JJ withdraws medals over British anthem at Croker

Jim236

WRITER and former GAA star JJ Barrett is to withdraw his father's medal collection from the Croke Park museum in a protest against the playing of 'God Save the Queen' at next weekend's Ireland versus England rugby match.

Mr Barrett, whose father Joe won six All-Ireland medals, has written to the director general of the GAA asking that the 23 medals be sent back to him prior to the game.

The move comes as extra measures are being put in place in the run-up to next weekend's match.

The medals in question include National League, Munster and Kerry medals, as well as a War of Independence medal. "I cannot reconcile the provocative words of 'God Save the Queen' being sung in the very stadium where Michael Hogan and others died at the hands of the crown forces on Bloody Sunday," he said. "The words run contrary to our constitution and I believe the GAA should have foreseen this problem when they rented out Croke Park and instead insisted on an 'England's Call'-type musical prelude - the sort we are confined to now when we play away from home."

In a letter to Liam Mulvihill, director general of the GAA, Mr Barrett said the GAA had a "duty of care" to GAA members past and present. "The arrogant war-mongering words of 'God Save the Queen' ringing out over Croke Park is surelypushing the boundaries of tolerance and common sense beyond what is expected in any republic."

Joe Barrett is one of the most acclaimed GAA players of all time as well as being a hero of the War of Independence.

Tomorrow, tourism body Visit Britain will host a function in the players' lounge of Croke Park celebrating English culture.

An article from the Indo today. I think its about time someone protested over whats going to happen this Saturday. Having the English rugby team play in Croker is one thing, and this alone has angered a lot of GAA members, but is allowing God Save The Queen not just adding fuel to what is quickly becoming a raging inferno? If the GAA has any princicples whatsoever and values it's members and not the money of foreign sports organisations, then it will demand another anthem be played on behalf of England this Saturday. This issue has been discussed a number of times here, and many are of the opinion that England is like any other nation and deserves to have it's national anthem played, but in reality its not like any other nation. Other nations didn't send their forces to the grounds of Croke Park to shoot dead innocent civilians, for which the British government has never even apologised for. And it amazes me how the English team can be so ignorant to the sensitivity of the issue of their team playing at Croker and they playing their national anthem, that they organise a function on the grounds of Croker celebrating English culture! Now thats really adding fuel to the blaze.

White Horse

Jim236 said:

Mr Barrett, whose father Joe won six All-Ireland medals, has written to the director general of the GAA asking that the 23 medals be sent back to him prior to the game.
I hope the GAA tell him that they don't want these medals back. Sectarism should have no place in Croke Park.

Jim236

White Horse said:
Jim236 said:

I hope the GAA tell him that they don't want these medals back. Sectarism should have no place in Croke Park.
If the GAA ever did that, rejected the medals of one of their most successful players in favour of a British anthem being played on their grounds, then I would lose all respect for the organisation.

quirk

Website
www.southarmagh32.blogspot.com
White Horse said:
Jim236 said:

What to hell does this have to do with sectarianism? absolutely nothing. This is about the national anthem of a country which occupies part of Ireland, being played in the stadium of our national game, the same stadium where their army butchered Irish civilians.

White Horse

quirk said:
What to hell does this have to do with sectarianism? absolutely nothing. This is about the national anthem of a country which occupies part of Ireland, being played in the stadium of our national game, the same stadium where their army butchered Irish civilians.
It has everything to do with sectarianism. The people of Ireland voted recently that Nortern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. God Save The Queen is a legitimate an Irish anthem as the Soldiers Song.

To deny Irishmen in Northern Ireland the right to hear their national anthem played is sectarianism.

rover

quirk said:
This is about the national anthem of a country which occupies part of Ireland, being played in the stadium of our national game, the same stadium where their army butchered Irish civilians.
the british national anthem was already played in croke park at the special olympics

which makes this current hoo-haa all the more pathetic

bobbysands81

I'm not really bothered that England are playing at Croke Park.

However, the playing of God Save the queen will bother me and, if I was there, I would roundly boo it.

As a Republic (and personally as a Republican) the very idea of a monarchy should be abhorrent to this Nation. I believe it is also a sectarian monarchy which bestowes racist awards on people. The very idea of this should have all the FF/FG/Lab/PD heads on here going mad... but they don't for some strange reason. The very idea of a monarchy is a throwback to a backward, outdated and obselete times yet somehow it's all packaged that we're all mature by accepting it, accepting this monarchy is wrong. The words to the song are offensive to many, yes England have a right to have any song they wish as their anthem but then we have a right, as a Republic and a concerned Nation, not to play this song on our land.

I've posted about this on another board and basically I believe that when England have left our land, when they have apologised, when they have made up for centuries of abuse, murder, torture, discrimination, killing etc..., when they have admitted their part in the latest atrocities which have been uncovered, when they stop empire building in lands that have nothing to do with them, then we'll see.

For they STILL go round the world raping, killing, torturing stealing etc... in the name of "progress" and "peace".

All I am doing is disrespecting their anthem, they are STILL disrespecting my country.

bobbysands81

rover said:
quirk said:
This is about the national anthem of a country which occupies part of Ireland, being played in the stadium of our national game, the same stadium where their army butchered Irish civilians.
the british national anthem was already played in croke park at the special olympics

which makes this current hoo-haa all the more pathetic
I don't think it was, I think that's a common mistake.

Can you provide a link?

bobbysands81

White Horse said:
Jim236 said:

Sectarism should have no place in Croke Park.
You're right, sectarianism should have no place in Croke Park and that's exactly why an anthem celebrating a sectarian monarchy should not be played at Croke Park.

Wolverine

The very idea of this should have all the FF/FG/Lab/PD heads on here going mad... but they don't for some strange reason.
Possibly since the thread was started all of 10 whole minutes ago they haven't had time?

Was the GSTQ played at the Special Olympics? If so it has set a precedent. If not then it's open season.

TheBear

Jim236 said:
An article from the Indo today. I think its about time someone protested over whats going to happen this Saturday. Having the English rugby team play in Croker is one thing, and this alone has angered a lot of GAA members, but is allowing God Save The Queen not just adding fuel to what is quickly becoming a raging inferno?
When they voted to open Croke Park to rugby and soccer, they knew England would be playing there. To pretend otherwise is ridiculous.

Jim236 said:
If the GAA has any princicples whatsoever and values it's members and not the money of foreign sports organisations, then it will demand another anthem be played on behalf of England this Saturday.
:roll: It's not as simple as changing the colour of the jersey they wear; it's not like they have an 'away anthem' that they can substitute when there's a clash.

Jim236 said:
This issue has been discussed a number of times here, and many are of the opinion that England is like any other nation and deserves to have it's national anthem played, but in reality its not like any other nation. Other nations didn't send their forces to the grounds of Croke Park to shoot dead innocent civilians, for which the British government has never even apologised for.
I believe such an apology will be given by Peter Hain in the run up to, if not directly preceding, the match on Saturday.

Jim236 said:
And it amazes me how the English team can be so ignorant to the sensitivity of the issue of their team playing at Croker and they playing their national anthem, that they organise a function on the grounds of Croker celebrating English culture! Now thats really adding fuel to the blaze.
Moron. It's not the English team who chose to play in Croke Park rather than elsewhere, it's not the English team who chooses the anthem or whether to play it, and it's not the English team who are organising the event to promote tourism.

st333ve

Isnt this man protesting because its like pissing on the graves of those killed at the bloody sunday masacre.
I dont see any sectarianism in this, i see someone who cares about what the irish have been put through and wants to make a non violent personal protest to this.
People calling this man sectarian is more worrying in my opinion, its almost like people just stereotype republicans as sectarian and completely ignore if he has legitimate reason for what he is doing.
How does this make the man sectarian, he isnt attacking protestants, he has personal reasons for rejecting the playing of the english anthem in croke park and he is perfectly entitled to do what he is doing.

Jim236

It has everything to do with sectarianism. The people of Ireland voted recently that Nortern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom.
10 years ago, thats hardly recent. Nevertheless, that was done in the name of progress, to move towards a United Ireland, which the majority of Irish people still want, and that hasn't changed just because the majority recognise the 6 counties as being part of the UK. Nor is there all of a sudden no resentment towards Britain for what they did to the Irish people, and this resentment won't go away anytime soon.

God Save The Queen is a legitimate an Irish anthem as the Soldiers Song.

To deny Irishmen in Northern Ireland the right to hear their national anthem played is sectarianism.
I think you mean God Save The Queen is as legitimate an anthem as Amhrán na bhFiann. For those who consider GSTQ to be their national anthem, they are not Irish, they are British as far as I'm concerned.

quirk

Website
www.southarmagh32.blogspot.com
White Horse said:
quirk said:
It has everything to do with sectarianism. The people of Ireland voted recently that Nortern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. God Save The Queen is a legitimate an Irish anthem as the Soldiers Song.

Sectarianism has to do with religion. English people are made up of many creeds, so how does opposing this equate with sectarianism.

White Horse

quirk said:
Sectarianism has to do with religion. English people are made up of many creeds, so how does opposing this equate with sectarianism.
Sectarianism doesn't just relate to religion, although that is the most common component.

From Wikipedia
Sectarianism refers (usually pejoratively) to a rigid adherence to a particular sect or party or religious denomination. It often implies discrimination, denunciation, or violence against those outside the sect. The term is most often used to refer to religious sectarianism, involving conflict between members of different religions or denominations of the same religion. It is also frequently used to refer to political sectarianism, generally on the part of a tight-knit political faction or party.

White Horse

Jim236 said:
I think you mean God Save The Queen is as legitimate an anthem as Amhrán na bhFiann. For those who consider GSTQ to be their national anthem, they are not Irish, they are British as far as I'm concerned.
Many of them consider themselves to be both Irish and British. I believe they have a right to this identity.

Jim236

White Horse said:
Jim236 said:
Many of them consider themselves to be both Irish and British. I believe they have a right to this identity.
They can think what they like and they're fully entitled to do so, but that doesn't mean we have to recognise their definition of Irish here.

White Horse

bobbysands81 said:
White Horse said:
Jim236 said:

Sectarism should have no place in Croke Park.
You're right, sectarianism should have no place in Croke Park and that's exactly why an anthem celebrating a sectarian monarchy should not be played at Croke Park.
You do have point here. The British constitution sets a poor example on sectarianism.

bobbysands81

White Horse said:
quirk said:
Sectarianism doesn't just relate to religion, although that is the most common component.

From Wikipedia
Sectarianism refers (usually pejoratively) to a rigid adherence to a particular sect or party or religious denomination. It often implies discrimination, denunciation, or violence against those outside the sect. The term is most often used to refer to religious sectarianism, involving conflict between members of different religions or denominations of the same religion. It is also frequently used to refer to political sectarianism, generally on the part of a tight-knit political faction or party.
It could be argued that supporting one team over another is in fact a sectarian act. Therefore, both sets of fans are implicitly sectarian...

but we know that's not what people mean when they talk about sectarianism.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies