Jim Gibney: Republicans will be asking if the north is ungovernable

McSlaggart

Their has been a slew of articles expressing the republican / nationalist disappointment with the attitude of unionism to making "Northern Ireland" work.

Joe Brolly

"Northern Ireland is a dysfunctional entity, its politicians unable to move on from the past"

1:
https://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/joe-brolly/joe-brolly-the-result-of-all-of-this-insanity-is-that-a-united-ireland-is-now-inevitable-36290151.html

Are Unionists happy with the current situation? If not what do they think should be changed?

I agree with Brolly in his article:

The result of all of this insanity is that a United Ireland is now inevitable. Within a decade, Catholics will be in the majority in the North and the statutory mechanism will be activated. But in the meantime, we will be in limbo. Maybe direct rule, maybe a pretence of a government at Stormont.

cricket

Brolly isn't half full of himself, saying that all last week the story has had a "profound" effect. Apart from a piece on BBC NI news, I've seen little about it.
It's a serious issue, no doubt, but not the centre of the universe.

McSlaggart

Brolly isn't half full of himself, saying that all last week the story has had a "profound" effect. Apart from a piece on BBC NI news, I've seen little about it.
If you look at today's Irish news their is lots of different articles on the same vein. This is not a movement but a mood which politicians will have no choice but to act on.

SideysGhost

Yup. We gave Unionism one last chance to demonstrate they were capable of making NornIrn a governable stable entity.

They failed.

And then they went and campaigned for Brexit.

Now it's just a matter of running down the clock. Even the stoopiest of SDLP voters feels that way, now. Nobody actually cares if Stormont gets back up and running or not. Nordie Fenians are Done with the whole stupid charade, it's time for NornIrn to just stop being.

SideysGhost

Why oh why do you insist on pouncing on every single Northern-related thread to parade your ignorance and total lack of knowledge for all the world to see? Why? It's fecking psychotic the way you carry on. A subject you know nothing about that you are nonetheless obsessed with?

STFU you spanner!

Cruimh

Joe Brolly and Jim Gibney - the gifts that keep giving....

Love the Gerry Kelly like sectarian re-write of the FGA - where is the GFA does it say a majority (of those declaring themselves Catholic at census?) triggers a statutory mechanism for Unification? :D

And WTF has Jim Gibney got to do with the linked article?

Come on Slaggy - it is embarrassing to see you lot scrabbling around trying to talk up the chances of a United Ireland ..... It doesn't work as seen by the failure of the "Unifiation by 2016" promise :D

petaljam

Yup. We gave Unionism one last chance to demonstrate they were capable of making NornIrn a governable stable entity.

They failed.

And then they went and campaigned for Brexit.

Now it's just a matter of running down the clock. Even the stoopiest of SDLP voters feels that way, now. Nobody actually cares if Stormont gets back up and running or not. Nordie Fenians are Done with the whole stupid charade, it's time for NornIrn to just stop being.
Yup. This just finished off what little was left of my hopes that Northern Ireland could ever become a "normal" state, governed in the interests of its people. That's obviously not what unionists want, they want a sectarian and xenophobic state. To prove a point, it seems.

McSlaggart

Joe Brolly and Jim Gibney - the gifts that keep giving....

Love the Gerry Kelly like sectarian re-write of the FGA - where is the GFA does it say a majority (of those declaring themselves Catholic at census?) triggers a statutory mechanism for Unification? :D

And WTF has Jim Gibney got to do with the linked article?

Come on Slaggy - it is embarrassing to see you lot scrabbling around trying to talk up the chances of a United Ireland ..... It doesn't work as seen by the failure of the "Unifiation by 2016" promise :D
Grand so you think things should proceed as they are.

CastleRay

I do think that the Unionists had to swallow some very bitter pills but they squandered the opportunity that that gave them. However, I do not blame Unionists in entirety or even for most of it. Sinn Fein have agitated throughout the entire time with their republican movement refusing to decommission their vast arsenal, murdering people, carrying out robberies, spying in Stormont, waging a cultural war, trojan horse trickery, smash the bastards, etc etc. Sinn Fein does better when there is division and they've played the division game better. The DUP does better too when there is division but they've not played as well as Sinn Fein.

cricket

Why oh why do you insist on pouncing on every single Northern-related thread to parade your ignorance and total lack of knowledge for all the world to see? Why? It's fecking psychotic the way you carry on. A subject you know nothing about that you are nonetheless obsessed with?

STFU you spanner!
Whatever Brolly has caught seems to be contagious. Hope you recover soon. This place wouldn't be the same without your inanities.

eoghanacht

Cruiser plays down systematic running of death squads by British security services.

Cruimh

I do think that the Unionists had to swallow some very bitter pills but they squandered the opportunity that that gave them. However, I do not blame Unionists in entirety or even for most of it. Sinn Fein have agitated throughout the entire time with their republican movement refusing to decommission their vast arsenal, murdering people, carrying out robberies, spying in Stormont, waging a cultural war, trojan horse trickery, smash the bastards, etc etc. Sinn Fein does better when there is division and they've played the division game better. The DUP does better too when there is division but they've not played as well as Sinn Fein.
It is telling though that Slaggy has chosen Republicans will be asking if the north is ungovernable as title ....

I remember the days when the IRA plan was to make NI Ungovernable - seems like they still haven't gone away

eoghanacht

Whatever Brolly has caught seems to be contagious. Hope you recover soon. This place wouldn't be the same without your inanities.
Brolly the man that donated a kidney to a stranger.

Good woman cricket.

cricket

Brolly the man that donated a kidney to a stranger.

Good woman cricket.
An admirable deed, praised here by me. It doesn't mean he is infallible on everything. He is the main reason I switch channels at half time during the Sunday Game live.

Strawberry

Its astonishing how someone can hit the point nail on the head and completely miss the point simultaneously.

Cruimh

What do these people mean by "Making NI Work"?
Facilitating Unification?

Our economy grew by 2.4% in the past year with the private sector driving growth and unemployment rate continues to go down.

· The latest published NI unemployment rate was 4.7%. It compares favourably to the European Union (7.7%) rate for October 2017 and Republic of Ireland (6.1% - Sept 17).

· Earnings for full-time employees have increased by over 2% for two years in a row.

· Spending on Research & Development rose by 24% last year to £750 million – an all time high.

· Exports by Northern Ireland companies increased by 12% in the past year.

· Manufacturing sales increased by 6% in the last year and jobs in the sector grew by 1.4%.

· Last year estimated overnight trips to Northern Ireland by external visitors stood at 2.6 million. This is the highest number on record and a 12% increase on 2015.
News - Foster:

SF cannot even sort out Casement Park ......

Se0samh

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies