Joan Burton on online abuse of female politicians

O

Oscurito

Joan Burton writes today in the Sunday Independent about the often vicious and poisonous online abuse to which women politicians are subjected. As the most senior female politician during the last government, she became a particular focus of hatred for misogynists.

Mercifully, the vitriol has not reached such a level of intensity that a female politician has been murdered in the RoI. Here it seems to come from the left and there is an ongoing court case about one incident in which left-wing water charge protesters attacked Joan Burton's car.

It's strange indeed that certain left wing parties who are otherwise on message with regard to women's rights have associated themselves with such tendencies. It might not be completely true to say that these parties cheerled such misogyny but they've allowed their social media pages to be a receptacle for such vileness.

And for anyone who doesn't believe me, see these comments that have been on this AAA Facebook post for over a year about Joan Burton. I've edited the more disgusting profanities with asterisks

- The bottom line here is that this woman is an absolute clueless idiot.
- Old battle axe.. Hope she burns in hell. The wicked b**ch!!
- I would carry you to the polling station on my back to get that b**ch out
- Joan the crone will get the axe herself come election time
- Shame on that cruel woman!
- She is a. Rich c**t.
- That woman is a disgrace to the female's of this country .
- CRUEL B**CH!!!!
- Traitor
- time we got rid of the she devil
- Wicked woman
- Think she is evil pure and simple
- she is one ignorant woman
- |S|tupid cow|!!
- And she is just a f**king cow
- Wat planet does this b**ch live on
- A sad greedy old b**ch

Some examples from the gallery of horrors that is People Before Profit's Facebook page can be viewed here.

Shame on them.

Last edited:

ger12

I don't doubt that female politicians are subjected to much more abuse then male politicians.

I also don't believe that any abuse should be tolerated.

However, I don't object to any politician being called "ignorant" or "greedy" or a "disgrace" which you've highlighted.

And until we hear the variety of opinion out there via the media, this abuse won't go away. Just listening to RTE radio today it struck me how we hear the same views over and over as the media is so heavily invested in their own opinion, working to ensure that their opinion is to the fore. It leaves many people frustrated.

Civic_critic2

She never misses an opportunity to jump on a right-wing bandwagon. The woman is a clear and present threat to an enlightened view of freedom and to common sense.

O

Oscurito

I don't doubt that female politicians are subjected to much more abuse then male politicians.

I also don't believe that any abuse should be tolerated.

However, I don't object to any politician being called "ignorant" or "greedy" or a "disgrace" which you've highlighted.

And until we hear the variety of opinion out there via the media, this abuse won't go away. Just listening to RTE radio today it struck me how we hear the same views over and over as the media is so heavily invested in their own opinion, working to ensure that their opinion is to the fore. It leaves many people frustrated.
What about the c-word and the b-word, Ger?

O

Oscurito

She never misses an opportunity to jump on a right-wing bandwagon. The woman is a clear and present threat to an enlightened view of freedom and to common sense.
So opposing online abuse of women is a right-wing bandwagon, is it?

4horsemen

Joan Burton writes today in the Sunday Independent about the often vicious and poisonous online abuse to which women politicians are subjected. As the most senior female politician during the last government, she became a particular focus of hatred for misogynists.

Mercifully, the vitriol has not reached such a level of intensity that a female politician has been murdered in the RoI. Here it seems to come from the left and there is an ongoing court case about one incident in which left-wing water charge protesters attacked Joan Burton's car.

It's strange indeed that certain left wing parties who are otherwise on message with regard to women's rights have associated themselves with such tendencies. It might not be completely true to say that these parties cheerled such misogyny but they've allowed their social media pages to be a receptacle for such vileness.

And for anyone who doesn't believe me, see these comments that have been on this AAA Facebook post for over a year about Joan Burton. I've edited the more disgusting profanities with asterisks

- The bottom line here is that this woman is an absolute clueless idiot.
- Old battle axe.. Hope she burns in hell. The wicked b**ch!!
- I would carry you to the polling station on my back to get that b**ch out
- Joan the crone will get the axe herself come election time
- Shame on that cruel woman!
- She is a. Rich c**t.
- That woman is a disgrace to the female's of this country .
- CRUEL B**CH!!!!
- Traitor
- time we got rid of the she devil
- Wicked woman
- Think she is evil pure and simple
- she is one ignorant woman
- |S|tupid cow|!!
- And she is just a f**king cow
- Wat planet does this b**ch live on
- A sad greedy old b**ch

Shame on them.
You should not find tolerance of such verbal abuse surprising when AAA politicians do not see physical abuse of their opponents as shameful!

ger12

What do you mean? Have I given an impression that they are in any way acceptable?

Cato

Curtailing over-the-top free speech will never be the answer to violence - Independent.ie

Burton may be right to say that "politics in Ireland is rapidly becoming tarnished by poisonous political rhetoric", but who gets to decide which statements are "poisonous rhetoric" and which are simply part of the cut and thrust of healthy debate? When Sinn Fein's Mary Lou McDonald, speaking in the Dail, complained about "chaos and failure" in the health service and said the then Tanaiste's support for Government policy was "obscene", Burton's over-the-top response was to accuse her fellow deputy of unleashing a "tsunami of hatred and invective against me". It was no such thing, but, in saying it was, Burton was encouraging her sympathisers to see McDonald as malign rather than just combative.

Likewise, when Burton referenced "very well-off schools, fee paying schools" in the Dail, before turning to Mary Lou and saying "you'd be familiar with those", why was that not encouraging a climate of personalised insults too? The SF deputy leader can hardly be held responsible for the school to which her parents sent her as a child.

Cato

Do you believe that the use of such words should be discouraged by way of legislation?

greengoose2

Here's more from this post:

https://www.facebook.com/AntiAusterityAlliance/posts/633539796787840

That dirty old good for nothing fokin bag!!!!!!!
joan burton you ugly b**ch or bastred

Why is the moderator of the Facebook page of a supposedly left-wing party not taking action against those who post this venom?

Why are they allowing this stuff to stay online?
Why don't you ask them yourself, Joan? This in not their moderating department - we have enough of our own problems in that regard!

Cato

ger12

I think that's unfair. Women are subjected to much more abuse and perhaps are seen as an easier target by those who bully.

Women from all political persuasions seem to have to deal with more online and often physical abuse than male politicians.

I'm reminded of this thread from some years ago and the awful slagging this politician got.
http://www.politics.ie/forum/united-kingdom/193895-tory-mp-louise-mensch-step-down.html

O

Oscurito

You should not find tolerance of such verbal abuse surprising when AAA politicians do not see physical abuse of their opponents as shameful!
Joan Burton was a particular object of hatred. They tried to work a reference to her into as many Facebook posts as possible and that would be the trigger for the Hounds of Misogyny to start baying.

Civic_critic2

So opposing online abuse of women is a right-wing bandwagon, is it?
So what if they're abused by someone calling them a 'geebag', arsehole, bastárd, cunnt or whatever, it is of no relevance to anyone with any backbone or commitment to freedom. It is of concern to people who have had a century of power to show us what they're made of and unfortuantely have, who now find their cosy little world of public speaking interrupted by a clearly outraged - and justifiably so - larger population and want laws passed to shut them down. She's a narrow-minded little person who has prospered in a rump Vichy state and wants things to remain 'just so' for her own visionless self-edification.

She says "Those in positions of authority..." We all have authority intellectually, her desire to create an apartheid here is not lost on me.

She says "This puts those politicians at a disadvantage because social media has become such an intrinsic medium in the modern age for communicating and engaging with the electorate."
You do not use social media to engage with 'the electorate' - as if they are some lump of 'other' out there, outside her domain - you use social media to enage with, talk with people. Other people.

Given what's at stake - an unparallelled opportunity historically speaking to enage in a free exchange of ideas and to bring in all in achieving a fraction of the country's potential that she and her like have failed to do in a century - then her easy reaching for legislation to begin to shut this down shows exactly what she's made of. She's talking through her arse and should be dismissed.

ger12

Joan Burton was a particular object of hatred. They tried to work a reference to her into as many Facebook posts as possible and that would be the trigger for the Hounds of Misogyny to start baying.
Do you believe had she behaved in a more Statesman like way that perhaps she wouldn't have received this abuse?

O

Oscurito

Do you believe that the use of such words should be discouraged by way of legislation?
I don't think that the legislative approach would be the best approach. But parties facilitating this abuse should be exposed and censured.

Cato

I don't think that the legislative approach would be the best approach. But parties facilitating this abuse should be exposed and censured.
How do you believe they should be censured?

New Threads