James Mc Clean Sportsperson Of the Year!

max99

Any thoughts on this? A mediocre player in the worst Irish Soccer Team ever.. Beaten 5 -1 at home ??!

If there was an award for motor mouth of the Yr ... Dunphy would surely be the recipient!

Would have thought Joe Canning would have been in the running for this accolade?!

puffin

Any thoughts on this? A mediocre player in the worst Irish Soccer Team ever.. Beaten 5 -1 at home ??!

If there was an award for motor mouth of the Yr ... Dunphy would surely be the recipient!

Would have thought Joe Canning would have been in the running for this accolade?!

mangaire2

James Mc Clean Sportsperson Of the Year!

did James win that accolade ?
is so, I say well deserved - not only for his skill as a soccer player, which I know little about,
but as a man of principle & courage.
he has stood up to the English nationalist bullies, with little or no support AFAIK from any other Irish soccer player in England.

if the award were solely on athletic achievement on the sportsfield - I would agree that Joe Canning deserved that accolade.

GDPR

Leaving his politics aside which is his own business or should be, he is a very effective team player and if anything is judged on how much of yourself you're prepared to give for your national sporting cause, I can think of no one more deserving.

D

Deleted member 48908

He's on his way out at the Albion. Possibly Celtic bound.
Spurs fans believe that "he is a very effective team player" and they "can think of no one more deserving".

He'll be getting yellow cards at Wembley come January. ;)

toughbutfair

While McGregor is without doubt our best athlete, he didn’t win anything this year, Michael Conlon is from the north so don’t think he can win(correct me if I’m wrong). Can’t think of any good footballer (McLean is average) , GAA competes against nobody foreign, Rugby was poor . Very poor year.

Sync

Sportsperson?

Katie Taylor went 6-0 this year, winning 2 belts. Seems open and shut.

Betson

Sportsperson?

Katie Taylor went 6-0 this year, winning 2 belts. Seems open and shut.
The issue is women's professional boxing is a very minority sport , usually minority sports do not get a look in. i know people will say UFC is a minority sport and McGregor got it last year , but UFC is still far more competitive than women's boxing.

Spirit of 67

Joe Canning :mad: ! ! ! A "Sport" played by farmers in a couple of areas on the Island , farmers used to running around fields with sticks in their hands chasing cows ! ! Joe F@cking Canning !

Sync

The issue is women's professional boxing is a very minority sport , usually minority sports do not get a look in. i know people will say UFC is a minority sport and McGregor got it last year , but UFC is still far more competitive than women's boxing.
And if she were up against 2016 McGregor or 2015 Conlon or 2014 McElroy then I'd have her losing. But it's her dominating a sport at an international level against a middling player for a lower-tier premier league team. Last year he had 1 goal, 2 assists and 9 yellows, with an average rating of 6.5.

Betson

And if she were up against 2016 McGregor or 2015 Conlon or 2014 McElroy then I'd have her losing. But it's her dominating a sport at an international level against a middling player for a lower-tier premier league team. Last year he had 1 goal, 2 assists and 9 yellows, with an average rating of 6.5.
Agree , there was not a great deal to pick from this year on the international front and McClean is a very weak winner in a poor year. On that basis I would have given it to Joe Canning(even though he broke my heart with that pt at the death in the semi final).

The_SR

Objectively Taylor or the rowers probably should have won. But overall it was sparse pickings and he was the best player in an overall decent year for the national team of the national sport so it defaulted to him. Rugby had a poor enough 2017, not much happened in the minority sports and Gaelic games aren't as popular as it's adherents want to believe so it kinda defaulted to him.

gerhard dengler

Is it a public vote?

Is the selection based on achievement, or personality?

If the vote is on achievement, Katie Taylor, the rowers, Conor Murray, Michael McKillop, Jason Smith, are all winners in their respective codes.

The_SR

If you think that's 'the worst Irish soccer (sic) team ever' you are compounding the fact you know nothing about football.

Must really call the Gah extremists that a Creggan born Fenian plays football and has done more to expose the outside world to Irish culture than there entire organisation has done in a century.

The_SR

Is it a public vote?

Is the selection based on achievement, or personality?

If the vote is on achievement, Katie Taylor, the rowers, Conor Murray, Michael McKillop, Jason Smith, are all winners in their respective codes.
Public vote from the 12 monthly winners.

The_SR

And scored the winner in a cup final v Wales. His club performances aren't what won him the award.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies