• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Jim Wells fires the first shots in the campaign to remove Arlene Foster as DUP leader over party's first openly lesbian candidate.

Golah veNekhar

Looks like this story is dead already.

Enigma wrong yet again, who would have guessed it?
The only person damaged because of this is Wells.
I have new respect for Wells. He is not damaged at all by this.

raetsel

Looks like this story is dead already.

Enigma wrong yet again, who would have guessed it?
The only person damaged because of this is Wells.
But the story isn't over yet DOG. Read the post again.
I'd guess that Nigel Dodds in on board with it, but I cannot imagine it created a bit of disquiet among a lot of other senior DUP figures like McCausland, Poots, Campbell, Baby Doc and the likes. The RHI Inquiry report will determine Arlene's fate. If it is bad for her it (and it may well be) it wouldn't be surprising at all if the hard-liners used that as the pretext for ousting her, and replacing her with a more traditional leader. I never predicted an immediate revolt. That wouldn't have worked.
It was a brave move on her part though. If she pulls it off all credit to her.

raetsel

This would be a good move if she is trying to line herself up for something snazzy like an EU commissioner or a UN rapporteur or somesuch big salaried, not much actual work type deal.

Time for Arlean to step up to the next level in the elitist pantheon and leave the grubby northern spires far behind :LOL:
EU commissioner? Are you mad? :)
And she'd have nothing at all to offer NATO. She's a small town solicitor, who if RHI is any guide is possibly not very good at reading her briefs.

Mickeymac

And she'd have nothing at all to offer NATO. She's a small town solicitor, who if RHI is any guide is possibly not very good at reading her briefs.

How about a top job as boss of Community relations..........(ducks head, only kiddin guys :ROFLMAO:)

death or glory

But the story isn't over yet DOG. Read the post again.
I'd guess that Nigel Dodds in on board with it, but I cannot imagine it created a bit of disquiet among a lot of other senior DUP figures like McCausland, Poots, Campbell, Baby Doc and the likes. The RHI Inquiry report will determine Arlene's fate. If it is bad for her it (and it may well be) it wouldn't be surprising at all if the hard-liners used that as the pretext for ousting her, and replacing her with a more traditional leader. I never predicted an immediate revolt. That wouldn't have worked.
It was a brave move on her part though. If she pulls it off all credit to her.
Never was having a gay candidate going to cause Arlene's leadership any problems, that was a crazy idea by a few loonies.
Now the only threat is the RHI and now due to the push to get talks it will probably be a whitewash and like the last Trump report will not have the balls to lay the blame at the top man or woman.
Arlenes status is now secure.

Mickeymac

Never was having a gay candidate going to cause Arlene's leadership any problems, that was a crazy idea by a few loonies.
Now the only threat is the RHI and now due to the push to get talks it will probably be a whitewash and like the last Trump report will not have the balls to lay the blame at the top man or woman.
Arlenes status is now secure.

Dissident loyalists like Well's will cause more problems to onionism and the DUP as Republican dissidents to SF....trust me.

raetsel

Now the only threat is the RHI and now due to the push to get talks it will probably be a........ ..............................................
I'd never be idiotic enough to even go close to implying on a public internet forum that a retired senior judge might be anything other than the soul of integrity, DOG.
Is the farm in your own name? :)

death or glory

I'd never be idiotic enough to even go close to implying on a public internet forum that a retired senior judge might be anything other than the soul of integrity, DOG.
Is the farm in your own name? :)
What you mean to say is that you wouldn't have the ball's.
I call a spade a spade and not afraid to tell the truth.

Emily Davison

Would she be any less qualified than EU Commissioner Phil Hogan, ex farmer with a teaching degree, who managed his brief on Irish Water so well.

raetsel

What you mean to say is that you wouldn't have the ball's.
I call a spade a spade and not afraid to tell the truth.
I wouldn't have exactly what belonging to the ball, DOG? :eek:
Anyone who thinks that engaging in possible defamation against a retired judge with an impeccable reputation, who thinks it is a mark of their courage rather than stupidity has a lot to learn - unless of course they don't own the farm after all.

raetsel

Would she be any less qualified than EU Commissioner Phil Hogan, ex farmer with a teaching degree, who managed his brief on Irish Water so well.
For a start my disbelief that anyone could suggest that she would be suitable for an EU Commissioner's job was founded in the knowledge that she is so hell bent on taking NI out of the EU.
I know nothing about Phil Hogan's career to be honest, and of course management ability very often has little to do with an individual's educational attainments, so whether someone qualified as a teacher or a solicitor is not terribly relevant.
But as a small town solicitor running the sort of practice where providing conveyancing services would very likely be a vital and substantial source of income, I'd expect Arlene to instinctively know how crucial it would be to pay attention to detail. Yet, astonishingly, by her own admission she didn't even read the the RHI legislation.
Arlene Foster didn’t even read the legislation which established the scheme and which she tabled in her own name in the Assembly. Under questioning about one of multiple deficiencies in the regulations, Mrs Foster said she “imagined it would have been defined in the legislation”. When asked if she had at any stage read the legislation, Mrs Foster said: “No. No, I didn’t. So there’s…absolutely not. I didn’t read the regulations.” Mrs Foster had previously boasted of her attention to detail, saying: “Detail is important. For someone from a legal background like myself this is a given.”
The ultimate irony here is that the necessary work on designing a perfectly adequate RHI scheme at Westminster was already completed for England & Wales by experienced officials, and had Arlene's department just copied and pasted it into the NI statute, few people would now ever have a clue what the programme entailed. Yet inexplicably she presided over the decision to devote considerable civil service resources to a total remake and didn't feel it necessary to oversee the result of that.

Emily Davison

For a start my disbelief that anyone could suggest that she would be suitable for an EU Commissioner's job was founded in the knowledge that she is so hell bent on taking NI out of the EU.
I would have thought she was hell bent on keeping the Union. Which for her means taking NI out of the EU.

My point about politicians is that they end up in top jobs despite qualifications. I doubt Arlene has the time to read reams of legislation. Running the DUP must take a heck of a lot of time and commitement. One assumes she was relying on Stormont legal teams to check the legislation. You can't personally do everything yourself.

Golah veNekhar

Of course you admire him as he's a homophobe same as you.
Sinn Fein who supported a referendum which has increased the rate of both suicide and HIV infection among the "LGBT community" are a lot more objectively homophobic.

raetsel

I would have thought she was hell bent on keeping the Union. Which for her means taking NI out of the EU.
Eh? It is the greatest single thing she could possibly do to p1ss off nationalists and neutrals.
Recent polling has shown that by taking NI out of the EU in a hard Brexit scenario the neutrals alone break 5 to 1 in favour of a united Ireland. But that is irrelevant anyway. How could someone who doesn't support the EU institutions become a Commissioner?

My point about politicians is that they end up in top jobs despite qualifications. I doubt Arlene has the time to read reams of legislation. Running the DUP must take a heck of a lot of time and commitement. One assumes she was relying on Stormont legal teams to check the legislation. You can't personally do everything yourself.
Firstly she wasn't DUP leader then. She had only one job and she didn't do it. Reading legislation is tedious, but she is a lawyer ffs. It is what she was trained for.
I learned a very salutary lesson early in my working life when asked by my boss to explain my part in some minor balls-up in the office. My excuse was that I assumed that someone else was doing what he should have been and that it wasn't all my fault.
He told me never to "assume" anything. Great advice. :)

Last edited:

Golah veNekhar

Don't know what Jim Well's is moaning about, there have always been plenty of gays throughout Unionism.

He was more Anglo-Irish than Ulster Scot. You find very little homosexuality among Ulster Scots- and when you do find it is among sociopath LVF types, Orange men/Freemasons and messed up rootless cosmopolitans.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies