Jim McDaid resigns Dail seat

Iarmhi Gael

I'm pretty sure 3 is. Certainly for this length of time.

Fair play to McDaid, this is a principled stand. He's walking away from a well paid job for what he believes in, and you've got to admire him for that. I'd certainly differentiate his actions from those of Lee who just threw his toys out of the pram after 6 months, this is clearly something he's thought deeply about.
Personally do not see it that way.

He's walked away rather then voting for Fianna Fail at a Budget or against with the opposition and the majority of people.

He has taken the easy way out - weeks before a critical vote

Kerrygold

People who are congratulating McDaid need to cop themselves on. This has nothing to do with principles. Good old Jim is probably pissed that his ministerial pension is going to be cut.

Future

Put May in the diaries for a GE.

Once again our politicians disenfranchise students doing exams at that time. It's completely unfair.

invpat

Fair play to McDaid, this is a principled stand. He's walking away from a well paid job for what he believes in, and you've got to admire him for that. I'd certainly differentiate his actions from those of Lee who just threw his toys out of the pram after 6 months, this is clearly something he's thought deeply about.
Wow you have a short memory.Apart from his chequered history with the IRA, driving down a motorway the wrong way full to the neck with alcohol as far as I'm concerned does not recommend him for admiration.How the electorate of Donegal reelected him after that really astonished but then 2007 Bertie etc etc etc.

Baron von Biffo

What principle? If he's opposed to something he thinks will be in the budget he should have stayed in the Dail and voted against it.

culmore

This all started with Bertie bringing Blaney back into the party, another failed stroke by Bertie

gijoe

I suspect that the pension and gratuity situation has a lot to do with this resignation. By resigning now McDaid gets his full gratuity and pension, which was due to be cut across the public sector from January 1st to reflect the pay cuts. Plus he must have straws in the wind about further pay cuts for politicians in the budget and overall he would probably be better off collecting both his combined TD's and Ministerial pension.

Malbekh

Any bets on who the next rat is going to be? (no mammals have been hurt or insinuated upon in this post)

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
The Blaney vote won't transfer as a matter of course to SF, as McLochlainn is based in Inishowen. Mind you I still think O'Lochlainn has a good chance.

I actually don't expect to see a by-election here, but if there is one, I expect FF to put CK forward, becoming a "Battle of Inishowen".

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Any bets on who the next rat is going to be? (no mammals have been hurt or insinuated upon in this post)

There are apparently rumours in South Tipperary that Mattie McGrath has indicated that he might vote against the government in the budget vote. Maybe RoC has more information.

eamonne

MC Daid one on the biggest gobs****

Mc Daid is one of the greatest gobsh*** in the dail ..the thought ithat he does this on some deep principle after been in fianna fail for 25 years or whatever is a joke ..

This man has shown contempt for the people of donegal and the country by collecting his salary when not attending the Dail.

Like it or not the cuts to come are inevitable and jim just wants to be centre stage. unfortunately the damage has been carried out by his colleagues.

If he had any morals he would have resigned from the dail after being
found driving drunk down the wrong side on the motorway ..and eventually
when he does the interview it is all about jim the hero ..a gobs**** of the highest order......

Good riddance to rubbish ...

Social Conscience

Has he made any positive contibution to Irish life from his political perch?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I actually don't expect to see a by-election here, but if there is one, I expect FF to put CK forward, becoming a "Battle of Inishowen".
I don't think so. I have my ear to the ground up here.
(1) MacLochlainn is Inishowen. He's the mayor of Buncrana.
(2) Keaveney is a spent force. FF have a new darling boy in Inishowen: cllr. Charlie McConalogue. A tall dashing youth with a winning smile. Spends about half his life in wake houses.

edor

I wonder. What does he know that we don't? Would his pension be affected if he stayed post the new year etc?

In fairness though, he should have been gone years ago, and not by way of resignation.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

Alternatively, one could legitimately ask why it took him so long.

Still ... better late than never.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
There are a few likely reasons for this happening so suddenly,

1. Firstly, McDaid doesn't really attend the Dáil, we spoke recently about him missing 80% of Dáil sitting time. Whatever he's done, it's not turning up for his democratically elected position in Leinster House.

2. McDaid was on the periphery of the party as a result of his opposition to health-cuts, he was outside the parliamentary party - and quite vocal about the party going into opposition to rebuild - so still a FF man even from his remarks

3. He's not the golden child in Donegal North East that he used to be, the merger of Blaney's Independent Fianna Fail into the main party happened officially, but not officially. There's been an ongoing struggle between a fractured and heavily divided Donegal NE Fianna Fail, and the plum office roles in Fianna Fail were going to Blaney's people - causing even further divsion.

4 Because of the favouritism, and the fact Blaney is referred to as one of Cowen's most loyal supporters (that's how John Drennan described him this weekend) - McDaid was likely to be the one more likely to be the Fianna Failer to lose his seat in Donegal North East.

5 There may have been one single thing McDaid could have done to save himself electorally over Blayney, and that's to vote against the Budget, but that appears something he wouldn't do, given there's continuing speculation that the budget could happen before the scheduled date of December 7th, he may have felt that he needed to resign rather than vote the budget down. He did threaten to vote against the budget if Letterkenny General Hospital wasn't protected from the cutes.

6. This seems a very recent decision he's made, he only told the Irish Times two weeks ago that he hadn't decided whether to contest the next General Election, it looks like he's made that decision and then some, since.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies