Job Path

Big Phil

In February of this year the Dail voted by 81 votes to 42 to end the referral of jobseekers to the Fine Gael led government’s JobPath scheme. As this was a Private Members’ Bill the vote is non-binding but it is high time that this country confronted the modern day scandal and horror that is JobPath.

This scheme was set up in 2015 during the tenure of former Tanaiste and Minister for Social Protection Joan Burton of the Labour Party. It amounts to a betrayal of the working class and is on a par with many aspects of the historical Magdalene Homes scandal.

It was recently disclosed that only 7% of JobPath ‘clients’ (i.e. unemployed citizens) were still in employment after 12 months. This despite the fact that JobPath involves two private companies receiving €150 million euro in public money. The targets of this scheme are vulnerable people who are classed as ‘long term unemployed’. It’s worth recognising that the Department of Social Protection and the two private companies; Turas Nua and Seetec, which it collaborates with to force impoverished people into JobPath, class anyone who has not worked for a minimum of twelve months in the past two years as ‘long term unemployed’. This is irrespective of the fact that the jobseeker may have recently finished a lengthy period of temporary full-time employment of up to eleven months. These people are still classed as ‘long term unemployed even though in reality this is not the case.

Recent research conducted by Dr Ray Griffin and Dr Tom Boland from the Waterford Un/Employed Research Collaborative has concluded that the impact of JobPath on those forced to participate in the scheme has been overtly negative. Not a single individual of the 121 people interviewed by the Waterford researchers acknowledged a positive experience. Many described the scheme as threatening, bullying, patronising and manipulative.

In evidence given to the Joint Committee of Employment Affairs and Social Protection, Dr Tom Boland of Waterford Institute of Technology pointed out that sanctions against a vulnerable unemployed person had become more oppressive and punitive since the arrival of JobPath. When a JobPath company recommends someone for sanction, the Department of Social Protection acts as a rubber stamp. It does not investigate the matter in any way. With this in mind, perhaps the Department should consider dropping the word ‘Protection’ from its name as this seems to be a case of false advertising.

As part of JobPath, the private companies refuse to record precisely what the unemployed people’s academic qualifications are. For example, if you have a degree, they will record on their system that you are educated to degree level but will not record what your degree is in. This is quite deliberate as these companies are intent on suppressing the unemployed person’s social identity and forcing them through coercion into low-skilled jobs that are usually unrelated to any significant qualifications that they may already have. This deprives the unemployed person of gaining a career in an area relevant to their existing qualifications and ensures they are forced into low-skilled insecure employment. Every parent in the country who has supported their child through education should be up in arms about this kind of practice.

Staff in these companies operating JobPath do not disclose their own qualifications (if any) to the unemployed people forced to attend JobPath. This means there is no evidence that JobPath staff are qualified for the roles they claim to be doing. Furthermore, why should anyone trust their judgements without any evidence of competency?

JobPath and other government backed schemes fail to acknowledge the real causes of long term unemployment. These can be as obvious as someone’s geographical location. For example, someone who lives in the countryside away from centres of job growth. However, the main cause tends to be intergenerational poverty whereby a disadvantaged family lack the money and resources to educate their children and do not have access to the social networks whereby many people make the connections that can lead to future employment opportunities.

JobPath does nothing to address these problems. In fact, it is more focused on down-skilling and de-skilling unemployed citizens by either forcing them into low-paid and low-skilled jobs or providing cover to the Department of Social Protection to cut their welfare payments, through a system of cruel sanctions, thus further impoverishing already impoverished people.
Many have called for a public inquiry into JobPath and I certainly think there should be a proper and thorough investigation into the JobPath scheme and the companies that profit from it.

I believe JobPath is a breach of basic human rights. The right to dignity, the freedom of movement, the right to self-determination and the right to privacy. The Fine Gael Minister for Social Protection Regina Doherty refuses to recognise this fact and instead has chosen to ignore what is an obvious betrayal of working class people on her watch. For this reason, I believe she should resign.

edg

In February of this year the Dail voted by 81 votes to 42 to end the referral of jobseekers to the Fine Gael led government’s JobPath scheme. As this was a Private Members’ Bill the vote is non-binding but it is high time that this country confronted the modern day scandal and horror that is JobPath.

This scheme was set up in 2015 during the tenure of former Tanaiste and Minister for Social Protection Joan Burton of the Labour Party. It amounts to a betrayal of the working class and is on a par with many aspects of the historical Magdalene Homes scandal.

It was recently disclosed that only 7% of JobPath ‘clients’ (i.e. unemployed citizens) were still in employment after 12 months. This despite the fact that JobPath involves two private companies receiving €150 million euro in public money. The targets of this scheme are vulnerable people who are classed as ‘long term unemployed’. It’s worth recognising that the Department of Social Protection and the two private companies; Turas Nua and Seetec, which it collaborates with to force impoverished people into JobPath, class anyone who has not worked for a minimum of twelve months in the past two years as ‘long term unemployed’. This is irrespective of the fact that the jobseeker may have recently finished a lengthy period of temporary full-time employment of up to eleven months. These people are still classed as ‘long term unemployed even though in reality this is not the case.

Recent research conducted by Dr Ray Griffin and Dr Tom Boland from the Waterford Un/Employed Research Collaborative has concluded that the impact of JobPath on those forced to participate in the scheme has been overtly negative. Not a single individual of the 121 people interviewed by the Waterford researchers acknowledged a positive experience. Many described the scheme as threatening, bullying, patronising and manipulative.

In evidence given to the Joint Committee of Employment Affairs and Social Protection, Dr Tom Boland of Waterford Institute of Technology pointed out that sanctions against a vulnerable unemployed person had become more oppressive and punitive since the arrival of JobPath. When a JobPath company recommends someone for sanction, the Department of Social Protection acts as a rubber stamp. It does not investigate the matter in any way. With this in mind, perhaps the Department should consider dropping the word ‘Protection’ from its name as this seems to be a case of false advertising.

As part of JobPath, the private companies refuse to record precisely what the unemployed people’s academic qualifications are. For example, if you have a degree, they will record on their system that you are educated to degree level but will not record what your degree is in. This is quite deliberate as these companies are intent on suppressing the unemployed person’s social identity and forcing them through coercion into low-skilled jobs that are usually unrelated to any significant qualifications that they may already have. This deprives the unemployed person of gaining a career in an area relevant to their existing qualifications and ensures they are forced into low-skilled insecure employment. Every parent in the country who has supported their child through education should be up in arms about this kind of practice.

Staff in these companies operating JobPath do not disclose their own qualifications (if any) to the unemployed people forced to attend JobPath. This means there is no evidence that JobPath staff are qualified for the roles they claim to be doing. Furthermore, why should anyone trust their judgements without any evidence of competency?

JobPath and other government backed schemes fail to acknowledge the real causes of long term unemployment. These can be as obvious as someone’s geographical location. For example, someone who lives in the countryside away from centres of job growth. However, the main cause tends to be intergenerational poverty whereby a disadvantaged family lack the money and resources to educate their children and do not have access to the social networks whereby many people make the connections that can lead to future employment opportunities.

JobPath does nothing to address these problems. In fact, it is more focused on down-skilling and de-skilling unemployed citizens by either forcing them into low-paid and low-skilled jobs or providing cover to the Department of Social Protection to cut their welfare payments, through a system of cruel sanctions, thus further impoverishing already impoverished people.
Many have called for a public inquiry into JobPath and I certainly think there should be a proper and thorough investigation into the JobPath scheme and the companies that profit from it.

I believe JobPath is a breach of basic human rights. The right to dignity, the freedom of movement, the right to self-determination and the right to privacy. The Fine Gael Minister for Social Protection Regina Doherty refuses to recognise this fact and instead has chosen to ignore what is an obvious betrayal of working class people on her watch. For this reason, I believe she should resign.
Wow, what a long post. You must have a lot of time on your hands.
Did you spend more time writing that post than you did looking for a job? Be honest now!

Round tower

How long can it continue with stats like these?
"JobPath figures for the last four years show that of the 51,548 people who commenced work under the programme, the majority only stayed in a job for a period of 13 weeks (31,186).

A total of 24,234 people sustained work for 26 weeks, while 18,808 sustained work for 39 weeks"

I would think that then figures would not be JobPath fault, it's the people who got them jobs and more than likely never wanted to work

I w

Degeneration X

"JobPath figures for the last four years show that of the 51,548 people who commenced work under the programme, the majority only stayed in a job for a period of 13 weeks (31,186).

A total of 24,234 people sustained work for 26 weeks, while 18,808 sustained work for 39 weeks"

I would think that then figures would not be JobPath fault, it's the people who got them jobs and more than likely never wanted to work

I w
It is the fault of JobPath if it's doing what it's supposed to be doing.

Sweet Darling

I believe JobPath is a breach of basic human rights. The right to dignity, the freedom of movement, the right to self-determination and the right to privacy. The Fine Gael Minister for Social Protection Regina Doherty refuses to recognise this fact and instead has chosen to ignore what is an obvious betrayal of working class people on her watch. For this reason, I believe she should re
Small price to pay for taxpayer handouts

Dame_Enda

Whether its Job-bridge or Job-path, vested interests particularly in the unions have strongly opposed them, fearing they could become mechanisms for cheap labour that might ultimately replace their members. This is a legitimate concern. However it should be understood that one benefit of these policies is that they help address the Catch-22 problem, or trying to find a job when you don't have experience. Most of the jobs in my locality require long prior experience, especially in IT and accounts. Jobbridge and Job Path in part are designed to resolve this issue by helping the longterm unemployed find experience.

Dame_Enda

Why has the State training fund got a surplus of nearly half a billion? Employers pay a 1% levy and are supposed to get in return access to this fund for upskilling workers. Why isnt the government spending it?

Ill tell you why. Because of a Tory ideology in FG.

Sweet Darling

Why has the State training fund got a surplus of nearly half a billion? Employers pay a 1% levy and are supposed to get in return access to this fund for upskilling workers. Why isnt the government spending it?

Ill tell you why. Because of a Tory ideology in FG.
"Tory ideology"? Please expand.

Dorcha

Well said, Big Phill. The only problem is your post is so long and some other posters' attention span is so short.

Dorcha

Small price to pay for taxpayer handouts
We're all tax payers in one way or another. I have no problem if my tax goes to help fellow citizens who are less fortunate. What I object to is the government squandering it on incompetent clowns like the people responsible for the massively over-budget Childrens’ hospital.

Sweet Darling

We're all tax payers in one way or another. I have no problem if my tax goes to help fellow citizens who are less fortunate. What I object to is the government squandering it on incompetent clowns like the people responsible for the massively over-budget Childrens’ hospital.
Like all the big capital projects that went before it , motorways. port tunnel, etc six months after it is build all will be forgotten and we will be boasting about it.

Dorcha

Like all the big capital projects that went before it , motorways. port tunnel, etc six months after it is build all will be forgotten and we will be boasting about it.
If it will be forgotten it will mean that the same careless mistakes will be made over and over again. That's depressing.

Big Phil

Unemployed citizens forced on to Jobpath are taxpayers. This false inference that they are not taxpayers is just a statement of class bigotry and ignorance on the poster's part.

There is no hand-out here as the participants own tax contributions go towards paying for this ill-thought-out and socially corrosive Department of Social Protection scheme. As a proportion of their income, poor people pay more tax than rich people in this country.

The reason Jobpath participants don't stay in the 'jobs' that they are forced into by the private companies administering the scheme on behalf of the Department of Social Protection is because the quality of these jobs is bottom of the barrel poor quality.

Furthermore, the low quality staff in these two private companies don't appear to have any qualifications in recruitment or human resources. They are generally from telesales backgrounds and are trying to pass themselves off as recruitment agents with typically disastrous consequences.

Big Phil

Do not confuse Jobpath with Jobbridge. They are completely different and unrelated. Jobpath removes agency from the participants and attempts to force them against their will into low quality short term 'jobs'. It is essentially nothing more than a bullying and harassment operation run by two private companies, one of which, despite its deliberately deceptive Irish language name is in fact a British company.

Once a participant is on JobPath their rights go out the window and the Department of Social Protection washes their hands of most of their obligations to unemployed citizens. This is the whole point of Jobpath. It is all about removing the legal protections and rights of unemployed citizens.

Unlike the Department of Social Protection, the private companies do not have the same legal obligations to the unemployed. This is how and why the bullying and harassment starts.

Essentially, the Department of Social Protection have sold out the very citizens that they are supposed to be protecting. Those who are most at risk of consistent poverty.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies