Jews Murdered in Dublin in 1923

Roll_On

wasn't one of them an informer and the other(his brother) was mistaken for him Or am I thinking of something completely different?

ocoonassa

I was wondering about this sort of thing - but hadn't the civil war been over for 6 months or so ?
irishtimes.com - Who shot Emanuel Kahn? - Tue, Nov 18, 2003
Rumours in the Jewish community suggested Kahn had been mistaken for a moneylender or punished for "walking out with Christian girls". More sinister details came to light 11 years later, however, during a tetchy Dáil debate in February 1934. Sean MacEntee, the Fianna Fáil minister for finance, accused Fine Gael TDs of knowing who killed Kahn and Goldberg. "The man who committed these crimes, as I have already stated tonight, is a member of the Blue Shirt organisation at the present moment. He was allowed to go free even though those charged with the administration of the law at that time were well aware of the crimes he had committed," he said.

His version of events is rife with allegations of conspiracy, the sort typical of robust political debate, but it is also eerily exact in some details, including the dates of the court appearances of those accused of the murders and the reasons for the subsequent collapse of the trial.

That sounds like a sectarian hit to me, it says in your link that it was carried out by officers from the Free State Army

ne0ica

ne0ica

Why go there ? Plenty of other threads to pollute.....
A question was asked, why have we not heard of this. My point is that perhaps the reason is that is does not fit in nicely with the official history. There have been other alleged unlawful killings by Free State soldiers and officers around this same time period. If the muder of the two Jewish men were committed by Republicans, then it would have been used several times as to a battering stick agains't Republicans like the so called 'Cork geocide' of 10 men.

Aindriu

Didn't RTE have a documentary on this case recently?
They did indeed - CSÍ.

They were both anti-semitic crimes which were believed to have been carried out by an officer in the (then) Free State Army.

Cruimh

Thanks for the links.

But now it has emerged that the murders were the work of two Free State officers who were acting on claims by a Dublin prostitute that she had been sexually assaulted by a Jewish dentist.
That would have been dynamite - after all there were "no prostitutes" in Ireland!

And why pick on the men shot rather than the alleged rapist?

idle tim

Thanks for the links.

That would have been dynamite - after all there were "no prostitutes" in Ireland!

And why pick on the men shot rather than the alleged rapist?
You never heard the song "Take me up to Monto",your taking the Poolie there Cruimh.

cb1979

Unfortunately that episode of CSÍ is no longer up on the RTÉ Player. I saw it at the time and it aleged that David Nelligan was instrumental in helping the suspects, former members of Collins' squad, evade justice.

Didimus

On a side note reports state that Conroy fled to Tampico, Mexico to escape justice. Sounded a little exotic to me so I googled Tampico to find that there is also a Tampico in Illinois. This Tampico lists a John Conroy (possible relative?) amongst its founders.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies