Job Path

Expose the lot of them

Jobpath, just like Jobbridge, was designed to resolve the revolving door whereby employers wanted experience, but someone starting off or longterm unemployed has little or none in the workforce. Sure it may need to be reformed to combat exploitation. But I recall that unions used to support upskilling. This is part of that.
Rubbish, jobbridge was exploitation pure and simple and championed by those stalwarts of the "labour" party, iphone joan and AK47. You can bet that their children where not forced to work for free for some rogue employer, and both, iphone in particular is well cushioned with multiple taxpayer funded pensions.

As for jobpath, another way to fleece the taxpayers to benefit the well connected.

Neither offered any realistic or credible form of upskilling.

Dame_Enda

Rubbish, jobbridge was exploitation pure and simple and championed by those stalwarts of the "labour" party, iphone joan and AK47. You can bet that their children where not forced to work for free for some rogue employer, and both, iphone in particular is well cushioned with multiple taxpayer funded pensions.

As for jobpath, another way to fleece the taxpayers to benefit the well connected.

Well I think there has to be room for new people to get training in a workplace environment, without employers having to pay full wage rates during their training. We need to encourage the growth of apprenticeships.

I think the unions are trying to reduce the supply of labour to keep wages higher. The other end of the scale are employers looking to bring in cheap labour to force it down. The middle way is to allow local people to get some work experience potentially on lower wages during the training. After all, its better for wage rates that new employees will work for Irish wage rates rather than slave pay, and training is part of how we get there.

Round tower

It would be interesting if there was a survey of those who took part in Jobridge. what % got full time employment in the company’s they did the job ridge or got full time employment as a result of the Jobbridge program.

Expose the lot of them

Well I think there has to be room for new people to get training in a workplace environment, without employers having to pay full wage rates during their training. We need to encourage the growth of apprenticeships.

I think the unions are trying to reduce the supply of labour to keep wages higher. The other end of the scale are employers looking to bring in cheap labour to force it down. The middle way is to allow local people to get some work experience potentially on lower wages during the training. After all, its better for wage rates that new employees will work for Irish wage rates rather than slave pay, and training is part of how we get there.
There are absolutely no circumstances, none, ever, where it is acceptable for anyone to work for nothing, that is slave labour, pure and simple. Every worker must be paid, there are approved rates for those in registered apprenticeships, all others must receive the national minimum wage, at the very least.

We saw the behaviour of rogue employers when given the opportunity to undercut their ethical competitors, under the guise of "internships" to avail of free labour, aided and abetted by the so-called "labour" party, this must never be allowed to happen again.

I employ interns, from undergraduates to PhDs, they are get the benefit of meaningful projects aligned to their course of studies and approved by the tutors/supervisors. All are paid, above the minimum wage, all have a positive learning experience and exposure to the workplace. They return to their universities with a very positive view of the company, thus enhancing the brand, something very important in a candidate driven market. I hope that some will return as full time employees when they complete their studies.

That is what an internship is, not an opportunity for some scumbag cafe owner to get free labour.

milipod

There are absolutely no circumstances, none, ever, where it is acceptable for anyone to work for nothing, that is slave labour, pure and simple. Every worker must be paid, there are approved rates for those in registered apprenticeships, all others must receive the national minimum wage, at the very least.

We saw the behaviour of rogue employers when given the opportunity to undercut their ethical competitors, under the guise of "internships" to avail of free labour, aided and abetted by the so-called "labour" party, this must never be allowed to happen again.

I employ interns, from undergraduates to PhDs, they are get the benefit of meaningful projects aligned to their course of studies and approved by the tutors/supervisors. All are paid, above the minimum wage, all have a positive learning experience and exposure to the workplace. They return to their universities with a very positive view of the company, thus enhancing the brand, something very important in a candidate driven market. I hope that some will return as full time employees when they complete their studies.

That is what an internship is, not an opportunity for some scumbag cafe owner to get free labour.
Agreed.

edg

No doubt delivered by one of the other "preferred suppliers", if they were doing their job properly, and not just intent on lining their pockets, they would help you explore options for a career change/upskilling.
They paid for both a family member and also a friend of mine for training they couldn't afford themselves on the dole and both have been working for over a year in their jobs.

Degeneration X

Dublin People - Local TDs call for end to JobPath programme

"Dublin Bay North TD Denise Mitchell (SF) and Dublin Fingal TD Brendan Ryan (Lab) are among the public representatives calling for JobPath to be scrapped."

"Deputy Mitchell said JobPath is nothing more than a moneymaking scheme for private companies which ignores those most in need of support to re-enter the workforce.

“JobPath is nothing more than an attempt to privatise and outsource our social welfare system and it has been a complete disaster,” she said.

Deputy Mitchell said the companies get paid a registration fee for every jobseeker on their books.

“It has decimated many of our Community Employment schemes because people who would have preferred to work in a CE Scheme found themselves being threatened with having their dole cut if they did not sign-up to JobPath instead,” she argued.

Deputy Mitchell claimed that JobPath seems to ignore lower-skilled unemployed persons. "

"Meanwhile, Deputy Ryan said pressure from the Troika to set up JobPath came in the context of very high unemployment.

“The crisis of record high unemployment has been addressed, but much work remains to be done to help move back into work and education,” he said.

“The greatest concern for policymakers and politicians was the prospect of a generation of workers becoming long term unemployed and lost to the world of work, as happened in the 1980s.

Thankfully that has been avoided. It is our view that public and community services are much better placed now to deliver the tailored supports to workers, rather than for profit entities.”

Deputy Ryan added: “The Department should go back to fully supporting the Local Employment Service, and resourcing Community Employment schemes, along with education and training programmes to help those most distant from the workforce to reskill and equip themselves for work."

Surprised to see such common sense coming from Ryan but there it is. I wonder if Doherty could name a single individual of the supposed 46000 who have supposedly gone back to work due to the scheme - has an air of Enda style spoofery, in truth.

edg

Dublin People - Local TDs call for end to JobPath programme

"Dublin Bay North TD Denise Mitchell (SF) and Dublin Fingal TD Brendan Ryan (Lab) are among the public representatives calling for JobPath to be scrapped."

"Deputy Mitchell said JobPath is nothing more than a moneymaking scheme for private companies which ignores those most in need of support to re-enter the workforce.

“JobPath is nothing more than an attempt to privatise and outsource our social welfare system and it has been a complete disaster,” she said.

Deputy Mitchell said the companies get paid a registration fee for every jobseeker on their books.

“It has decimated many of our Community Employment schemes because people who would have preferred to work in a CE Scheme found themselves being threatened with having their dole cut if they did not sign-up to JobPath instead,” she argued.

Deputy Mitchell claimed that JobPath seems to ignore lower-skilled unemployed persons. "

"Meanwhile, Deputy Ryan said pressure from the Troika to set up JobPath came in the context of very high unemployment.

“The crisis of record high unemployment has been addressed, but much work remains to be done to help move back into work and education,” he said.

“The greatest concern for policymakers and politicians was the prospect of a generation of workers becoming long term unemployed and lost to the world of work, as happened in the 1980s.

Thankfully that has been avoided. It is our view that public and community services are much better placed now to deliver the tailored supports to workers, rather than for profit entities.”

Deputy Ryan added: “The Department should go back to fully supporting the Local Employment Service, and resourcing Community Employment schemes, along with education and training programmes to help those most distant from the workforce to reskill and equip themselves for work."

Surprised to see such common sense coming from Ryan but there it is. I wonder if Doherty could name a single individual of the supposed 46000 who have supposedly gone back to work due to the scheme - has an air of Enda style spoofery, in truth.
I stopped reading your post after this,

"Deputy Mitchell said JobPath is nothing more than a moneymaking scheme for private companies which ignores those most in need of support to re-enter the workforce."

That makes no sense.
If the company only makes its money by getting people jobs, then how or why would they forsake profit by ignoring people who want jobs?

Also, when did you start believing and quoting politicians? :)

Strawberry

I stopped reading your post after this,

"Deputy Mitchell said JobPath is nothing more than a moneymaking scheme for private companies which ignores those most in need of support to re-enter the workforce."

That makes no sense.
If the company only makes its money by getting people jobs, then how or why would they forsake profit by ignoring people who want jobs?

Also, when did you start believing and quoting politicians? :)
It makes perfect sense - those most in need of support to re-enter the workforce are the least employable. If this lot are getting commission for every person on their scheme who gets a job it would make sense that they are concentrating most of their efforts on the ones who are easiest to place and ignoring the ones with a low education level or confidence issues or whatever it is they need support with.

edg

It makes perfect sense - those most in need of support to re-enter the workforce are the least employable. If this lot are getting commission for every person on their scheme who gets a job it would make sense that they are concentrating most of their efforts on the ones who are easiest to place and ignoring the ones with a low education level or confidence issues or whatever it is they need support with.
The people who don't need their help would get jobs by themselves. If they only get paid for getting people jobs, I'm sure they would concentrate on the ones who cant get jobs without their help. A close family member of mine was in a bad way when she started with them. Hadn't worked in years and was on medication for depression (still is on meds). They helped her get a CE job in catering then around 3-4 months later contacted her with a fulltime job in a hotel. She's still works in the hotel. No way would she have done that by herself.

Strawberry

The people who don't need their help would get jobs by themselves. If they only get paid for getting people jobs, I'm sure they would concentrate on the ones who cant get jobs without their help. A close family member of mine was in a bad way when she started with them. Hadn't worked in years and was on medication for depression (still is on meds). They helped her get a CE job in catering then around 3-4 months later contacted her with a fulltime job in a hotel. She's still works in the hotel. No way would she have done that by herself.
A lot of them do get jobs by themselves while they're on the scheme and then the Job Path people get commission for it. Its good that they helped your family member but that's not everybody's experience of them. There are two people who work with me who were on Job Path when they found the job with us off their own bat, and they both said it was a waste of time but Job Path still got onto us looking for details so they could claim their commission.

Round tower

Well done on your family member who has got a full time job, people can get a job through JobPath directly and indirectly, people on JP has a better chance of a getting a job than those who are not on it. When u get on JP u get into JP portal jobs website, on the job website u see jobs on the site where u wont see on any other job sites, aalso while on JP i have applied for jobs that i did not see on other job websites.
So SF and the Lab. TD wants JP to be scrapped, what will happen to the people employed by these companies, made unemployed, if it's scrapped their has to be something ssimuler put in place for the 100,000 + still unemployed.

The OD

Come back to us when you have worked for free for several months.

Actually, come back to us when you have actually worked, free or paid.

The OD

Jobpath is now a waste of Tax payers money it should not be renewed.
Jobpath, Leo and his moronic cabinet, Fianna Gael - so many different things you can add to the above!

SamsonS

Jobpath is now a waste of Tax payers money it should not be renewed.
Well the contract finishes this year I believe. Also Dept is thinking about how some of its other schemes are delivered, Job Clubs and LES.

You have to remember that all these areas are small costs in the context of dept budget of 20b, but this is one of the few areas they can save some money, and they really need to save money to pay the pensions bill which is jumping about 400m each year

Degeneration X

I don't see why we need Seetec or Turas Nua to put people on CE schemes - the people working in the Intereo offices were doing just that for donkey's years before this lot were given their racket by the government.

Expose the lot of them

think that poster has connections with the companies that are running that scam.

Round tower

think that poster has connections with the companies that are running that scam.
So are u saying that anyone who offers any support of Seetec must have some conections with them companies, does that include me who over the couple of years has spoken ver positive of Seetec through my experience.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies