Jim Carrey Sued Over Death of Cathriona White

Roisin3

The Hollywood star is being sued by the husband of his ex-girlfriend, Irish woman Cathriona White.

The lawsuit alleges that Carrey contributed to her death by supplying her with the prescription drugs used in her overdose.

Further it is alleged that Cathriona was suffering from Herpes types 1 and 2, and that she had also been diagnosed with another serious STD. The lawsuit alleges that Carrey gave these diseases to her, resulting in her serious depression, and that Carrey knowing her medical condition and depression then gave her the prescription drugs.

Cathriona White death: Jim Carrey sued over girlfriend's drug overdose - CNN.com

Betson

On first glance it looks like a cynical ploy to extract money out of a rich celebrity.

Roisin3

Roisin3

On first glance it looks like a cynical ploy to extract money out of a rich celebrity.
Maybe. Or rich celebrity gives on and off girlfriend incurable STDs, ruins her life in doing so, and knowing how depressed she is then gives her enough prescription drugs to kill an elephant.

That's the lawsuit anyway.

No need to have the case heard then. You should contact the lawyers.

petaljam

Even if he wasn't responsible for giving her STDs, presumably giving controlled substances to someone whom you know is depressed is, if not illegal, certainly unethical enough to have to answer for if the person then kills herself with them?

Assuming you don't sell them, what's the legal situation about passing this sort of prescription drugs to someone else? Still illegal, I'd have thought?

Betson

No need to have the case heard then. You should contact the lawyers.
Who said anything about calling the case off , it is just my opinion albeit without much of the facts , but people has been known to offer opinions on discussion boards.

I just don't think this case would be brought if Carey was not so well off.

Who said anything about calling the case off , it is just my opinion albeit without much of the facts , but people has been known to offer opinions on discussion boards.

I just don't think this case would be brought if Carey was not so well off.
Confirmation bias. We onlyy hear of the cases involving famous people.

Roisin3

Even if he wasn't responsible for giving her STDs, presumably giving controlled substances to someone whom you know is depressed is, if not illegal, certainly unethical enough to have to answer for if the person then kills herself with them?

Assuming you don't sell them, what's the legal situation about passing this sort of prescription drugs to someone else? Still illegal, I'd have thought?
Yes, it's illegal still as far as I know.

He's going to have to prove Carrey gave them to her. If he has evidence for that I'm wondering about a criminal case.

petaljam

Yes, it's illegal still as far as I know.

He's going to have to prove Carrey gave them to her. If he has evidence for that I'm wondering about a criminal case.
Not sure how traceability of controlled substances is set up in the States, but in France the packaging would be enough to show who was prescribed them. I guess he could claim she stole them, obviously how believable that would be would depend on stuff we don't know, like would she know where he kept them, would he have noticed them missing etc, but certainly at the very least an a-priori case to answer.

(On the suggestion that the case is only because he's rich, it may even be true to the extent that these people can all get lawyers and expect not to end up bankrupt even if they win. Doesn't necessarily mean the accusation is abusive.)

Roisin3

Not sure how traceability of controlled substances is set up in the States, but in France the packaging would be enough to show who was prescribed them. I guess he could claim she stole them, obviously how believable that would be would depend on stuff we don't know, like would she know where he kept them, would he have noticed them missing etc, but certainly at the very least an a-priori case to answer.

(On the suggestion that the case is only because he's rich, it may even be true to the extent that these people can all get lawyers and expect not to end up bankrupt even if they win. Doesn't necessarily mean the accusation is abusive.)
It's an interesting case as the drugs weren't prescribed in Carrey's name, so I'm not sure how he's going to prove they were Carrey's. She told him? Verbally or in writing?

My bias is that I don't like Jim Carrey, always found something off about him, and something off about his tweets after her death.

petaljam

It's an interesting case as the drugs weren't prescribed in Carrey's name, so I'm not sure how he's going to prove they were Carrey's. She told him? Verbally or in writing?

My bias is that I don't like Jim Carrey, always found something off about him, and something off about his tweets after her death.
I obviously haven't been following this obsessively enough! Who was prescribed them then?
How did Carrey get them? Legally?

Roisin3

I obviously haven't been following this obsessively enough! Who was prescribed them then?
How did Carrey get them? Legally?
They were prescribed to someone called "Arthur King" apparently, who apparently doesn't exist.

Arthur King, King Arthur, a joke maybe.

Burton, the husband, alleges in the lawsuit that it was a pseudonym used by Carrey, and that Carrey texted her after her death to make it appear that she had stolen the pills from him.

ETA: Sorry, it doesn't allege he texted shed stolen the pills from him, just that she'd stolen the pills.

The suit also alleges Carrey or his assistants monitored her home via surveillance cameras, and failed to report that she hadn't left the home in more than a day.

Last edited:

Betson

What did he tweet.

I assume the police have looked into this already and have decided there is not enough to press charges. If there was a criminal case normally the civil case would wait until that is settled.

Of course the burden of proof in a civil case is much less so he could well win a case where the state could not.

Had the ex husband much contact with her before she died?

Politics matters

Why the hell was a married woman having a sexual relationship with another man in the first place? She deserved to feel depressed for her treasonous ways , think of her poor husband.

Roisin3

What did he tweet.

I assume the police have looked into this already and have decided there is not enough to press charges. If there was a criminal case normally the civil case would wait until that is settled.

Of course the burden of proof in a civil case is much less so he could well win a case where the state could not.

Had the ex husband much contact with her before she died?
I don't know how much contact he had with her, I suppose it'll come out in the trial as Carrey says he's defending it.

It was the "too sensitive for this soil" in his tweet that bothered me. His delicate Irish flower.

Well if it turns out he gave her herpes and gonorrhoea as alleged, it would show the fakeass up for being a fakeass.

ireallyshouldknowbetter

Yes, giving someone controlled substances is exactly the same in the law as selling to them, it's the "sale or supply" of substances which is the offence.

People have been prosecuted for supply for passing a joint at a party.

Popular Threads

Most Replies