• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

James Reilly introduces harsh Australian style law for cigarette packaging.

Boy M5

I just listened to Minister Reilly on with Seán O'Rourke.
Fair play to Reilly he's banning branded cigarette packaging.
Instead it will be plain packs with graphic images of diseased organs and limited branding.

It should save lives and the state money in health costs. Also its innovative and puts us in a leadership role.
Its also personally brave as big tobacco will kick and scream lobby and litigate all the way to Supranational organisations and Europe on the issue.

damus

Has it cut down on the incidence of smoking in the general population in Oz?

dizillusioned

Instead it will be plain packs with graphic images of diseased organs and limited branding.

It should save lives and the state money in health costs. Also its innovative and puts us in a leadership role.
Its also personally brave as big tobacco will kick and scream lobby and litigate all the way to Supranational organisations and Europe on the issue.
So he has given up on HSE reform then?

Paddyc

Have to say I agree with the Minister here.

It also makes life easier for the Gardai or anyone else investigating cigarette smuggling. If you're seen on the street with a 'branded' pack of cigarettes, the Gardai should be entitled to confiscate them unless you can prove you bought them abroad and brought them home legitimately.

theObserver@hotmail.com

I see a market opportunity in cigarette cases.

But it doesn't do squat to reduce smoking. Smokers turn it into a joke "What did you get?". "Prostrate Cancer. You?". "Gum disease". "Lucky bastard".

Bill

It also makes life easier for the Gardai or anyone else investigating cigarette smuggling. If you're seen on the street with a 'branded' pack of cigarettes, the Gardai should be entitled to confiscate them unless you can prove you bought them abroad and brought them home legitimately.
eh no, it doesn't work like that

'orebel

Like the gardai haven't enough to be doing, what with cancelling penalty points and keeping an eye on the opposition.

'orebel

But it doesn't do squat to reduce smoking. Smokers turn it into a joke "What did you get?". "Prostrate Cancer. You?". "Gum disease". "Lucky bastard".
It's already been done.

D

Dylan2010

lol so now we will have to walk around with our holiday snaps just in case :D

tigerben

People will buy the holders that you put the cigarette box into! Just ban them altogether if there so bad,people make a choice to smoke , smoking is legal and why should buying a box be nearly as bad as buying condoms when they were only available to buy in a chemist years back!

farnaby

Brazil has/had something like this, except the pictures were of the people affected by smoking - breathing problems, heart trouble, impotence, evil smoking mothers... The most tangible effects I witnessed were the desire to collect-em'-all like Panini stickers and use them in caption competitions.

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
Prevalence of tobacco consumption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Australia the incidence of smoking is in decline, with figures from the 2011-12 Australian Health Survey showing 18% of the population to be current smokers, a decline from 28% in 1989-90.
It is diffucult to isolate the effect of a single anti-smoking measure, given that they are normally combined with parallel measures, but typically life-long smokers start as early teenagers. I think that the whole being-a-cool-teenager won't work so well holding this:

Paddyc

When I was a smoker, it was always a good day when the pack I got said "Smoking while pregnant may harm your baby". That was my get out of jail free card.

johnfás

Its a positive proposal; as would be limiting the sale of cigarettes to off licences. That and we should be increasing the duty on them further.

theObserver@hotmail.com

When I was a smoker, it was always a good day when the pack I got said "Smoking while pregnant may harm your baby". That was my get out of jail free card.
The throat cancer pictures disturbed me at first when I smoked. I soon got used to the pictures though.

B

Boggle

I think it's a good move and well worth a try at least.

Easy roll back on it if it doesn't do anything but it's nice to see some measures taken that are a little better thought out than the simple "up the price" mantra of recent decades.

Boy M5

Too early to tell.
However, market testing is the fact that the tobacco companies are taking Australia to the WTO.