Jim Wells fires the first shots in the campaign to remove Arlene Foster as DUP leader over party's first openly lesbian candidate.

Ardillaun

Wells is a preposterous anachronism supported by a handful of half-dead geezers. Enemies like this are good for Foster.

Emily Davison

SAME SEX MARRIAGE

Now in all the furor over Brexit it might be forgotten that the world is changing before our very eyes. In 5 days times we have another landmark situation in NI. Freedom for the Gays of every tribe.

It's great to have some positivity for a change. Not sure if we will see the joyous scenes that we witnessed in Dublin castle but never mind.

Here's to Gay Cake, hip hip hooray:

Same-sex marriage will also be legalised in Northern Ireland if devolution doesn't return.

Glaucon

Wells is a preposterous anachronism supported by a handful of half-dead geezers. Enemies like this are good for Foster.
Do you think that Wells' position is devoid of support in the DUP? I think you'll find that Wells carries much of the membership on this issue, not Foster. The feelings of Unionism as a whole are a different matter.

devonish

Do you think that Wells' position is devoid of support in the DUP? I think you'll find that Wells carries much of the membership on this issue, not Foster. The feelings of Unionism as a whole are a different matter.
Yip, I'm sure the grassroots membership of the DUP is still strongly protestant fundamentalist, they probably make some of their elected representatives look quite liberal.

Golah veNekhar

Jim Wells would make a much better leader.

Dame_Enda

The Wells camp of the DUP are like some kind of Calvinist variant of John Charles McQuaid's Catholicism in terms of their attitudes to LGBT and abortion rights.

Emily Davison

The Wells camp of the DUP are like some kind of Calvinist variant of John Charles McQuaid's Catholicism in terms of their attitudes to LGBT and abortion rights.
But is this actually true. Because if you ask me they don't care half so much as they make out as they are doing nothing at all to try and prevent liberalisation. I reckon the place is gone way more liberal than their politicians.

Ardillaun

I’m sure there are many lunatics within the DUP who support Wells but that percentage drops off a cliff when you look at DUP voters. NI politics is horrible. The two main parties have an effective monopoly on their own tribe and can serve up any old rubbish they like.

Mickeymac

Yes, it's always nice to see evidence, especially regarding the dead...

Indeed mange, think of the Brit shoot to kill victims who never even got their day in court to produce evidence of their innocence.

Hang your head in shame for making such comments.

raetsel

I’m sure there are many lunatics within the DUP who support Wells but that percentage drops off a cliff when you look at DUP voters. NI politics is horrible. The two main parties have an effective monopoly on their own tribe and can serve up any old rubbish they like.
It's more complex than that.
DUP attract voters who don't agree with the party's fundamentalist outlook on gay rights and abortion, just as Sinn Fein attract voters who are not in the least impressed by their chosen party's more liberal stance on the same issues.
That is because of our eternal problem of border politics, which won't ever go away until the border does. In other words these are secondary issues as they are in every democracy.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom