JAPAN - PM calls snap election .. a year early

Blokesbloke

ah, Japan are doing a favour for the poor countries, hadn't looked at it from that angle before to be honest, thanks.
Try it sometime. It's useful to look at things in a different way, outside your comfort zone.

I didn't say Japan were not taking immigrants for noble reasons... you made that bit of nonsense up yourself to mock me and enable you to remain feeling smugly superior - but I did point out that taking immigrants can be for less than noble reasons too.

When people in the UK tell me that we "need" immigrants to run our wonderful NHS, I wonder how the poor countries we poach nurses from that they paid to train for cope.

Do they not "need" the nurses and doctors we use our extra cash to tempt them over with?

Or do they not matter because they're poor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Glenshane4

If I was living in Japan with NK shooting missiles overhead and reliant on the totally unreliable moron Trump... I'd probably be in favour of tooling up too...
Japan needs to build its own nuclear bombs to counter the threat from North Korea. When the Japanese have done that, the Chinese and Russians will regret their failure to deal with North Korea and the Americans will regret not having being more pro-active in dealing with North Korea.

The Americans, Russians and Chinese have only one thing in common. All 3 countries, during the 20th century, were attacked by Japan - without the Japanese having first declared war.

razorblade

I agree as long as NK keep threatening Japan they need to build their own nuclear deterrent.

paulp

Try it sometime. It's useful to look at things in a different way, outside your comfort zone.

I didn't say Japan were not taking immigrants for noble reasons... you made that bit of nonsense up yourself to mock me and enable you to remain feeling smugly superior - but I did point out that taking immigrants can be for less than noble reasons too.

When people in the UK tell me that we "need" immigrants to run our wonderful NHS, I wonder how the poor countries we poach nurses from that they paid to train for cope.

Do they not "need" the nurses and doctors we use our extra cash to tempt them over with?

Or do they not matter because they're poor?
hey, I was just having a cut at razorblade's nonsense when you started putting words in my mouth.

anyway, i agree with the thrust of your point. I don't believe countries should have a policy of 'give me your educated and talented only please'

paulp

Japan needs to build its own nuclear bombs to counter the threat from North Korea. When the Japanese have done that, the Chinese and Russians will regret their failure to deal with North Korea and the Americans will regret not having being more pro-active in dealing with North Korea.

The Americans, Russians and Chinese have only one thing in common. All 3 countries, during the 20th century, were attacked by Japan - without the Japanese having first declared war.
Japan having a nuclear bomb to counter North Korea only works if you assume there is a rational mind in charge of the North Korean nuclear bomb

Blokesbloke

Japan having a nuclear bomb to counter North Korea only works if you assume there is a rational mind in charge of the North Korean nuclear bomb
Indeed. So either the NK nukes need to go, or the irrational mind in charge of them does.

paulp

Indeed. So either the NK nukes need to go, or the irrational mind in charge of them does.
yes, but both of those options are not so easily achieved.

I think it would be useful to understand truly what he wants them for. I would assume he sees them as a deterrent to any attempts at regime change. If that were the case, is there a way to guarantee against regime change without the need for him to have nukes? Or does he just want to blow up the world.

derryman

I don't care which goes, however there may be more irrational minds than nuclear warheads. And not only on the Korean peninsula.

Blokesbloke

yes, but both of those options are not so easily achieved.

I think it would be useful to understand truly what he wants them for. I would assume he sees them as a deterrent to any attempts at regime change. If that were the case, is there a way to guarantee against regime change without the need for him to have nukes? Or does he just want to blow up the world.
I don't claim to be an expert but I believe that he just wants them to guard against regime change.

I can't think of anything that could be done which would give him a true guarantee that this would never happen.

There is also the ethical consideration of whether it is fair to guarantee a regime which is so evil towards its own people should be sustained.

Blokesbloke

I don't care which goes, however there may be more irrational minds than nuclear warheads. And not only on the Korean peninsula.
Do you think that if the irrational minds away from the Korean perninsula go that would be the end of the problem?

North Korea has been developing nukes for a long time, when other minds were in place.

derryman

Do you think that if the irrational minds away from the Korean perninsula go that would be the end of the problem?

North Korea has been developing nukes for a long time, when other minds were in place.
I was leaning towards the most probably unfulfilled hope that all nuclear weapons could be discarded, somewhere, somehow. The irrational minds seem to always find their way to lead nations. History, contemporary and current shows us this.

The Field Marshal

I didn't say he was wrong, just wondering what his motives are in calling the election.
You more or less answered your own question.

The return of Banzai culture to Japan will now happen quickly due to the dreadful threat on their doorstep from NK and from the stated intention of the USA to reduce military commitments globally.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom