• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Joan Burton Under Pressure

ger12

Aine Lawlor filled in for Marian today. A lively and interesting discussion where poor Minister Burton was obviously under pressure as all the guests were very scathing at the behavior of the present government.

The guests, Prof. Michael O'Keeffe, ophthalmologist, Michael Clifford, columnist with Irish Examiner, Jim Power, economist and Maureen Gaffney, clinical psychologist, did not shy from speaking what they thought.

I'm posting the link, click on "Sunday newspaper panel, part 1". I reckon it was a most telling piece. At one stage Prof O'Keeffe talking about this government as dictatorship like. Scathing also of Minister Reilly and his plans to go backwards and Minister Shatter's recent behavior.

Marian Finucane Sunday 19 May 2013 - Marian Finucane - RTÉ Radio 1

comet

Is there anyone in the Labour Party capable of joined up thinking? Why is Gilmore allowing members of his party to take the heat on this? If it was a Labour minister you wouldn`t find a Fine Gaeler anywhere near a microphone. This piece of stupidity that Shatter started now has the capacity to hurt Labour more than Fine Gael.
If I was a Labour member or a high profile Labour supporter I would not rest until I made contact with the leadership and made my thoughts abundantly clear.

seanmoylantd

I was listening . A presenter who doesn't interrupt . That Marian F doesn't know broadcasting gold when she hears it . She's like someone with Tournettes . She interrupts for the sake of it.

The Herren

Aine Lawlor filled in for Marian today. A lively and interesting discussion where poor Minister Burton was obviously under pressure as all the guests were very scathing at the behavior of the present government.

The guests, Prof. Michael O'Keeffe, ophthalmologist, Michael Clifford, columnist with Irish Examiner, Jim Power, economist and Maureen Gaffney, clinical psychologist, did not shy from speaking what they thought.

I'm posting the link, click on "Sunday newspaper panel, part 1". I reckon it was a most telling piece. At one stage Prof O'Keeffe talking about this government as dictatorship like. Scathing also of Minister Reilly and his plans to go backwards and Minister Shatter's recent behavior.

Marian Finucane Sunday 19 May 2013 - Marian Finucane - RTÉ Radio 1

I listened and I was appalled how stupid Burton was. For most of the programme she just evaded the Shatter/ Wallace aspect. when she was eventually cornered like the rat she is she said Shatter would be quizzed in the Dail. She refused point blank to avail of the chance to side with the citizens for once and say that if minister Shatter was out of line he would have a case to answer. Instead she did what all of our snivelling politicians do in these situations, she circled the wagons and defended the political establishment to the detriment of truth and democracy and us ordinary citizens. James Connolly espousers my hole!

ger12

Is there anyone in the Labour Party capable of joined up thinking? Why is Gilmore allowing members of his party to take the heat on this? If it was a Labour minister you wouldn`t find a Fine Gaeler anywhere near a microphone. This piece of stupidity that Shatter started now has the capacity to hurt Labour more than Fine Gael.
If I was a Labour member or a high profile Labour supporter I would not rest until I made contact with the leadership and made my thoughts abundantly clear.
Yep, a Labour Minister took the flak for the bigger partner. And she did not come out of it looking well at all.

Northtipp

It is quite odd . I must admit I expected Labour to react as they have done. But I assumed it would be Rabitte or Quinn etc to grace the airwaves and throw mud in defence of their mates. I didn't think Burton would be that daft. She had Created a perception that she was keeping an eye on goings on and somehow wasn't as culpable as the others at the slicing and dicing of Shortall in favour of Reilly, well she scuppered that idea. Id say councillors in the LP must've beyond themselves with worry.

operationbustnation

Typical Shatter and Fine Gael,

Instead of people asking questions of them and them losing ground in their popularity the whole fiasco becomes another bashing for Labour.

They really must be thick in the Labour Party to not realise they are the mud flaps of the government.

Last edited:

dresden8

Typical Shatter and Fine Gael,

Instead of people asking questions of them and them losing ground in their popularity the whole fiasco becomes another bashing for Labour.

They really must be thick in the Labour Party to noe realise they are the mud flaps of the government.
Just hanging on for the pension.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Well the 3 main parties must be laughing all the way to their pensions bank as not one new group has bothered to give us a real choice. What is wrong with us? what does it say about us? We have an excessive amount of choice in nearly everything in our lives and have 3 or 4 political parties and two of those are the same.

Have to admit I find it mind blowing.

tigerben

Well the 3 main parties must be laughing all the way to their pensions bank as not one new group has bothered to give us a real choice. What is wrong with us? what does it say about us? We have an excessive amount of choice in nearly everything in our lives and have 3 or 4 political parties and two of those are the same.

Have to admit I find it mind blowing.

It's seems to be a club were a family seat is nearly willed to the chosen successor , where people have being know to add a name or use a maiden name if it gets them higher on the ballot paper. We have two main parties whose difference now is what side of the civil war they were on, on ethnics in politics you couldn't place a pin between then , and it's only a likability factor on members that's going to make a difference next election. Labour party is made up of politicans who bed hopped so much , until they found themselves in a party they could overrun , it's one party that could never issue loyalty cards for sure. SF will be better with out Gerry, and Mary Lou is been lined up as leader, she was in Midletn last week giving a talk and meet and greeting and it seemed as if she got a great welcome. So these four parties two main and two secondary parties doesn't give much of a choice , the PDs and Greens have left a bad taste in voters minds that even newer smaller parties in power can do as much damage and close their eyes for a walk in the corridors of power. It wont change because those parties don't want change either, as no one knows which voters wil go with a new party and unset the share of "their seats" come election time.

ymmek

It's seems to be a club were a family seat is nearly willed to the chosen successor , where people have being know to add a name or use a maiden name if it gets them higher on the ballot paper. We have two main parties whose difference now is what side of the civil war they were on, on ethnics in politics you couldn't place a pin between then , and it's only a likability factor on members that's going to make a difference next election. Labour party is made up of politicans who bed hopped so much , until they found themselves in a party they could overrun , it's one party that could never issue loyalty cards for sure. SF will be better with out Gerry, and Mary Lou is been lined up as leader, she was in Midletn last week giving a talk and meet and greeting and it seemed as if she got a great welcome. So these four parties two main and two secondary parties doesn't give much of a choice , the PDs and Greens have left a bad taste in voters minds that even newer smaller parties in power can do as much damage and close their eyes for a walk in the corridors of power. It wont change because those parties don't want change either, as no one knows which voters wil go with a new party and unset the share of "their seats" come election time.
This could be interesting tiger if i could only crack the code.

Franzoni

Never thought Burton would be so stupid as to go on the national airwaves to defend a clown who hung himself out of his own gob on national television...

Creditibility zero...goodbye Labour.......

tipp revolution

Gilmore will take any opportunity to put burton under pressure I hope she wipes the floor with him when her opportunity comes

SPN

Is there anyone in Amateur-FF the Labour Party capable of joined up thinking?
No!

Why is Gilmore allowing members of his party to take the heat on this?
Because he hasn't qualified for the full Ministerial Pension yet.

If it was an Amateur-FF a Labour minister you wouldn`t find a Fine Gaeler anywhere near a microphone.
Leo Varadkar, The Leprechaun Hayes, or Shatter will always gravitate towards a proffered microphone.

[ This piece of stupidity that Shatter started now has the capacity to hurt Amateur-FF Labour more than Fine Gael.
Excellent.

If I was an Amateur-FF a Labour member or a high profile Amateur-FF Labour supporter I would not rest until I made contact with the leadership and made my thoughts abundantly clear.
The "Leadership" would simply point at the calendar and the date on which their full Bertie-scale pensions vest and tell you to fvck off.

sic transit

Gilmore will take any opportunity to put burton under pressure I hope she wipes the floor with him when her opportunity comes
She still looks like the one most likely to take the leadership when he retires , as he may well do at the next election.

SPN

Last edited:

sic transit

Never thought Burton would be so stupid as to go on the national airwaves to defend a clown who hung himself out of his own gob on national television...

Creditibility zero...goodbye Labour.......
It's not a reality TV popularity contest. That's what parties do in government, defend what they've done collectively.

sic transit

That will definitely finish of the parasitical hypocrites once and for all.

Joan Burton on Tonight with Vincent Browne 24/01/2011 - YouTube
I really don't know why people keep posting links to that cranky bloke with the superego laying into people. I know it soothes some into a peaceful slumber but for the rest of us he's a dreary worn-out record. On Labour they'll lose a fair number of seats for sure but nowhere near the numbers some wish for. They will continue to have support in groups who like to vote left because it makes them feel good.

greengoose2

She still looks like the one most likely to take the leadership when he retires , as he may well do at the next election.
Frankly, as the Lady from Gone With the Wind would say, Burton would make an excellent leader in the mould of the current and former leaders. Spout shyte, row back and collect any FF/FG slurry that might stick! Yes indeed, a standard, waffling, hypocritical nonentity of a joke politician leading a joke political party.

Well spotted!