Jews in Dublin

Roll_On

Right, so the other day I walked into a local barber shop, because the 'fro needs a trim. Of course the barber shop has a Palestinian flag draped over the back door. That was fine, it's a fairly local kinda place so people who work there know who I am.

I'm actually more of an athiest but I identify myself as Jewish on census forms just to shut my parents up.

So I'm sitting there getting my hair cut by a middle aged woman who proceeds to tell me all about Palestine and the Gaza strip, as If I gave a toss.

She just kept going on and on about how the people there are starving and how mean the Israelis are. etc.

Eventually I got a chance to open my mouth and I asked. "have you ever been there? You seem to know a lot about it." At that point she became horrendously offended that I would question her vast inside knowledge of a place 2000 miles away. She said "NO!!!"

she returned to her hair cutting duties. And then started again calmly saying that "it'd probably be better if Israel didn't exist at all."

At which point I up and walked out, down the street with half a haircut and into another barbers that could finish the job.

She's not the first person to say such things to me. There are people, no doubt of the ill educated variety, that seem to think as an ethnically Jewish person that I am entirely in control of and Responsible for the actions of the Israeli Govt. and the IDF. :roll:

Has anyone else experienced this kind of attitude?

former wesleyan

WTF did you expect.... the flag being draped over the door etc ? Numpty!

Roll_On

Indeed, I should of expected a verbal bashing for the circumstances of my birth, silly me.

bokuden

There used to be a kosher butchers close to leonard's corner and a hal al shop opened right next door to it. I always thought it would make a great "open all hours" style sitcom.

eyelight

Are you saying she knew you were Jewish, and that prompted her rant?
That would be a bit rude, maybe. And presumptuous. Many Jewish people do not support the Zionist statelet.

But, she's entitled to her opinion, and I'd fully agree with her. And with Helen Thomas.

On the other hand, I hate barbers who don't just shut up and cut the hair.

Riadach

You're acting like she set out to offend you? I don't see the offense here really. I can't say I'd get up off a barbers chair because he expressed the opinion that Ireland should never have left the UK.

Asparagus

WTF did you expect.... the flag being draped over the door etc ? Numpty!
I was stunned once when on a visit to a pub on the Shankill road.

The outside of the bar was drapped in union jacks and anti repulican slogans and inside the bar man wore a bowler hat and an orange sash.

He introduced himself as Billy and said "God bless the Queen" then he went on about did i see Glasgow Rangers last night, and then he wouldn't turn on the Munster Hurling Final.

Bizarre - in Ireland for gods sake.

Riadach

Indeed, I should of expected a verbal bashing for the circumstances of my birth, silly me.
Did you inform her you were ethnically Jewish? Why did you feel that her comments were motivated towards you personally?

Watcher2

Right, so the other day I walked into a local barber shop, because the 'fro needs a trim. Of course the barber shop has a Palestinian flag draped over the back door. That was fine, it's a fairly local kinda place so people who work there know who I am.

I'm actually more of an athiest but I identify myself as Jewish on census forms just to shut my parents up.

So I'm sitting there getting my hair cut by a middle aged woman who proceeds to tell me all about Palestine and the Gaza strip, as If I gave a toss.

She just kept going on and on about how the people there are starving and how mean the Israelis are. etc.

Eventually I got a chance to open my mouth and I asked. "have you ever been there? You seem to know a lot about it." At that point she became horrendously offended that I would question her vast inside knowledge of a place 2000 miles away. She said "NO!!!"

she returned to her hair cutting duties. And then started again calmly saying that "it'd probably be better if Israel didn't exist at all."

At which point I up and walked out, down the street with half a haircut and into another barbers that could finish the job.

She's not the first person to say such things to me. There are people, no doubt of the ill educated variety, that seem to think as an ethnically Jewish person that I am entirely in control of and Responsible for the actions of the Israeli Govt. and the IDF. :roll:

Has anyone else experienced this kind of attitude?
When I am abroad I constantly get jibes about drinking too much. I dont get offended.

Riadach

Asparagus

Well you did crucify our saviour, in fairness.
Ah but if he hadn't been crucified he wouldn't have been a saviour - he'd be Jesus the Woodworking Jew.

Thanks Jews for that whole killing Christ thing.

former wesleyan

Exactly. That's what the flag draped over the door means. It's a C.L.U.E. !!

Riadach

Exactly. That's what the flag draped over the door means. It's a C.L.U.E. !!
Nothing in the post indicates he was though. Unless he is leaving a lot of detail out, in which case it is very badly written. All we know so far is that a barber who is rather passionate bout the palestinian cause started talking to a customer about it. Nothing suggest he was singled out because he is ethnically jewish.

New Threads

Most Replies