Jobs Expo for Ex-Prisoners in Dublin Today

General Urko

I must say that I welcome this initiative and of course I am mindful also that probably a few posters here might be directly inrerested in it!petunia

Jobs expo for ex-prisoners to take place today | Newstalk

If the prison system has any rehabilitative aspect to it, than ex prisoners should be given help and treated humanely while they are in prison! I'm not calling for holiday camps!

From the linked article -

Mountjoy jail will host the event which aims to cut reoffending rates by reintegrating ex-inmates into society.

Yesterday, it was revealed that the number of people incarcerated across Ireland had dropped.

Organisers say many of those coming out of prison these days are keen to get into full-time employment.

Productively engaged
Over 30 SME employers and other services will set up interview and information stands in Mountjoy prison.

Employers will interview and assess more than 40 prisoners who have earned the opportunity for selection.

The chosen candidates are those that have spent their time productively engaged with in-prison services to acquire a valuable skill or trade making them more job ready than when they began their sentence.

A key objective of the Expo is to showcase the range of education and skills training provided by the Irish Prison Service and assure employers of the full support

It will be launched by the Minister of State for Justice, David Stanton this morning during a breakfast briefing hosted by campus Governor Brian Murphy.

IASIO
The Irish Association for the Social Integration of Offenders (IASIO) are a non-profit national criminal justice organisation who are tasked with providing alternatives to crime for people on probation and in prison.

In terms of the figures for IASIO placements from 2012 – 2016:

-5,342 people have been placed into education

-3,204 people have been placed into training

-4,829 people have been placed into employment

-Over 3,000 people have accessed resettlement supports

General Urko

Lads there is probably still a bit of time left for ye to catch the bus to it!:rolleyes:

cricket

I must say that I welcome this initiative and of course I am mindful also that probably a few posters here might be directly inrerested in it!petunia

If the prison system has any rehabilitative aspect to it, than ex prisoners should be given help and treated humanely while they are in prison! I'm not calling for holiday camps!

Mountjoy jail will host the event which aims to cut reoffending rates by reintegrating ex-inmates into society.

Yesterday, it was revealed that the number of people incarcerated across Ireland had dropped.

Organisers say many of those coming out of prison these days are keen to get into full-time employment.

Productively engaged
Over 30 SME employers and other services will set up interview and information stands in Mountjoy prison.

Employers will interview and assess more than 40 prisoners who have earned the opportunity for selection.

The chosen candidates are those that have spent their time productively engaged with in-prison services to acquire a valuable skill or trade making them more job ready than when they began their sentence.

A key objective of the Expo is to showcase the range of education and skills training provided by the Irish Prison Service and assure employers of the full support

It will be launched by the Minister of State for Justice, David Stanton this morning during a breakfast briefing hosted by campus Governor Brian Murphy.

IASIO
The Irish Association for the Social Integration of Offenders (IASIO) are a non-profit national criminal justice organisation who are tasked with providing alternatives to crime for people on probation and in prison.

A great initiative.

realistic1

Productively engaged

IASIO

Fair enough , it is good to see certain crims getting a second chance, but could this be another case of crime does pay. Will law abiding Citizens be deprived of work because ex-crims may be getting priority?

General Urko

Fair enough , it is good to see certain crims getting a second chance, but could this be another case of crime does pay. Will law abiding Citizens be deprived of work because ex-crims may be getting priority?
I don't see that happening!

Some good chances and jobs may come from it, but if you are essentially a psychopath or a sociopath, which a good deal of cons and excons are, you won't be retained in employment for long, unless of course you are in the public sector or top level managerial class in the private sector and I doubt those positions will be on offer!

Interestingly, crime rates apparently fell during The Celtic tiger, which was probably down to the fact that ladz who would otherwise be engaged in criminality were to busy working!

razorblade

While i do believe some deserve a 2nd chance they should still be at the back of the line behind those those who are decent law abiding citizens who have found themselves through no fault of their own on hard times and need desperatly to get back in the workforce to support their young families.

General Urko

I think it is also fair enough to say that many ladz find themselves doing porridge due to poor life chances, there are probably at least as many tossers from D4 backgrounds who will never see the inside of a place like The Joy, who should or would be there under different circumstances!

Betson

Good initiative I think , nothing wrong with giving those who want a second chance and have shown a willingness to change.

sadcitizen

Nothing wrong with it, except I don't like the idea that they've to jump through the expo nightmare if it's meant to be part of their rehabilitation. Is there no way to just give them a job in the area they're working at, at least temporarily?

The idea that a potentially risky and psychologically vulnerable person is being purposely exposed to rejection is stupid and short sighted.

General Urko

Nothing wrong with it, except I don't like the idea that they've to jump through the expo nightmare if it's meant to be part of their rehabilitation. Is there no way to just give them a job in the area they're working at, at least temporarily?

The idea that a potentially risky and psychologically vulnerable person is being purposely exposed to rejection is stupid and short sighted.
Still no point in snowflaking them either, the vast vast majority did commit crimes which would have impacted quite severely on the lives of innocent people!

shoneen

Good. I hope it works out for some people. Everyone - ok almost everyone - deserves a second chance.

realistic1

I don't see that happening!

Some good chances and jobs may come from it, but if you are essentially a psychopath or a sociopath, which a good deal of cons and excons are, you won't be retained in employment for long, unless of course you are in the public sector or top level managerial class in the private sector and I doubt those positions will be on offer!

Interestingly, crime rates apparently fell during The Celtic tiger, which was probably down to the fact that ladz who would otherwise be engaged in criminality were to busy working!
Do you honestly believe any crime stats that emanates from the powers that be, in this Flawed State.

Twitter
LoL
I think Michael would be a splendid candidate if he was willing to join FG.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Lowry

Maybe Ray would see his way to joining FG. We really really need his caliber of socio-path-finder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Burke_(Irish_politician)

You can see clearly by their pension entitlements that they made valuable contributions to the State.

Or maybe Dobber. Or maybe the dead guy from Moscow. He'd be good if only we could dig him up.

What about Boner? I mean Bono.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I hate to say it but I wouldn't give an ex con a job under any circumstances.

Many criminals are afflicted with differing forms of mental illness - not anything that could excuse their crimes mind, but they usually (but not always) have had such an irregular and/or terrible upbringing that its very, very difficult for them to change.

Aggression issues, inability to concentrate, educational deficits, problems with forming proper relationships and with intimacy, substance abuse, inability to foresee consequences of their actions, lack of empathy and compassion, dishonesty, they are a veritable smorgasbord of personality disorders and many fit the same profile of those who join terrorist organisations and the military. There are also many criminals

I probably sound overly harsh and I agree everyone deserves a second chance but if I had to choose between someone with a criminal record and someone without there is no scenario in which I could see me hiring someone with a record.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

Productively engaged

IASIO

Fair enough viewpoint, but what about those prisoners who claim to be members of an army that is fighting for Ireland's freedom, and see themselves as unrepentant?

They will not have been rehabilitated. So should they receive any help once they get out of prison?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies