Jill Stein Pushes for Recounts in Wisconsin, PA and Michigan

NYCKY

Well- if everything is ok, nobody should be afraid of a recount so !petunia
Fair enough but why just those three states and let's remember, one of them Michigan hasn't even been called yet.

Why not recount all the close states? i.e. recount the ones where Clinton won narrowly.

Why not add the New Hampshire Senate race, while we are at it? Kelly Ayotte lost here by 1,000 votes or 0.1% yet graciously conceded.

Forgive my cynicism, but there is a huge whiff of sour grapes here.

I fear Ms Stein doth protest too much. Hillary as of now lost Wisconsin by about 27 thousand votes. Ms Stein obtained about 31 thousand votes in the state.

Her actions are a day late and a dollar short.

johnny365

In all fairness: The democratic procedure allows a recount. It will be ok if the recount shows more or less the same result. But it must also be ok if the recount shows a very different tally- and appropriate actions should be taken then.
However, it is not ok to deny the recount request if it was made the right way and in the right time frame.Any comments dismissing a request for a democratic right are undemocratic themselves.
What are you afraid of ?
Nothing just merely pointing out this is how the Democrats portrayed Trumps supporters as behaving in the event of a Trump loss.

olli rehn

Nothing just merely pointing out this is how the Democrats portrayed Trumps supporters as behaving in the event of a Trump loss.
The recount result would of course be valid for both sides- as stated above.

olli rehn

Fair enough but why just those three states and let's remember, one of them Michigan hasn't even been called yet.

Why not recount all the close states? i.e. recount the ones where Clinton won narrowly.

Why not add the New Hampshire Senate race, while we are at it? Kelly Ayotte lost here by 1,000 votes or 0.1% yet graciously conceded.

Forgive my cynicism, but there is a huge whiff of sour grapes here.

I fear Ms Stein doth protest too much. Hillary as of now lost Wisconsin by about 27 thousand votes. Ms Stein obtained about 31 thousand votes in the state.

Her actions are a day late and a dollar short.
Yes- a national recount would be a good idea. If it is wanted by any candidate. I see no reason whatsoever why a recount should not be allowed in states which HRC won by a few votes.
Perhaps foreign observers should be brought in to oversee the procedure.

realist

The Democrats aren't pushing for this, the Greens are.
It really does not make sense for the Greens to be doing this as there is no obvious benefit for them to do so ..... the democrats, however, were advised last week of possible vote manipulation in the same 3 states and Stein may have offered/been asked to contest the results as a front for Clinton.

CNN) -Hillary Clinton's campaign is being urged by a number of top computer scientists to call for a recount of vote totals in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania, according to a source with knowledge of the request.

The computer scientists believe they have found evidence that vote totals in the three states could have been manipulated or hacked and presented their findings to top Clinton aides on a call last Thursday.
Computer experts urge Clinton to challenge election results in Wisconsin | News - Channel3000.com

Despite that I do remember, during the election count, one of the presenters surmising that the reason she did not do so well in Wisconsin was because she had not made one campaign visit to the state after she had been nominated to run.

olli rehn

It really does not make sense for the Greens to be doing this as there is no obvious benefit for them to do so ..... the democrats, however, were advised last week of possible vote manipulation in the same 3 states and Stein may have offered/been asked to contest the results as a front for Clinton.

Computer experts urge Clinton to challenge election results in Wisconsin | News - Channel3000.com

Despite that I do remember, during the election count, one of the presenters surmising that the reason she did not do so well in Wisconsin was because she had not made one campaign visit to the state after she had been nominated to run.
If the recount discovers major fraud in the computer voting, Jill Stein would have done democracy a huge favour. Electorial fraud is fraud- nothing else. It needs to be ruthlessly exposed. Otherwise any free vote becomes a joke and those involved in it should drop their masks and be so honest and do a real putsch.
The US is not the Soviet Union.

JCR

I'm sure she offered, she's the Green candidate, horrified at Trump's attitude toward environmental issues in general not to mention climate change. The Greens would naturally prefer Clinton and in return would expect favourable policy. Its normal rational politics, and very understandable.

In terms of it being normal rational politics it might also have the result of a back down from Trump on climate change. If he backs down on climate change to avoid a recount it shows Trump finds the results to be more than a little odd himself.

Strawberry

Sometimes people do things as a matter of principle, and not because there's anything in it for them. If Jill Stein, as a US citizen and obviously one who feels strongly enough about politics to run for election, thinks there is a reason to suspect the result she has every right to call for a recount.

NYCKY

She didn't visit Wisconsin at all and only visited Michigan in literally the dying days of the campaign.

It's worth remembering that in two of these three states, Michigan and Wisconsin, Hillary lost her primary to Bernie Sanders.

Gwannow

A good idea to do a total count. If Al Gore had been astute enough ( well his campaign managers actually) to call for a total recount in Florida , he actually might have become president. Electronic voting is hackable. Bush might even have benefited from it in the state where the Exit poll showed that his opponent had won by a large margin, and yet the electronic vote gave it to Bush, and the guy who was owner of that voting software was a colleague of George W. - OHIO I think it was. There may be another crook in the White House now. A Putin clone. Same greed for money and with disdain for the people he has been empowered to govern.

NYCKY

A good idea to do a total count. If Al Gore had been astute enough ( well his campaign managers actually) to call for a total recount in Florida , he actually might have become president. Electronic voting is hackable. Bush might even have benefited from it in the state where the Exit poll showed that his opponent had won by a large margin, and yet the electronic vote gave it to Bush, and the guy who was owner of that voting software was a colleague of George W. - OHIO I think it was. There may be another crook in the White House now. A Putin clone. Same greed for money and with disdain for the people he has been empowered to govern.
I will take actual poll results over exit polls anyday.

realist

Sometimes people do things as a matter of principle, and not because there's anything in it for them. If Jill Stein, as a US citizen and obviously one who feels strongly enough about politics to run for election, thinks there is a reason to suspect the result she has every right to call for a recount.
I agree but it would be much easier for the Democrats to fund this than the Greens. I am just assuming it could look like sour grapes for the Dems to call for the recount.

Gwannow

The exit polls were always right on there. First time it ever was wrong, and was the owner of the software not a friend of George W?

Strawberry

I agree but it would be much easier for the Democrats to fund this than the Greens. I am just assuming it could look like sour grapes for the Dems to call for the recount.
It seems to be very easy for the Greens to fund this, their crowd funding call has already raised about half the cost within just a few hours.

Betson

In some states such as Pennsylvania a complete recheck will be a logistical nightmare , the electronic machines they have are so outdated that there is no paper trail to go through, every machine will have to physically inspected.

One advantage of them been so outdated is that they have no internet access, they cannot be hacked remotely , someone would have to physically tamper with them.

Even the CNN lads pouring cold water on this tonight saying a recount would almost certainly prove futile. Saying the Dem Governor in Penn is 100% certain there are no irregularities and they also quoted that Nate Sliver chap as saying the turnout figures in the various counties support the actual result.

There was no hacking the Dems just failed to get out the votes in the counties that they needed to in these swing states.

But if they are entitled to a recount let them have it.

olli rehn

She didn't visit Wisconsin at all and only visited Michigan in literally the dying days of the campaign.

It's worth remembering that in two of these three states, Michigan and Wisconsin, Hillary lost her primary to Bernie Sanders.
That is all correct. But would have nothing to do with a possible fraud in the election process.

Mercurial

It won't happen, of course, but what harm if it did?

For the sake of fairness, though, it shouldn't just be the ones that Trump won - let each candidate nominate, say, three states each, and if there are any major surprises they could go from there.

realist

I'm sure she offered, she's the Green candidate, horrified at Trump's attitude toward environmental issues in general not to mention climate change. The Greens would naturally prefer Clinton and in return would expect favourable policy. Its normal rational politics, and very understandable.

In terms of it being normal rational politics it might also have the result of a back down from Trump on climate change. If he backs down on climate change to avoid a recount it shows Trump finds the results to be more than a little odd himself.
I think Trump was probably as stunned at the final overall results as everyone else was! This US election and its aftermath has no precedent and anything could happen at this stage.

olli rehn

It won't happen, of course, but what harm if it did?

For the sake of fairness, though, it shouldn't just be the ones that Trump won - let each candidate nominate, say, three states each, and if there are any major surprises they could go from there.
Interesting idea. I suppose the regulations are different and won't allow such a procedure.

Top Bottom