Jesuit Chaplain fired from Congress

NYCKY

Ryan should have known better than appointing a Jesuit Chaplain.
Ryan didn't appoint him, it was his predecessor Boehnor.

Conway was only the second ever Catholic chaplain to the House, (his immediate predecessor was the other Catholic) it may be something to do with the fact that about 1/3rd of the House is Catholic now.

NYCKY

Much more likely that he was asked to vacate and demurred. So they set someone to watch his sermon and bounced him out on the basis of that.

And some redneck congressman from mr jesus-country gets his favoured episcopalian installed.

It is washington.
Not sure it's as complicated as that but with these things there is usually a bit more than meets the eye.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Odd that no-one seems to have campaigned on the basis 'Vote for me. I'm catholic', then.

Never seen a more obvious case that the founding fathers in any state happened to be so right on the subject of separation of church of state and with so many good warnings why this should be the case.

And such a great example of warnings being ignored. 'Prayer breakfasts' in the White House with a yarping clown in the chair.

Jefferson, Tom Paine & Co would have taken the sword to this lot.

Analyzer

Cruimh obsessed with papists....who would have thougth ?
Actually I'd suggest Niall O'Dowd and you lot are the ones who seem obsessed with religion - by the looks of things the guy was asked to leave by a fellow Catholic for political interference? No sign that he was fired for being Catholic - or that a Baptist chaplain wouldn't been fired in the same circumstances. He had been there seven years - which considering Congress is 227 years old and the average tenure has been ~ 3 1/2 years ....
Cruimh...responding to the question of Cruimh obsessed with papists.....by once again attackng popery.....who would have expected that either ?

Sync

He was preaching against the GOP tax bill.
Yeah I mean if the guy is meant to be chaplain to all sides the he can’t be political and he can’t be ragging on one side. If that’s why he’s been canned then that’s not unreasonable.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I don't think that Congress, the Senate or the White House should be seen to be employing people BECAUSE of their religious denomination.

If anything those institutions should eschew all religious appointments of any kind.

There is always something of defeatism in the institutions of civil affairs when they end up employing moon-howlers of any description and begging the favour of non-existent entities in their work.

Particularly in the United States where the subject was addressed adequately by the founders of the state against a background of obvious evidence from the old world that the mixture of the organisation of the affairs of society and religion was a bloody bad idea.

And it isn't the case that the evidence in our day from the world around us is any different. In this area above all others the US has turned out to be a noble experiment gone horribly wrong and much of it comes from paying attention to the moon-howlers of the earth.

McTell

Cruimh...responding to the question of Cruimh obsessed with papists.....by once again attackng popery.....who would have expected that either ?

Isn;'t this our cue to put on a look of despair, clutch our chins anxiously, and shout "wirra wirra"?

Cruimh

I don't see hos I'm attacking Papists or Popery in the OP - as I said - by the looks of things the guy was asked to leave by a fellow Catholic for political interference? No sign that he was fired for being Catholic - or that a Baptist chaplain wouldn't been fired in the same circumstances. He had been there seven years - which considering Congress is 227 years old and the average tenure has been ~ 3 1/2 years ....

PeacefulViking

The chaplain is generally not supposed to be politically controversial at all which is why the minority usually does not suggest their own candidate. If he had pointed out that Jesus would oppose a welfare state the Democrats would call for his sacking. They can hardly expect the majority to stand for him criticizing them.

PeacefulViking

The Irish central article linked is quite humorous by the way. The author does not seem to fathom that Ryan might have non-bigoted reasons to fire the chaplain even if he has not broken any law. And the notion that there is some anti-catholic cabal in the Republican party is rather far-fetched. The right-wing evangelicals do have theological differences with the RCC, of course, but politically it is seen as more of an ally in many issues. The last two Republican speakers have been Catholic which has been a non-issue as far as I know.

Roisin3

The Irish central article linked is quite humorous by the way. The author does not seem to fathom that Ryan might have non-bigoted reasons to fire the chaplain even if he has not broken any law. And the notion that there is some anti-catholic cabal in the Republican party is rather far-fetched. The right-wing evangelicals do have theological differences with the RCC, of course, but politically it is seen as more of an ally in many issues. The last two Republican speakers have been Catholic which has been a non-issue as far as I know.
Ryan is a Catholic himself.

Anyway, as I read elsewhere, it’s not a chaplain that lot need, it’s an exorcist.

O'Sullivan Bere

Ryan didn't appoint him, it was his predecessor Boehnor.

Conway was only the second ever Catholic chaplain to the House, (his immediate predecessor was the other Catholic) it may be something to do with the fact that about 1/3rd of the House is Catholic now.
I'd say so. Boehner is also a Roman Catholic.

The Senate, however, had a Roman Catholic chaplain back in the 1830s, which was remarkable given the animosity towards 'Popery' at that time and occurring before an Gorta Mór and revolutions in southern Germany where the population of RCs in the US was low and localised to southern Louisiana and a well connected minority in Maryland.
Charles Constantine Pise
The Senate hasn't had one since then, which is also remarkable given how far Roman Catholics have come insofar as a percentage of the population and social acceptability.

Last edited:

O'Sullivan Bere

I don't think that Congress, the Senate or the White House should be seen to be employing people BECAUSE of their religious denomination.

If anything those institutions should eschew all religious appointments of any kind.

There is always something of defeatism in the institutions of civil affairs when they end up employing moon-howlers of any description and begging the favour of non-existent entities in their work.

Particularly in the United States where the subject was addressed adequately by the founders of the state against a background of obvious evidence from the old world that the mixture of the organisation of the affairs of society and religion was a bloody bad idea.

And it isn't the case that the evidence in our day from the world around us is any different. In this area above all others the US has turned out to be a noble experiment gone horribly wrong and much of it comes from paying attention to the moon-howlers of the earth.
Inasmuch as I consider myself firmly devoted to separation of religion and state and have expressed it here many times, I'm not a complete absolutist about it when it comes to 'benevolent neutrality.'

I don't mind having a chaplain or spiritual advisor or whatnot around these chambers so long as they aren't preaching and proselytising and are merely there for comfort, consultations and salutations as requested and appropriate under the circumstances. The military has them too, e.g. the fictional Father Mulcahy on the old hit telly series M*A*S*H.
Father John Patrick Francis Mulcahy | Monster M*A*S*H | FANDOM powered by Wikia
The fictional character pretty much explains their role, which is to be around for people who just want to consult with them on personal matters that invite spiritual or comfort concerns such as private advice over matters of conscience, give requested prayers or ministries for the sick and dying, etc.

O'Sullivan Bere

Odd that no-one seems to have campaigned on the basis 'Vote for me. I'm catholic', then.

Never seen a more obvious case that the founding fathers in any state happened to be so right on the subject of separation of church of state and with so many good warnings why this should be the case.

And such a great example of warnings being ignored. 'Prayer breakfasts' in the White House with a yarping clown in the chair.

Jefferson, Tom Paine & Co would have taken the sword to this lot.
As POTUS, Jefferson not only signed the routine bills that appropriated financial support for chaplains in Congress and the military but also attended church services that were actually held on the floor of the House of Representatives at that time (that's no longer done). That's not to take away from his main beliefs in separation of church and state, but he likewise wasn't taking a hostile POV towards religion with the government, just one that kept theocracy and other concerning compulsive, oppressive and corrupting influences between religious institutions and government at bay.

McTell

The Irish central article linked is quite humorous by the way. The author does not seem to fathom that Ryan might have non-bigoted reasons to fire the chaplain even if he has not broken any law. And the notion that there is some anti-catholic cabal in the Republican party is rather far-fetched. //.

C'maaan, IC has to pander to our well-known love of victimhood, that helps conceal any crimes we might commit. But even then, we only committed them because we'd been victims for so long. Victims, like jesus was a victim.

Corned beef anyone? Just like jesus ate corned beef....

Socratus O' Pericles

Inasmuch as I consider myself firmly devoted to separation of religion and state and have expressed it here many times, I'm not a complete absolutist about it when it comes to 'benevolent neutrality.'

I don't mind having a chaplain or spiritual advisor or whatnot around these chambers so long as they aren't preaching and proselytising and are merely there for comfort, consultations and salutations as requested and appropriate under the circumstances. The military has them too, e.g. the fictional Father Mulcahy on the old hit telly series M*A*S*H.
Father John Patrick Francis Mulcahy | Monster M*A*S*H | FANDOM powered by Wikia
The fictional character pretty much explains their role, which is to be around for people who just want to consult with them on personal matters that invite spiritual or comfort concerns such as private advice over matters of conscience, give requested prayers or ministries for the sick and dying, etc.
I'd have preferred the comforrt, salutations and consultations of "Hot Lips" Houlihan.

Dame_Enda

The Hill

Verified account

@thehill
Following Following @thehill
More
JUST IN: House Chaplain who was forced to resign by Paul Ryan takes back his resignation http://hill.cm/dcndkIl

GDPR

Crimbo come here to me.

Turns out Ryan fired the Jay .... because he was Catholic/

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom