Jeremy Paxman 'baffled' by University Challenge boycott

A Voice

Please tell me this is a hoax.

Knowing generation snowflake as I do, I fear not . . .

Jeremy Paxman 'baffled' by University Challenge boycott - BBC News

"There was a technical fault which meant we had to interrupt the recording, leaving all of us sitting at our desks in the studio while the problem was sorted out in the control gallery.

"In the conversation to fill the void - in a brightly lit studio, in front of all eight contestants, a full studio crew and an audience of several hundred spectators - I asked the Reading team about the mascot sitting on their desk.

"One of them said it was a hand-knitted Jeremy Paxman doll. Across the several yards separating the chairman's desk from the teams, I asked the whole team whether they took it to bed with them.

"Though no complaint was made at the time, this, apparently, is what has upset them."

The student union's education officer, Niall Hamilton, said that the concerns over what he called "sexist comments" had not been adequately addressed.

"Misogyny and sexism are not about 'offending' contestants, but undermining and oppressing individuals due to their gender," he wrote on the students' union website.

"These forms of oppression should not be taken lightly," wrote Mr Hamilton.

Weevil

He should have asked them if it gets it's knit off-

stopdoingstuff

Perhaps there should be a show called University Challenged for the sort of mongs who do dumb stuff like Reading SU.

Lonewolfe

So, he was wondering if they took it to bed to cuddle, like a Jeremy teddybear.

Of course the dirty bastards assumed he meant bringing it to bed to stuff up their fannies.

Sotired

Me and my better half regularly watch University Challenge for the challenge.

One of the only bits of TV that I watch nowadays.

I really hope Paxman does not apologise to these demented hitler youth.

I'd rather see it end.

storybud1

Is there a university degree for morons that look to be offended in everything ?

oh,, I forgot, its called Liberal Politics,,

rainmaker

Administrator
The vote followed claims that concerns about a sexist comment had not been taken seriously
It wont be taken seriously because outside of their union no one is going to take such nonsense seriously - you can only imagine what such people will do when they come across something really offensive.

To be honest, I doubt the loss of Reading will even be noticed let alone make any impact on the competition.

Last edited:

mctree

We are at the stage now where people actively seek to be offended. I will be bitterly disappointed if Jeremy apologises.

Elvis jaffacake

Hmm...bit bizarre.

Levellers

The BBC ignoring complaints about inappropriate sexual behavior. Never heard that one before.

The BBC article only puts one side and Paxman claims he doesn't know what the complaint is about but goes on to offer some, conveniently, apparently innocuous incident as the cause of the offense. Seems nothing has changed at the BBC.

realistic1

The BBC ignoring complaints about inappropriate sexual behavior. Never heard that one before.

The BBC article only puts one side and Paxman claims he doesn't know what the complaint is about but goes on to offer some, conveniently, apparently innocuous incident as the cause of the offense. Seems nothing has changed at the BBC.
No fan of the BBC , but this looks like another case of the snowflake generation.

It's an ITV production, isn't it?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies