• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

smithy

According to a news report i just heard it was not half a pint over the limit. He was pissed out of his brains driving down a dual carriage way in the wrong direction side after a day heavy drinking at the races. That’s pure recklessness.

pluralist

smithy said:
According to a news report i just heard it was not half a pint over the limit. He was pissed out of his brains driving down a dual carriage way in the wrong direction side after a day heavy drinking at the races. That’s pure recklessness.
Well if that is true the guy must have an alcohol problem and I hope he gets help for it, but I still don't think it should affect his ability to earn a living.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
I found the reference to it being culturally acceptable to be a bit much.

If you'd read the link I put up from RTE.....

"The former Minister of State for Transport, Jim McDaid, has apologised for what he said was a serious lapse in judgement in driving while under the influence of alcohol last night."

thegeneral

Would it be bold to suggest that his patients may be in a better position to review his medical credentials and expertise than people on a website? Some of these comments are a bit extreme.

smithy

Only about nine months ago a doctor who was convicted of dangerous driving while under the influence of alcohol was stroke-off the register. Rightly so. If found guilty, McDaid should see the same treatment.
His behaviour effects the public’s perception of politics in general and does more damage overall to the system than to him or his party. The only way such destruction of perception can be minimised if he himself is held accountable in his professional capacity (medical / political position) as well.

borderlinegenius

thegeneral said:
Would it be bold to suggest that his patients may be in a better position to review his medical credentials and expertise than people on a website? Some of these comments are a bit extreme.
Hear Hear!

Lay off the poor man. I mean, who among us hasn't gone for a spin in the car after a few bottles of whiskey!

Gael

borderlinegenius said:
thegeneral said:
Hear Hear!

Lay off the poor man. I mean, who among us hasn't gone for a spin in the car after a few bottles of whiskey!
Classic wit! :lol: My compliments sir!

Neutral

He has to resign. He could weather the storm in some departments, but not in Transport.

I am glad to see that the Gardai don't seem to take into account your status these days in charging people. There was a time a Minister would just be sent on their way when the Gardai realised who they were.

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
I wonder what TKWhiskers thinks about this.

In the case of Beverly Cooper-Flynn, he expressed the view that members of FF who have committed crimes should be expelled from the party.

If McDaid is convicted of this (and given that he's admitted his own guilt, it's hard to see that he wouldn't be), what will his reaction be?

Funny he's not around. I wonder if he would have been so circumspect if a Labour member had been caught pissed behind the wheel.

PinkoLeftie

Neutral said:
He has to resign. He could weather the storm in some departments, but not in Transport.
I think he is no longer in transport. He was a Minister of State for Transport with responsibility for traffic until last year's reshuffle.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Another win for SF in Donegal next election, when the doc decides he can't contest his seat.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

That said, he was a stupid b'stard

Trojanhorse

rockofcashel said:
Another win for SF in Donegal next election, when the doc decides he can't contest his seat.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

That said, he was a stupid b'stard

tut tut rock, your going to have to quit the cockiness...what do they say about eggs and chickens!!

McDaid was a fool to do what he did. What kind of example does that set to anyone....but it'll probably be all brushed under the carpet.

BJ

Website
www.fiannafail.ie
Thank Goodness he was caught!

It is only right.

Also just as well he was demoted from Jr Min at Transport.

Biffo

Im sure the media will over play this issue tomorrow. But in fairness it was a pretty stupid thing to do. He must have been in some state to go down the wrong way on the dual carriageway, thats not an easy thing to do, but then again he wouldnt be the first person to get pissed at punchetstown and do something stupid.

smithy said:
I should have rephrased that, "FF deputies have a tendency to be alcoholics". One of the most senior ministers in this government has visited rehab and is still drinking. Yet Bertie still allows him in control of a senior ministry, a but, they are good friends.
What kind of a gobshite are you. If you have a problem with how a minister is carrying out their duties then by all means attack them as you see necessary, but dont come on here making coded comments and talking through your arse!

qtman

PinkoLeftie said:
Neutral said:
I think he is no longer in transport. He was a Minister of State for Transport with responsibility for traffic until last year's reshuffle.
I think he was responsible for road haulage. Not that it should matter either way.

I don't think he'll resign. There are certain misdemeanors that are tolerated by the Opposition, because they know they're not immune to them themselves. Politicians tend to have a certain degree of sympathy for each other when it comes to human weakness, although drink driving is pushing it a bit.

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
qtman said:
I don't think he'll resign. There are certain misdemeanors that are tolerated by the Opposition, because they know they're not immune to them themselves. Politicians tend to have a certain degree of sympathy for each other when it comes to human weakness, although drink driving is pushing it a bit.
Well there's nothing the Oireachtas can do, as he's not a member of Government.

However, Fianna Fail could do something, if they wanted to. I wonder if they will, though.

SPN

Yet another Fianna Failure displaying utter contempt for the law. What was it Leona Helmsley said?

The real irony today was Bertie waffling about speed cameras.

According to the recently released NRA accident report for 2003, "unsafe speed" was a factor in 9.4% of accidents. The NRA (and NSA) don't record the number of accidents where alcohol was a factor.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a former CEO of a Health Board was able to tell me the other day that their figures show that 40% of car accidents involve alcohol.

Even McDaid himself famously claimed, when he was Minister, that between 25% and 33% of accidents involved alcohol.

200 lives a year could be saved by enforcing the drink driving laws. Less than 40 could be saved by enforcing the arbitrary speed limits.

Guess which one our beloved Taoiseach is upset about!

hiding behind a poster

He was pissed out of his brains driving down a dual carriage way in the wrong direction side after a day heavy drinking at the races.

Reminds me of an old joke - 85-year-old Mick is driving home on the M50 one day, when his wife calls his mobile in a terrible panic - "Mick, Mick!" she screams - "there's a report on the news!" - "they say that some lunatic is driving down the wrong side of the M50!" - " Just one?" says Mick - "there's f**king hundreds of them!"

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom