• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Jim DeMint, tea party leader resigning Senate seat.

NYCKY

Jim DeMint has announced his intention to resign his Senate seat to head up the conservative Heritage Foundation. I am not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing but at least he is out of the Senate.

He has promoted tea party candidates in Senate primaries in the past against more electable centrists. Some of these tea party candidates ended up losing winnable seats, eg Christine O'Donnell. He is probably the single most important reason why the Republicans didn't gain control of the Senate in either of the last two elections. He had promised not to get involved in primaries for the 2014 elections but now that he has a different role, it remains to be seen if he keeps that pledge. He has always been a purist as conservatives go and stymied things like immigration reform.

This won't affect the arithmetic in the Senate and the Governor Nikki Haley is a Republican and will appoint a successor until the next election in 2014.

Hopefully DeMint will be less influential now that he is out of the Senate.

Jim DeMint to resign to head Heritage Foundation - Manu Raju and Scott Wong - POLITICO.com

Last edited:

Ryan Tubbs

Hopefully DeMint will be less influential now that he is out of the Senate.
Interesting news. Hard to know how to read it, but it must surely be a sign of the waning power of the Tea Party psychopaths in the GOP leadership. There seems to have been a definite stock-taking exercise in the wake of the election, with sane Governors (such as Haley) in the driving seat, temporarily at least. The same thing happened in the wake of Goldwater's landslide defeat in 1964.

Socratus O' Pericles

The Tea Party must surely be considering launching their own national electoral party independent of the Reps. at this stage -it seems clear the TP Trojan Horse will not succeed in taking over the RP.

stopdoingstuff

Interesting news. Hard to know how to read it, but it must surely be a sign of the waning power of the Tea Party psychopaths in the GOP leadership. There seems to have been a definite stock-taking exercise in the wake of the election, with sane Governors (such as Haley) in the driving seat, temporarily at least. The same thing happened in the wake of Goldwater's landslide defeat in 1964.
Do you know what else is psychopathic? Drone-bombing innocent civilians, arming drug cartels, refusing to investigate the Bush administration for war crimes, expanding the war into Yemn, Somalia, Ethiopia and Mali, claiming the power to assassinate anyone at will, claiming the power to indefintiely detain without trial, expanding the Patriot Act, locking up cancer patients for smoking a joint, and creating the most spied on society ever.

owedtojoy

The Heritage Foundation is funded by wealthy billionaires through organisations like the Scaife Foundation. Such Foundations are now the powerhouse for most intellectual drives in the Republican Party, since its relations with academia are at an all time low.

The Heritage Foundation are notorious for leading the propaganda campaign against Iraq and Saddam Hussein in the pre-war days.

Rick Santorum, after he lost his Senate seat, just slipped into a well-paid job with the Ethics and Public Policy Foundation, another right-wing think-tank.

But those Foundations are ultimately serving the interests of their paymasters, not the people of the United States. University academics are less partisan.

That a powerful Senator should give up his seat to lead such an organisation just shows the incestuous relationship between the GOP and right-wing think-tanks. In the last analysis, that relationship is not good for the Republicans because it cocoons them in a bubble of beltway groupthink and isolates them from people's real needs and concerns.

Last edited:

NYCKY

The Heritage Foundation is funded by wealthy billionaires through organisations like the Scaife Foundation. Such Foundations are now the powerhouse for most intellectual drives in the Republican Party, since its relations with academia are at an all time low.

The Heritage Foundation are notorious for leading the propaganda campaign against Iraq and Saddam Hussein in the pre-war days.

Rick Santorum, after he lost his Senate seat, just slipped into a well-paid job with the Ethics and Public Policy Foundation, another right-wing think-tank.

But those Foundations are ultimately serving the interests of their paymasters, not the people of the United States. University academics are less partisan.

That a powerful Senator should give up his seat to lead such an organisation just shows the incestuous relationship between the GOP and right-wing think-tanks. In the last analysis, that relationship is not good for the Republicans because it cocoons them in a bubble of beltway groupthink and isolates them from people's real needs and concerns.
Fair points but the liberal think tanks are often funded by billionaires as well and also attract liberal politicians as chairs and members. He was (still is) powerful in the Conservative movement but not very popular among his colleagues in the Senate as for some survivors like Lisa Murkowskis, he had supported opponents in primaries and as noted was largely responsible for the party not having control of the Senate.

On a side note Rep Tim Scott is one of the strong contenders to be appointed to the seat being vacated. If promoted Scott would be the only African American in the Senate and the first Republican African American Senator in 40 years.

owedtojoy

Fair points but the liberal think tanks are often funded by billionaires as well and also attract liberal politicians as chairs and members. He was (still is) powerful in the Conservative movement but not very popular among his colleagues in the Senate as for some survivors like Lisa Murkowskis, he had supported opponents in primaries and as noted was largely responsible for the party not having control of the Senate.

On a side note Rep Tim Scott is one of the strong contenders to be appointed to the seat being vacated. If promoted Scott would be the only African American in the Senate and the first Republican African American Senator in 40 years.
The fact is that Jim de Mint will have far more power and influence as the agent of the rich donors to the Heritage Foundation than he ever had as a Senator elected by the people of South Carolina.

And that is a bad sign for American democracy.

Possibly good for the Democrats :D since I think the wheels are going to fall off the Republican Party if it continues on as it is, but bad for US democracy as something integral and whole.

LINKS FAHREN

Good riddance. He can now spend his days sucking on the corporate teat and exciting himself with deep-breathing audio versions of Hayek, von Mises and Ayn Rand.
The Democrats wallow in their own corporate liberalism. The Tea Party tried to provoke a right-wing grassroots movement that was led by, funded by and guided by their own super-rich puppet-masters. Their infiltration of the Republican Party backfired spectacularly.

el rubio

Republicans would be hard pressed not to pick Tim Scott. He's a a strong conservative in a very conservative state (one with a large black population), is popular with both the establishment GOP and with the tea party, yet he is not as controversial as, for example Michelle Bachmann or Allen West. The only caveat is this: Democrats have done their damndest to sufficiently malign, and slander every up and coming black conservative political figure in order to preserve their impregnable advantage among African-Americans. Witness the past attacks by liberals (often in conjunction with the NAACP and figures in the black church) on Clarence Thomas, Allen Keyes. Janice Rodgers Brown, JC Watts, Condoleeza Rice and Mia Love (and others) as "Uncle Toms" and "sellouts," and it becomes clear that there is more at work here than merely opposing someone for there conservatism. They want to keep the 95 percent of blacks who voted for Obama in their column after 2016.

Tim Scott is a no brainer for Senate. The question is can he weather the vitriol from the gatekeepers in the African American political establishment to be avoid being marginalized as another "token" black conservative.

ManOfReason

The fact is that Jim de Mint will have far more power and influence as the agent of the rich donors to the Heritage Foundation than he ever had as a Senator elected by the people of South Carolina.

And that is a bad sign for American democracy.

Possibly good for the Democrats :D since I think the wheels are going to fall off the Republican Party if it continues on as it is, but bad for US democracy as something integral and whole.
A bit like if the Democrats put public service unions ahead of the interests of their constituents...oh wait...they do. I believe we have the same problem in Ireland, except there is no Republican Party, just various shades of the Democratic Party. How good is that for US democracy or Irish democracy?

NYCKY

Republicans would be hard pressed not to pick Tim Scott. He's a a strong conservative in a very conservative state (one with a large black population), is popular with both the establishment GOP and with the tea party, yet he is not as controversial as, for example Michelle Bachmann or Allen West. The only caveat is this: Democrats have done their damndest to sufficiently malign, and slander every up and coming black conservative political figure in order to preserve their impregnable advantage among African-Americans. Witness the past attacks by liberals (often in conjunction with the NAACP and figures in the black church) on Clarence Thomas, Allen Keyes. Janice Rodgers Brown, JC Watts, Condoleeza Rice and Mia Love (and others) as "Uncle Toms" and "sellouts," and it becomes clear that there is more at work here than merely opposing someone for there conservatism. They want to keep the 95 percent of blacks who voted for Obama in their column after 2016.

Tim Scott is a no brainer for Senate. The question is can he weather the vitriol from the gatekeepers in the African American political establishment to be avoid being marginalized as another "token" black conservative.
Well said, El Rubio, I wish you would post here more often.

The treatment of African American conservatives is disgraceful, Thomas has never been acknowledged by the black media despite being the second most powerful African American in the country, Mia Love had the questions about her parents immigrant status and Janice Rodgers Brown was "unqualified" as a justice.

What I find ironic is that the Republican Senators who oppose Susan Rice are being labelled "racist" are the same Senators that voted to confirm both Colin Powell and Condi Rice as Secretary of State.

Anyway, I digress, I think the symbolism of an Indian American female Governor appointing a capable and qualified African American to the US Senate would be very powerful.

owedtojoy

Well said, El Rubio, I wish you would post here more often.

The treatment of African American conservatives is disgraceful, Thomas has never been acknowledged by the black media despite being the second most powerful African American in the country, Mia Love had the questions about her parents immigrant status and Janice Rodgers Brown was "unqualified" as a justice.

What I find ironic is that the Republican Senators who oppose Susan Rice are being labelled "racist" are the same Senators that voted to confirm both Colin Powell and Condi Rice as Secretary of State.

Anyway, I digress, I think the symbolism of an Indian American female Governor appointing a capable and qualified African American to the US Senate would be very powerful.
Funny, that .. the portrayal of Sonia Sottomayor as a racist (for calling herself a "wise Latina") and an unqualified product of affirmative action by Fox News attracts no condemnation whatsoever.

Great way to get the Hispanic vote, though! :D

Dame_Enda

The Tea Party coup has failed. The GOP leadership will run a mile from them now that they couldn't deliver the goods for Romney-Ryan. Defending billionaires from higher taxes was never going to be a winner. The GOP base is more extreme though so the disease may live on there for a while.

Marco Rubio was seen as Tea Party, as is FL Gov Rick Scott and SC Gov Nikey Haley. In that context it will be interesting to speculate as to whether the decline of their faction will hurt their chances of grabbing the nomination in 2016.

Of course, the Tea Party will argue Romney failed because he was not a "real conservative" i.e. one that shares their extreme views. So the exorcism of this particular demon may have some way to run yet, like Militant in the Labour party in the 1980's.

For myself I am rather a fan of their Small Govt views but regard their defence of the wealthy from higher taxes when faced with national bankruptcy as insane, as well as some of their links to the voter suppression (sorry "watchers I mean) group 'True the Vote'.

Last edited:

owedtojoy

The Tea Party coup has failed. The GOP leadership will run a mile from them now that they couldn't deliver the goods for Romney-Ryan. Defending billionaires from higher taxes was never going to be a winner. The GOP base is more extreme though so the disease may live on there for a while.

Marco Rubio was seen as Tea Party, as is FL Gov Rick Scott and SC Gov Nikey Haley. In that context it will be interesting to speculate as to whether the decline of their faction will hurt their chances of grabbing the nomination in 2016.

Of course, the Tea Party will argue Romney failed because he was not a "real conservative" i.e. one that shares their extreme views. So the exorcism of this particular demon may have some way to run yet, like Militant in the Labour party in the 1980's.

For myself I am rather a fan of their Small Govt views but regard their defence of the wealthy from higher taxes when faced with national bankruptcy as insane, as well as some of their links to the voter suppression (sorry "watchers I mean) group 'True the Vote'.
Andrew Sullivan has been running an excellent series "Letter from Millennial Voters", e-mails he recieved from voters born about 1980 to 1990, who began to vote in the 2000s.

A typical message (from a Mormon, or rather a gay ex-Mormom):

The rise of the Tea Party appalled me. Their rhetoric, their unhinged paranoia, their thinly-veiled racist attitudes toward Obama. If they were what the Republican party was offering, I no longer wanted a part of it. I drifted further and further to the left, while still clinging to my LDS faith. Then the healthcare debates began. Healthcare! Something Jesus probably would be on board with! I would read scriptures and sing hymns that made me think, "Oh yeah, that Jesus guy was really on to something when he said take care of the sick and afflicted," but then my Republican friends would support things that flew in the face of the very same scriptures and hymns.
As Sullivan points out, many of these starting voters grew up in an era of a popular Democrat President (Bill Clinton), then eight years of a disastrous Republican President who entered into reckless wars and destroyed the strong economy Clinton had built up. In 2016, they will have had 8 years of another popular Democrat President (popular with the young, at least) who has struggled against a recalcitrant and stubborn angry Republican Congress.

The point is that these voters will have become used to voting Democrat, and as Angry White Men die out (I am citing Lindsay Graham for that one!), Republicans will have to struggle for their votes.

Letters From Millennial Voters - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast

Clanrickard

SC Gov Nikey Haley.
She is not as doctrinaire as the hard core Tea Party. She is female, non-white and TV friendly. The GOP need more like her to get rid of the angry white man image.

The System Works

Website
www.thesystemworks.wordpress.com
Twitter
@mendingtheworld
DeMint is better than most Senators. I hope somebody as good or better can replace him. But I am not so optimistic.

When it comes to Heritage, some have said DeMint's selection will make it less of a think tank and more of "a political pressure organization with a policy research arm".

I think DeMint might guide Heritage in a better direction. It really has abandoned its original ideals, and I have a couple of good friends who have worked for Heritage. It has supported healthcare mandates and was far too timid in regards to Bush's reckless massively excessive federal spending.

NYCKY

Fantastic to see that a black man is being picked to the Senate. Great news and the racists be damned

Yes great news and Tim Scott will be only the fifth African American Senator in modern times. Whatever about that he will be an improvement on DeMint.

NYCKY

Yes, Scotts very presence in Congress is rich in symbolism, he beat Thurmonds son in a Republican primary for Congress and went onto win the seat becoming the first black Congressman from the South since reconstruction. That said, with his promotion to the Senate and Allen Wests defeat there will be no black Republicans in Congress.

As the only black Senator of either party I expect he will become a nationally known figure.

USER1234

Yes, Scotts very presence in Congress is rich in symbolism, he beat Thurmonds son in a Republican primary for Congress and went onto win the seat becoming the first black Congressman from the South since reconstruction. That said, with his promotion to the Senate and Allen Wests defeat there will be no black Republicans in Congress.

As the only black Senator of either party I expect he will become a nationally known figure.
He already well known here's some highlights:

Floated impeaching Obama over the debt ceiling.

Proposed a bill to cut off food stamps for entire families if one member went on strike.

Defended fairness of giving billions in subsidies to Big Oil.

Wanted to spend an unlimited amount of money to display Ten Commandments outside county building (which would
be unconstitutional btw)

Helped slash South Carolina’s HIV/AIDS budget

Scott is an ardent proponent of guns
Source: Thinkprogress - Meet Sen. Tim Scott: The Tea Party Lawmaker Who Wanted To Impeach President Obama And Kick Kids Off Food Stamps