Jim McDaid resigns Dail seat

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Mac Lochlainn is almost certain of a seat in a GE but in a by-election I would have my doubts.Inishowen really is like the 33rd county.
I was down in the Mount Errigal in '07 and watched the boxes being opened.
I can assure you, MacLochlainn's support is not confined to Inishowen.

Ok it might be a tall order but with the times we're living in, I don't think FF will be keen to go ahead with it.

And yes it's the 33rd county. If we were an actual county, we'd be bigger than Louth, more populated than Leitrim, and energy self-sufficient.

LgCastell

So, ... nothing there forcing the by-elections then?
yes there is if the ratio is in excess of 1:30000 then the level of representation would be unconstitutional and would have to be held but not all four just one

and future taoiseach the "as far as practicable" wouldnt really apply here that is in relation to setting the ratio through legislation and constituency boundaries and that the ratio and constituencies should be the same nation wide as far as practicable.....

myksav

Article 16

1° Dáil Éireann shall be composed of members who represent constituencies determined by law.

2° The number of members shall from time to time be fixed by law, but the total number of members of Dáil Éireann shall not be fixed at less than one member for each thirty thousand of the population, or at more than one member for each twenty thousand of the population.

3° The ratio between the number of members to be elected at any time for each constituency and the population of each constituency, as ascertained at the last preceding census, shall, so far as it is practicable, be the same throughout the country.

Article 16.3.2

3. 2° A general election for members of Dáil Éireann shall take place not later than thirty days after a dissolution of Dáil Éireann.
Thanks.

From that, the number of TD's could be anywhere between 136 and 205, assuming a population of just over 4 million.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
yes there is if the ratio is in excess of 1:30000 then the level of representation would be unconstitutional and would have to be held but not all four just one

and future taoiseach the "as far as practicable" wouldnt really apply here that is in relation to setting the ratio through legislation and constituency boundaries and that the ratio and constituencies should be the same nation wide as far as practicable.....
I think use of the term "fixed" makes it fairly clear that the clause refers to how distribution of seats and constituencies are to be calculated, and not that this ratio should be preserved at all times.

Could be wrong.

sport02

Does anybody know about this disappointment payment package McDaid receieves.
I have heard it twice today on the radio.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies