• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Jim Wells fires the first shots in the campaign to remove Arlene Foster as DUP leader over party's first openly lesbian candidate.

raetsel

What looks like a major developing story has been elevated to another level this morning on Radio Ulster's Nolan show, which is still running as I type this.
The currently suspended DUP MLA, Jim Wells, has launched a strongly worded challenge to the party leadership, with a passionate condemnation of the party's nomination of its first openly lesbian candidate for the forthcoming council election.
Mixed response to DUP running first openly gay election candidate
Wells, who describes this as a 'bolt from the blue' and a 'watershed moment for the DUP', is very, very angry, and claims that many senior members of the party are deeply shocked by the decision. Tellingly he has implied this morning that Arlene Foster is directly responsible.
Given that the RHI Inquiry report is also coming down the tracks, and it seems plausible that Foster will be pilloried by its contents, and the fact that the DUP grassroots is reputedly deeply conservative - around 50% fundamentalist Protestant in its make up, Foster's position now seems to be pretty untenable. Wells's stand has received a lot of strong support during the subsequent phone in.
RHI may well provide the public pretext, but this change of direction looks like it will inevitably be the catalyst for Arlene's removal.
This story has some way to run.

Golah veNekhar

Given the fact that she is shameless about her sexual eccentricities there is a massive likelihood that she embraces homosexualist ideology so therefore the reality that she is involved in the DUP most likely means that she has burning hatred for themuns which cancels out everything else.

ainm_eile

Arlene Foster knows she’s dead woman walking politically-speaking, so she can spend her last few months trying to modernise Unionism without fear of being overthrown?

raetsel

Arlene Foster knows she’s dead woman walking politically-speaking, so she can spend her last few months trying to modernise Unionism without fear of being overthrown?
The battle for the soul of the DUP may well have just begun. The influence of fundamentalist Protestantism should not be underestimated, and if the RHI report is highly critical of Foster, that will surely motivate those members who are unnerved by the modernisation currently taking place.
Inside the DUP: Domination by Free Presbyterian Church and Orange Order laid bare - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
Almost 40% of the 175 DUP councillors elected in 2011 were Free Presbyterian and more than half (54.2%) were members of the Orange Order. These proportions may have fallen a little in the council elections held last month.

Among the DUP's 38 MLAs over a third are Free Presbyterians and exactly half are Orangemen. The proportion increases further among the party's eight MPs.

theloner

Maybe Arlene et al believe drinking from the furry cup is less gay than the cockpipe cosmonauts.

rem81

Mate do you really reckon this is the time to make threads about lesbians and firing shots in NI

Dame_Enda

There are two DUPs. Theres the old Paisleyite DUP who are hardline and religioius. Then there are the former UUP, who are less rightwing or concerned with peoples private lives. Foster is ex UUP, though she joined because she opposed the GFA. However older former UUPers are often also socially conservatives too.

Supra

What looks like a major developing story has been elevated to another level this morning on Radio Ulster's Nolan show, which is still running as I type this.
The currently suspended DUP MLA, Jim Wells, has launched a strongly worded challenge to the party leadership, with a passionate condemnation of the party's nomination of its first openly lesbian candidate for the forthcoming council election.
Wells, who describes this as a 'bolt from the blue' and a 'watershed moment for the DUP', is very, very angry, and claims that many senior members of the party are deeply shocked by the decision. Tellingly he has implied this morning that Arlene Foster is directly responsible.
Given that the RHI Inquiry report is also coming down the tracks, and it seems plausible that Foster will be pilloried by its contents, and the fact that the DUP grassroots is reputedly deeply conservative - around 50% fundamentalist Protestant in its make up, Foster's position now seems to be pretty untenable. Wells's stand has received a lot of strong support during the subsequent phone in.
RHI may well provide the public pretext, but this change of direction looks like it will inevitably be the catalyst for Arlene's removal.
If this is the reason attributed to the end of Foster's leadership it is a bleak future for everyone.
I seriously doubt it would be the reason with so many other failures hanging over her. If the media and political opponents attribute her falling due to a single positive step, it will reinforce all the wrong within the party.

Marcella

You have to ask the question, what self respecting gay person would stand for the DUP ?

ruserious

You have to ask the question, what self respecting gay person would stand for the DUP ?
Was just about to ask the same thing.

The scandal should not be “DUP pick gay candidate” but rather “Gay person picks DUP”.

raetsel

If this is the reason attributed to the end of Foster's leadership it is a bleak future for everyone.
I seriously doubt it would be the reason with so many other failures hanging over her. If the media and political opponents attribute her falling due to a single positive step, it will reinforce all the wrong within the party.
I didn't suggest that it was likely to be the sole reason, or even the outward reason for move to oust her. I think that the public pretext for that will be the RHI report, which most observers seem to believe will not be kind to.
But if you think that this won't be a major influencing factor, then you possibly know nothing about the make-up of the DUP. Your description of the selection of Bennington as a candidate as "a single postive step" is of course entirely subjective and wouldn't be shared by very probably a majority of the DUP's membership.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
True enough. But then....look at the Log Cabin Republicans.

Golah veNekhar

How is this a positive step? Ulster has problems enough without the DUP embracing homosexualism. "Homophobia" is good for people caught up in homosexuality because without it they become incredibly destructive towards both self and others.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6bae/04c148897d4e70e253199cf5f822dcfcc802.pdf

Golah veNekhar

Because they are a bigot who really hates themuns? "Gay culture" is hate-filled which is why so many Neo-Nazies are into the old sodomy.

Supra

How is this a positive step? Ulster has problems enough without the DUP embracing homosexualism. "Homophobia" is good for people caught up in homosexuality because without it they become incredibly destructive towards both self and others.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6bae/04c148897d4e70e253199cf5f822dcfcc802.pdf
As an open Homophope I can still accept homosexual people exist in great numbers and require representations. A party the size of the DUP practicing in a democracy are not immune to the presence of homosexual candidates and should not set rules against it.
I have many phobia and in some cases that is my problem to deal with rather than than those I have a phobia towards. Most of my phobias stem from decisions made by groups of people which I often try to counter. I do not try to counter homosexuality as it not a decision and so I try to counter my homophobia instead. Some members of the DUP face the same issue.

This is positive because it is the DUP facing their own issues rather than chasing ghosts.

Emily Davison

The Catholic Church which hates gays is full of gay men. And must be quite attractive to lesbian nuns.

I don’t know anything about this guy but maybe he believes in the DUP.

RasherHash

This would be a good move if she is trying to line herself up for something snazzy like an EU commissioner or a UN rapporteur or somesuch big salaried, not much actual work type deal.

Time for Arlean to step up to the next level in the elitist pantheon and leave the grubby northern spires far behind :LOL:

death or glory

Looks like this story is dead already.

Enigma wrong yet again, who would have guessed it?
The only person damaged because of this is Wells.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies