• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Jim Mansfield & respect for the law

johnfás

That's nice, a guy knocked down a protected structure worth several million euro near me because he couldn't get planning permission on the site and Dublin City Council, in their infinate wisdom, brought a case in the District Court against him with the consequence of him receiving a fine which I could, as a student, have funded out of my current account.

A DEVELOPER who illegally demolished a 19th-century convent in south Dublin has been fined €1,000 at Dublin District Court.

Kimpton Vale Ltd based at College Fort, Carpenterstown, Dublin, was taken to court by Dublin City Council following the demolition of the Presentation Convent at Terenure Road West on November 4th, 2006.
They had originally said they were going to make him reinstate it at a cost of 12 million... then brought a case in the District Court... and we're surprised the country is a mess.

Sync

There's a deal to be done here, but I doubt it's by NAMA. Offer him 50% of the paid value of the land, then complete the building as a centre for the public good. Nursing Home, Hospice, School, whatever. There's no point tearing it down now, but Kimpton Vale can't be allowed make their money back.

itchy

SamVimesBoots Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb
This story is over 3 years old...surely this is old news?

I can't speak for the OP, but I think the point of posting this is that Mr Mansfield has, shall we say, form when it comes to a certain lack of respect for the law of the land, which may be relevant when it comes to all the rumours about him swirling around this week.

He just likes sailing close to the wind. He is not afraid of much. Which is why, I suppose, he is successful. I admire that.

O2 seeks to block Citywest's Disney show - *****Irish News - MSN News

SamVimesBoots

He just likes sailing close to the wind. He is not afraid of much. Which is why, I suppose, he is successful. I admire that.
Right, so you admire men who have never provided a satisfactory explanation for the source of their wealth, who constantly break the planning laws of the land with impunity and then get their bought mates in politics to retrospectively make it all OK, who have been responsible for the current collapse in the economy by pushing their lunatic property bubble, and who are allegedly involved in massive criminality on a huge scale?

People like you need to be sterilised.

itchy

Right, so you admire men who have never provided a satisfactory explanation for the source of their wealth, who constantly break the planning laws of the land with impunity and then get their bought mates in politics to retrospectively make it all OK, who have been responsible for the current collapse in the economy by pushing their lunatic property bubble, and who are allegedly involved in massive criminality on a huge scale?

People like you need to be sterilised.
Ok.

It's kind of like poker players having no respect for authority; it's just business

cinik

Ok.

It's kind of like poker players having no respect for authority; it's just business
Funny I remember him from a time when a number of the what are now the 'so called respectibility' used to travel to the Isle of Man rather a lot mostly incognito.

just_society2

It really bugs me the 'respect' many Irish people express towards very wealthy people. My guess is that the majority of very wealthy people (say people worth over €100M) are simply sharp elbowed chancers who got lucky, or people who inherited it.

I have a ton of respect for creative people who produce great works of art, or inventive people who develop new technologies, and for effective private and public leaders who inspire and lead correctly. If these people made money from their endeavours then more luck to them. But it's the achievements that are admirable, not the wealth that sometimes goes with it.

Admiring someone on the basis of their bank balance is just plain daft, and smacks of forelock tugging gombeen peasantry. Even worse is the charge of jealousy directed at you by their defenders when you express reservations about them.

rhonda15

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYIUhi-Ybi4"]YouTube - Glenn Frey- The Heat Is On[/ame]

Abaddon

Armed gardai in massive dawn raid at ‘Mansfield hotel’

Surprised there wasn't more coverage of this today!

Armed gardai in massive dawn raid at 'Mansfield Hotel'

DOZENS of armed gardai were involved in a huge series of raids in west Dublin today, including a hotel which is managed by businessman Jim Mansfield Junior.
At least one solicitor’s office was raided as part of the massive operation.
Mansfield Jnr. has denied previously that there were death threats against him.

bonkers

Was he the one who claimed he couldn't read or write but had a helicopter licence?

HereWeGoAgain

Was he the one who claimed he couldn't read or write but had a helicopter licence?
That's the guy
Mr Justice Kelly said it was extraordinary that Mr Mansfield, whose companies are involved in a wide range of business activities, could not understand the term "joint and severally liable".

However, an educational psychologist's report put before the court stated the businessman has average intelligence but has the reading ability of a seven-year-old.

Counsel said Mr Mansfield had literacy difficulties due to dyslexia and because he left school at a young age, and was unsure of the nature of the documentation he was signing in relation to the purported partnership.

But counsel for AIB said Mr Mansfield never informed the bank of any such difficulties and he had not made out a case that he was unsure of the nature of any documentation he had signed.
Link: I can't read so I didn't understand