• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Jim Gibbons and the Boot Boys

RBinge

politics.ie wiki said:
Gibbons was sacked by Haughey when he succeeded Lynch and never again would reach Ministerial office. He was firmly on the Colley wing of the party. After he lost his seat at the 1981 General Election he called for a change of leadership. He regained his seat at the February 1982 General Election and voted against Haughey in the leadership challenge that was proposed by Charlie McCreevy. Leaving the Dáil after the vote he was attacked by a number of drunken Fianna Fáil supporters and forced to the ground. A friend of his brandished a sword and saw off the attackers. Some weeks later he suffered a heart attack and was unable to vote for Haughey later that year in a no-confidence motion at which point the government fell. He lost his seat in the November 1982 General Election and retired from politics. He suffered from ill health during the last years of his life and suffered a number of heart attacks and strokes. He died on the 20th December 1997.
Was it ever established who the people who attacked Jim Gibbons were?

popper

RBinge said:
politics.ie wiki said:
Gibbons was sacked by Haughey when he succeeded Lynch and never again would reach Ministerial office. He was firmly on the Colley wing of the party. After he lost his seat at the 1981 General Election he called for a change of leadership. He regained his seat at the February 1982 General Election and voted against Haughey in the leadership challenge that was proposed by Charlie McCreevy. Leaving the Dáil after the vote he was attacked by a number of drunken Fianna Fáil supporters and forced to the ground. A friend of his brandished a sword and saw off the attackers. Some weeks later he suffered a heart attack and was unable to vote for Haughey later that year in a no-confidence motion at which point the government fell. He lost his seat in the November 1982 General Election and retired from politics. He suffered from ill health during the last years of his life and suffered a number of heart attacks and strokes. He died on the 20th December 1997.
Was it ever established who the people who attacked Jim Gibbons were?

:shock:

"Just off to work now love. Eh, did you see where I left me sword last night?".

Johnny

politics.ie wiki said:
Gibbons was sacked by Haughey when he succeeded Lynch and never again would reach Ministerial office. He was firmly on the Colley wing of the party. After he lost his seat at the 1981 General Election he called for a change of leadership. He regained his seat at the February 1982 General Election and voted against Haughey in the leadership challenge that was proposed by Charlie McCreevy. Leaving the Dáil after the vote he was attacked by a number of drunken Fianna Fáil supporters and forced to the ground. A friend of his brandished a sword and saw off the attackers.
WTF? :shock:

Catalpa

There was a lot of bad blood within FF over the Arms Crises of 1970 when the general perception was IIRC that Gibbons was one of the Ministers who hung Haughey out to dry.

In 1970 the "Arms Crisis" broke when Charles Haughey and Neil T. Blaney were sacked by Taoiseach Jack Lynch as he believed they were complicit in a plot to import arms into Northern Ireland which were seized by the Defence Forces. At the subsequent Arms Trial Gibbons would be the chief prosecutorial witness and his evidence would contradict Haughey’s.

http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Jim_Gibbons

Sure attacking someone like that (if true) was a lousey thing to do but Gibbons made a lot of enemies within the Party that didn't forget his role in that particular Debacle.

Deep Throat

enemies or otherwise, i can think of stronger words than "lousey" (sic) to use when describing what happened to Jim Gibbons. Assault being one, Imtimidation is another.

I heard suggestions of a couple of names of those who had beaten up Jim Gibbons and they were from FF Dublin North.

Far as I was aware they were kicked out of FF then and there and not let back in.

john scott

Yes, I am aware of some of the people who attacked Gibbons. Some were from the Carlow/Kilklenny constituency (Gibbons own constituency) but, or course, I can't name them here. It's news to me that they were expelled from FF. I know of one who certainly wasn't expelled.

Johnny

The Arms Trial acquittals effectively rendered Gibbons a liar and perjurer - a fact often overlooked when discussing this period.

Irrespective of what he had done in 1970's the actions of a mindless mob in attacking a member of parliament and getting away with it is disgusting.

The 3 individuals I know of were expelled from FF and they were from Dublin North.

sadmal

Yes, I am aware of some of the people who attacked Gibbons. Some were from the Carlow/Kilklenny constituency (Gibbons own constituency) but, or course, I can't name them here. It's news to me that they were expelled from FF. I know of one who certainly wasn't expelled.
Were they ever charged with assault?

sadmal

The Arms Trial acquittals effectively rendered Gibbons a liar and perjurer - a fact often overlooked when discussing this period.
Just because someone is acquitted it doesn't mean they're innocent of the charges. Legally yes, but most people made up their minds long ago about Haughey and his role in arming the IRA.

Nedz Newt

There are posters of the "Charlie" (TV Show) thread who suggested that the thump Gibbons got led to his heart attack which led to his death.

But if the info in the OP is correct, someone hit him a box in 1982, and he dies in..... 1997?

MacO'velli

Just because someone is acquitted it doesn't mean they're innocent of the charges. Legally yes, but most people made up their minds long ago about Haughey and his role in arming the IRA.
The inference from the side of those acquitted, was that Gibbon and Lynch were well aware of the Arms being imported though.
The cabinet had decided that something needed to be put in place to help nationalists in the North, Haughey and Blaney were part of the sub committe set up to find out what was going on in the north, and what help could be given.

When Cosgrave told lynch that he knew about Arms coming into Dublin Airport, It gave Lynch the chance to get rid of his most troublesome (Blaney) minister, and biggest rival (Haughey).

Lynch came out of it as if he knew nothing, and that the two charged were the culprits.
If this was so, then Lynch was a fool who didn't know what was going on in his own Government.

Nedz Newt

When you say "most people" you probably mean "I"......but are too modest to say it.

The likelihood that Jim Gibbons was telling the truth on oath was very, very low.

Bea C

There are posters of the "Charlie" (TV Show) thread who suggested that the thump Gibbons got led to his heart attack which led to his death.

But if the info in the OP is correct, someone hit him a box in 1982, and he dies in..... 1997?
My favourite was the time on here when somebody accussed CJ of being responsible for Colley's death of cancer.
How he was supposed to have managed that one I dunno.