• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Jimmy Savile and his proven and long term connections with the British Army

Heligoland

I was interested to read about the late Jimmy Saville's connections with the British Army.

I didn't realise that he was given a military funeral, despite never having served in the army in any official capacity.

He was also buried with a Royal Marine Beret which he was awarded for some reason.

Savile spent every Christmas with Margaret Thatcher when she was Prime Minister, and his other establishment connections are well known, but what exactly was the attraction to the British Military?

Was he working for them in some capacity?

Boy M5

Surely this thread belongs with the crap the Sunday Peephole published about him and the Provos?
I.e. Heligoland effectively disproves the nonsense the People publshed.

Heligoland

Surely this thread belongs with the crap the Sunday Peephole published about him and the Provos?
I.e. Heligoland effectively disproves the nonsense the People publshed.
I don't think so.

This is a history thread using agreed upon and established facts to discuss reality.

It certainly shouldn't be merged with a thread about spurious and weird fiction.

cricket

So, he was the Provo's inside man in the BA ?

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
So, he was the Provo's inside man in the BA ?
Saville been a Brit army groupie would have more in common with loyalist scum like Johnny Adair ( also a pervert and wife beater BTW ), Mark ' Swinger ' Fulton, Billy Wright, Jim ' Doris Day ' Grey etc.

Last edited:

Heligoland

He was certainly held in high esteem by the Royal Marines. Here is the wreath they gave him.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
He was certainly held in high esteem by the Royal Marines. Here is the wreath they gave him.

Birds of a feather.

" Military police investigate Afghan child abuse claims "
Military police investigate Afghan child abuse claims - Telegraph

" Exclusive: Secret Army squad 'abused Iraqis' "
Exclusive: Secret Army squad 'abused Iraqis' - Home News - UK - The Independent

" Hereford SAS soldier guilty of child abuse charges "
http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/lo...abuse_charges/

picador

Royal Marines Museum - Sir Jimmy Savile's Green Beret

Over an extended period Sir Jimmy completed the Commando Training Course at Lympstone, Devon. In 1966 Sir Jimmy and his brother Vince, then a serving officer with the Royal Navy, completed the gruelling 30 mile march over Dartmoor which has to be done in 8 hours. Jimmy and Vince both finished the march and Jimmy was awarded the coveted green beret.
The Green Beret was presented by the Marines' CO, Lord Mountbatten, whom Savile subsequently befriended, thus beginning his long association with the royal family.

Jack White

One of the links I read earlier in the week said that he had indeed been in the army for a very brief time, until pulled out of it because he was a miner.

He would have been 18 and a half when WW2 ended, so it's possible I supppose. Though I thought that mining was actually a restricted occupation anyway.

He probably didn't know the truth of it himself in the end.

Asparagus

I was interested to read about the late Jimmy Saville's connections with the British Army.

I didn't realise that he was given a military funeral, despite never having served in the army in any official capacity.

He was also buried with a Royal Marine Beret which he was awarded for some reason.

Savile spent every Christmas with Margaret Thatcher when she was Prime Minister, and his other establishment connections are well known, but what exactly was the attraction to the British Military?

He used to groom young privates.

TheLastLazyGun

Savile wasn't given a military funeral.

He just had a group of Royal Marines carry his coffin.

He was awarded an honorary green beret by the marines in the 1970s for completing the Royal Marine Commando speed march, 30 miles across Dartmoor carrying 30lb of kit.

Last edited:

sgtharper

One of the links I read earlier in the week said that he had indeed been in the army for a very brief time, until pulled out of it because he was a miner.He would have been 18 and a half when WW2 ended, so it's possible I supppose. Though I thought that mining was actually a restricted occupation anyway.He probably didn't know the truth of it himself in the end.
Actually he was a "Bevan Boy" and was conscripted to go down the mines rather than into the forces. He was seriously injured in a mining accident during his time "down pit".His Wiki entry is quite informative.

cottage_economist

In the black and white photo he's wearing ordinary walking boots with his socks turned down, non BA hat, and a decidedly non BA hairstyle, with hairnet. I'd say the SLR was deactivated, he'd hardly be allowed to carry one in public if it wasn't, and he was just messing around at a Tory party gathering.

JS was connected with a great many high profile people and organisations, all of whom must now be regretting the association. Doesn't mean to say they had any hand in or awareness of his less charitable activities.

Heligoland

Savile wasn't given a military funeral.

He just had a group of Royal Marines carry his coffin.

So, is that something that is afforded to many people?

Could I order some Royal Marines for a funeral? How much does it cost?

former wesleyan

Marching season must be nearly over.

Boy M5

I don't think so.

This is a history thread using agreed upon and established facts to discuss reality.

It certainly shouldn't be merged with a thread about spurious and weird fiction.
Fair point.

The People article is biazarre & actually unhelpful to the whole clean up that is required after Savile. Lots of organisations inadvertantly helped Savile, if suddenly various inept (& worse) people can suddenly claim their actions were due to fear of paramilitaries then that is unfortunate at best.

One company that should look to its past conduct as regards Savile is surely Trinity Mirror, I wonder if the People ever published anything that was helpful to his activities?

sgtharper

So, is that something that is afforded to many people? Could I order some Royal Marines for a funeral? How much does it cost?
You're missing the point, because of his long-standing connection with the Royal Marines they carried his coffin as a gesture on behalf of the Corps, no doubt authorised at senior officer level. Now that the sh*t has hit the fan so to speak, and his disgusting criminal behaviour has been revealed and exposed for all to see, they are disassociating themselves from him and expunging his memory. Understandably.Is that clear enough for you or have you another misunderstanding we need to clear up?

Aindriu

He had nothing to do with the British Army! Royal Marines are Naval forces!

TheLastLazyGun

So, is that something that is afforded to many people?

Could I order some Royal Marines for a funeral? How much does it cost?
Savile was an honorary Royal Marine.

And if someone can afford such a funeral then why shouldn't they be allowed to pay to have one?