Jerry McCabe killing: 20 years ago today. A lesson from history?

The Field Marshal

RodShaft

is there a list of things that internet randomers (including yourself) can and can't care about?

for example you seem to have strong opinions below. Using your own criteria, I posit that you have no right to care about such things.
You think that's me having strong feelings? That's me stirring to just about indifferent.

RodShaft

He was murdered by members of PIRA during a robbery.
PIRA are the armed wing of Sinn Fein.
No they are not.

But if you have evidence of your outrageous allegations about the third largest political party in Dáil Éireann, I suggest that you provide same to the Gardaí.

SeanieFitz

Oh some people care.

His family and friends for obvious reasons.

Randomers on the internet, for less obvious reasons.

you seem to care enough to post on this thread!

Do you believe that most people couldn't give a sh1t about the murder of Garda McCabe?

GDPR

I disagree, I would say that SF members and supporters pretend to believe that.
There is that, but it's always hard to know what is self delusion and what is plain dishonesty and the further we get away from the time of the last PIRA action the harder it is to tell.

hollandia

I am holding a pin. If you look closely………..
Well. Its a simple matter of distinguishing between fact and hyperbole. I'll give it a few more posts before this is constituted as a defense of the murder.

RodShaft

Your problem there is no one outside of SF members and supporters believes that.
It's not my problem.

It may be a problem for my party. But a diminishing one, as people simply do not care.

Fine Gael went into government despite their terrorist past, as did Fianna Fáil, and the Workers Party, and the Labour Party. Apart from the PD's and the Greens (whatever happened to those two) all political parties have an alleged terrorist past in this country.

RodShaft

I'd say they'd have to be the considerably below average person for that to be true.
The average person on the street is under 30, watches X factor, and is more interested in Tanning Booths than Black and Tan Boots.

GDPR

It's not my problem.

It may be a problem for my party. But a diminishing one, as people simply do not care.

Fine Gael went into government despite their terrorist past, as did Fianna Fáil, and the Workers Party, and the Labour Party. Apart from the PD's and the Greens (whatever happened to those two) all political parties have an alleged terrorist past in this country.
But this is the now and unlike the 20's & 30's not every party is in the same boat, just SF and suffer for it they will.
Not everyone cares, but the majority do & care very much.

GDPR

The average person on the street is under 30, watches X factor, and is more interested in Tanning Booths than Black and Tan Boots.
If you really think the average person at any age doesn't care that a political party's representatives meet and welcome those who shot a policeman on coming out of jail, you're very much mistaken.

ergo2

Well done.

You even spelled his name correctly.

You probably should seek help for your obsession though
That is an offensive remark. People are enttled to post here in memory of a public servant murdered by the PIRA

sadmal

At least 200 people turned out in Adare today to commemorate the late Sgt Mc Cabe.
His widow and orphans certainly care.

Who is crying wolf?

Sgt. Mc Cabe was murdered in cold blood by the IRA during a robbery.

Sinn Fein see no problem with that.

Just what exactly is your position?
Sinn Fein commemorate their IRA dead practically every week and find that acceptable yet no-one is to commemorate their victims.,
Odd that everyone is expected to move on and forget except Sinn Fein and former IRA members.

Last edited:

former wesleyan

No they aren't. As I was saying - fact and hyperbole. Two different things. Unless you're on P.ie.
Hyperbole would be to believe , or state , that every Shinner was a member of PIRA or even vice versa. It is a fact that there was never a moment when SF didn't carry water for PIRA. When PIRA existed of course.

GDPR

Jerry McCabe and Jean McConville have been cynically used for a long time as a political stick to beat SF with. The fake concern for either individual or their families is nauseating. Both incidents are shameful moments from our history, thankfully peace has reigned since with politics separated from the gun and may it never come back.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies