric car drivers and parents of kids who got good leaving results .
No no. Just Vegans will be fine.

blokesbloke

Ridiculous law.

It is possible to have a healthy vegan diet.

Prosecute parents who are bringing malnourished children for neglect.

This would allow parents to avoid charges simply by including some dairy in the diet even if the child was still malnourished.

che schifo

Ridiculous law.

It is possible to have a healthy vegan diet.

Prosecute parents who are bringing malnourished children for neglect.

This would allow parents to avoid charges simply by including some dairy in the diet even if the child was still malnourished.
Of course it is, but I have heard it said that it's far more satisfying to sit down to a nice, big meaty sausage of an evening...

Florence

I get the impression that being 'vegan' is the latest cool thing to be for some people.

Wikipedia has a list of famous people who are apparently vegans. below an extract from their list of some of the celebrities I have heard of:

Pamela Anderson
Casey Affleck
Russell Brand
Miley Cyrus
Rosanna Davison
Demi Moore
Sinead O'Connor

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies