• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Jan O'Sullivan thinks we're undergoing a construction boom?

Iphonista

Stop the lights! While yours truly thought that the construction sector in this country was still shrinking, apparently it's not. In Riyadh for the Saint Patrick's Day celebration, Jan O'Sullivan has been explaining to the Saudis how there is "a construction boom in Ireland currently because of the Irish government’s housing program".

Jan O’ Sullivan, Irish minister of housing and planning, right, and Irish Ambassador Niall Holohan.

So, all you plumbers and plasterers bound for Canada and Australia, tear up those working visas and get back here now. Your country needs you!

The full article is here:
Ireland advises Kingdom to pass mortgage law | ArabNews

ManUnited

Stop the lights! While yours truly thought that the construction sector in this country was still shrinking, apparently it's not. In Riyadh for the Saint Patrick's Day celebration, Jan O'Sullivan has been explaining to the Saudis how there is "a construction boom in Ireland currently because of the Irish government’s housing program".

Jan O’ Sullivan, Irish minister of housing and planning, right, and Irish Ambassador Niall Holohan.

So, all you plumbers and plasterers bound for Canada and Australia, tear up those working visas and get back here now. Your country needs you!

The full article is here:
Ireland advises Kingdom to pass mortgage law | ArabNews
It's not a direct quote so I'd say it's a lost in translation thing.

Iphonista

O’Sullivan shed light on the concept of collective housing in Ireland, which is one of the best models of public housing in Europe, as underprivileged citizens pay 25 percent of the cost, while the remaining costs are shouldered by the government and private investors as part of their social responsibility programs.
Private sector

storybud1

“We hope to see more young students coming to Ireland to study medicine,?
FFS, if only she would wish more Irish kids to study medicine and look after our own sick,
and on another note, did she mention the segregation and treatment of women in Saudi like Gilmore's strop in Savannah ? did she Fook !

Labour, built on principles, run by hypocrites,

DownTheyGo

Sincerely hope she didn't it isn't our job to fix Arabia. You utter utter waster.

CAN SOMEONE OTHER THAN STORYBUD1 PLEASE EXPLAIN THE BELOW
O’Sullivan shed light on the concept of collective housing in Ireland, which is one of the best models of public housing in Europe, as underprivileged citizens pay 25 percent of the cost, while the remaining costs are shouldered by the government and private investors as part of their social responsibility programs.
I presume its something along the lines of -

underprivileged citizens pay 25 percent of the cost: weekly rental payments

while the remaining costs are shouldered by the government: government subsidised by way of carrying the rest of the cost as part of welfare offering paid for by taxes

private investors: towards the latter part of boom, I recall that some developments were given planning subject to the developer designating 10-20% of the build for social housing purposes - whether the developer then billed government for the cost or took a direct hit themselves (unlikely), I can't say.

ManUnited

Clearly there are economic opportunities in the KSA in the education sector. I don't see much mention of her pursuing opportunities for Irish companies in construction/housing.
Try to use your imagination. Can you not see in your two links how it might turn into an opportunity for Irish companies to get in on the ground floor?

DownTheyGo

Clearly there are economic opportunities in the KSA in the education sector. I don't see much mention of her pursuing opportunities for Irish companies in construction/housing.
Reads to me like a massively missed opportunity but there you go. I would have thought the Ambassador had some input into the event so possibly a thing or two we don't know, but maybe he didn't and got landed with Jan!

ManUnited

Reads to me like a massively missed opportunity but there you go. I would have thought the Ambassador had some input into the event so possibly a thing or two we don't know, but maybe he didn't and got landed with Jan!
How did you come to that conclusion?

ManUnited

I have done plenty of business in Saudi. Jan O'Sullivan would be the last person I would ever think of sending with a view to drumming up any kind of business.
Where in the article did it say she was trying to drum up business? You should try using a bit of imagination as well.

DownTheyGo

Where in the article did it say she was trying to drum up business? You should try using a bit of imagination as well.
Go back to your point above where you imply she might well have drummed up some business.... don't trip over yourself now.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies