• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Joan Burton Steps Down

statsman

As widely expected, Joan Burton has resigned the leadership of the Labour party. Having been mauled at the polls in the GE, this comes as no surprise, but who will replace her?

Joan Burton resigns as Labour Party leader - Independent.ie

The former Tánaiste told the party’s six other TDs and four senators of her decision during a private meeting this afternoon.

She is to hold a press briefing at 4pm when she will outline her plans for the future.

Ms Burton has led the Labour Party for less than two years, having taken over after the local and European elections in July 2014
She will continue to lead the party until her successor is chosen.

Breanainn

Suspect it's AK47's for the taking, unless the anti camp rally behind Sherlock.

'orebel

statsman

Widely reported he'll only run if no-one opposes him, which seems highly unlikely.
If nobody seconds Kelly, then I think it's Howlin's for the asking. If Kelly does get put forward, then Sherlock may get it.

SeanieFitz

Widely reported he'll only run if no-one opposes him, which seems highly unlikely.
SF are the main threat to the resurrection of the Labour party, the new leader had better be a strong performer in the Dail

gerhard dengler

She was on Marian Finucane's programme on Saturday.

Asked about why Labour died in the 2016 election, Burton claimed that she was not aware of how tight the national finances were when Labour made their election promises in March 2011. She claimed that the electorate punished Labour for it's failed promises.

Given that Brian Lenihan had given Michael Noonan and Joan Burton full access to the Department of Finance from October 2010 - when they were both opposition finance spokespersons, it is implausible for Burton to claim that she was not aware of the national finances when Labour made their election promises in 2011.

'orebel

'orebel

When are they likely to decide?

blokesbloke

SOB.

For the best I suppose.

Best Tánaiste Ireland has ever had.... geniuses are never recognised in their own lands.

I wish her well... and I hope she'll remain as a TD so the Dáil retains her intelligent, insightful and vital contribution.

I suppose the issue is there was so much to do and she was basically doing it all alone with no support.

It was clear she struggled serving under Enda Kenny... a nice enough bloke but so clearly her intellectual inferior.

Last edited:

SeanieFitz

She was on Marian Finucane's programme on Saturday.

Asked about why Labour died in the 2016 election, Burton claimed that she was not aware of how tight the national finances were when Labour made their election promises in March 2011. She claimed that the electorate punished Labour for it's failed promises.

Given that Brian Lenihan had given Michael Noonan and Joan Burton full access to the Department of Finance from October 2010 - when they were both opposition finance spokespersons, it is implausible for Burton to claim that she was not aware of the national finances when Labour made their election promises in 2011.
I heard that interview, Brendan O'Connor was in for Marian as they say in media circles. I felt Joan gave a fair account of herself, it shouldn't be forgotten that Eamon was leader at the time and he must take significant responsibility for all the pre-election promises

I reckon Joan deserves some "slack" and I feel history will be generous to her.

sadmal

Let's hope there won't not be any hypocrites in the opposition parties now heaping praise on her as she steps down and wishing her well or is that only when someone retires or dies? The praise bit I mean obviously.

sadcitizen

I feel bad for blokesbloke, but otherwise, good. I don't know what she expected. I've never seen a politician turn so arrogant so quickly.

I presume she wont be disappearing from political life.

Betson

Surely in the interests of fairness someone will second Kelly , they may not like him but if wants to stand for the leadership it would look a bit petty if someone did not 2nd his nomination.

Burton took over when they were on the way down but she can have no complaints , she done nothing to arrest that decline, from the IPhone remarks , cutting the ribbon at a food bank , poor debate and media performances , she had her fair share of gaffes as well and really had no choice but to step down.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies