• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Jim84

hiding behind a poster said:
Reminds me of an old joke - 85-year-old Mick is driving home on the M50 one day, when his wife calls his mobile in a terrible panic - "Mick, Mick!" she screams - "there's a report on the news!" - "they say that some lunatic is driving down the wrong side of the M50!" - " Just one?" says Mick - "there's f**king hundreds of them!"
I remember that Joke: But wasn't it the wife driving down the wrong side of the road?

hiding behind a poster

I remember that Joke: But wasn't it the wife driving down the wrong side of the road?
[/quote]

depends on whether you want the joke to be ageist or sexist..... :lol:

In 2002, just before the general election, Jimmy McDaid was embrawled in a national scandal for allegedly describing suicide victims as "selfish bastards". Yet he topped the poll in Donegal North East in that election.

Why? Because as Minister for Tourism and Sports, he poured millions in to his constituency, particularly in to GAA and soccer grounds. As we all love the local GAA and soccer stalwarts who train our kids in hail, rain, and snow, this policy was a sure vote getter.

Believe it or not, this affair will pass over for him. The voters in Donegal NE know about his flaws. But they still like him, warts and all.

I wouldn't be writing his political obituaries just yet. Remember Michael Lowry and Emmett Stagg.

smithy

About two weeks ago he was on the Political Party and he gave off the impression that he would not be running again. He also seemed to give off an impression that he would not be putting himself out in anyway for Bertie, understandable.
I bet Bertie was in one way happy today that it was only a backbencher, not a minister of state that brought about this fiasco. He can now avoid having to make a decision, and we all know that is what Bertie does Best.

Seánod

SPN said:
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a former CEO of a Health Board was able to tell me the other day that their figures show that 40% of car accidents involve alcohol.
So 60% of car accidents are caused by those Sober scoundrels?

Better having a few jars and staying among the minority!

:twisted:

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
I wonder what TKWhiskers thinks about this.

In the case of Beverly Cooper-Flynn, he expressed the view that members of FF who have committed crimes should be expelled from the party.

If McDaid is convicted of this (and given that he's admitted his own guilt, it's hard to see that he wouldn't be), what will his reaction be?

Funny he's not around. I wonder if he would have been so circumspect if a Labour member had been caught pissed behind the wheel.
I’m around Smiffy. Dont worry I’ll make my opinions known after the matter is dealt with by the relevant authorities.

pluralist

I find the sanctimonious bullshit from some posters in this thread bizarre.

Particularly from the Shinners, seeing as McDaid is a patriotric Irishman who took a major risk in going to an IRA funeral some years ago.

Some people are very hypocritical - quick to judge those in other parties, slow to condemn those in their own parties who have committed FAR, FAR, FAR worse than McDaid is alleged to have done.

Seánod

pluralist said:

Particularly from the Shinners, seeing as McDaid is a patriotric Irishman who took a major risk in going to an IRA funeral some years ago.

Some people are very hypocritical - quick to judge those in other parties, slow to condemn those in their own parties who have committed FAR, FAR, FAR worse than McDaid is alleged to have done.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone! There should be zero tolerance for drink driving though. I think it should be an automatic 10 days in jail or something like that, plus the licence for a year, plus a compulsory road safety course.

That said, I think people should be entitled to get their jobs back.

flakie

Website
www.irishanimals.ie
Seánod said:
pluralist said:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone! There should be zero tolerance for drink driving though. I think it should be an automatic 10 days in jail or something like that, plus the licence for a year, plus a compulsory road safety course.

That said, I think people should be entitled to get their jobs back.
Perhaps -- however, being caught drink driving should disqualify an individual from public office for a period of time, say 5 years, at least. It has to be demonstrated that this is a serious and shameful crime.

If he hadn't be "caught" the safe way, he could have killed somebody. I'm sorry but I know an awful lot of people who use that road, and for me, driving drunk is the equivalent to standing around shooting a gun with your eyes shut. It's totally irresponsible and lethal.

Think about it, if someone tried to kill another person, would they get their jobs back? People here are far too easy on the moron who has a few too many, gets behind the wheel and kills people.

popper

The former Mrs McDaid is on Marian Finnucane ripping the back out of him, claiming that he is an alcoholic in denial! "Hell hath no fury and all that ..."

leda

popper said:
The former Mrs McDaid is on Marian Finnucane ripping the back out of him, claiming that he is an alcoholic in denial! "Hell hath no fury and all that ..."
i heard some of that interview - and I thought she was being very measured. She seemed to be using the opp. to talk about alcholism and how much denial there is about it in this country.....

...reasonable comment

thegeneral

rockofcashel said:
Another win for SF in Donegal next election, when the doc decides he can't contest his seat.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

That said, he was a stupid b'stard
Its funny and all I can visualise the comments of Rockofcashel were a SFer involved. "Give the man due process", "he hasn't been convicted of anything", "you're all anti-republicans", "this was clearly a securocrat conspiracy", and of course "we're you there"? yada yada. At least consistency isn't lost to the posters of politics.ie

thegeneral

smithy said:
About two weeks ago he was on the Political Party and he gave off the impression that he would not be running again.
He was on that show on Sunday and implied he was seeking re-election. Whether this incident alters matters will be interesting.

thegeneral

popper said:
Well little else would be expected from that woman.

Neutral

PinkoLeftie said:
Neutral said:
He has to resign. He could weather the storm in some departments, but not in Transport.
I think he is no longer in transport. He was a Minister of State for Transport with responsibility for traffic until last year's reshuffle.
Sorry, my knowledge was a little out of date.

Someone should do a P.ie Wiki entry on him!!

(He's in Wikipedia.)

Neutral

His relationship with Anne Doyle ends her profile on Wikipedia.

Wikis are such a clever idea.

hivemind

Sanctimonious bullshit? If this story is true McDaid clearly has a reckless disregard for other peoples lives. He should be in prison and if he can't do his job as a doctor or a TD from there well then I for one won't be crying.

There is certainly a culture of drink driving here which is thankfully being stamped out. Keep stamping.

I've noticed that when a drunk driver kills someone, or get caught in outrageous circumstances, it is always a 'momentary lapse'. I see people driving dangerously every day, but I'd bet that if they ever kill someone the story will be that they are usually angelic paragons of good driving who had a 'momentary lapse'.

Libero

flakie said:
Perhaps -- however, being caught drink driving should disqualify an individual from public office for a period of time, say 5 years, at least. It has to be demonstrated that this is a serious and shameful crime.
Much as I despise drink-drivers, this is nonsense.

Voters are entitled to vote for whoever they want, once the candidate is above a certain age. There are already restrictions on bankrupts and those in jail because they are ongoing situations that prevent representation.

Putting in further restrictions only fetters the right of the electorate to choose who they think is best.
Yes it is depressing that the electorate often chooses those who have committed serious crime, but then how would our peace process or our state's foundation have worked if a conviction for serious crime meant a bar from standing?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom