• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Joe Brolly - a true Irish hero & the best of what our Country is about.

Dublin 4

I'm surprised that no-one has started a thread on this matter - maybe it touches on too much altruism & kindness :|

Joe was one of the all time greats in his day & it was striking to see him on the Late Late at the weekend.

Former Derry GAA player Joe Brolly is recovering in a London hospital after donating a kidney to a fellow coach from St Brigid's GAC in Belfast.

BBC News - Joe Brolly donates kidney to St Brigid's GAC coach

Unfortunately the Kidney swap did not work out & both parties are inhibited - Joe less so.

It was an incredible act of decency, selflessness & bravery on Joe's part.

Every country in the world has it's heroes & villans.

As stated on this Site a Million times - we have our own here too.

The Irish are well known for their contribution to world progress through the Missions, the Police Depts, Fire Depts & Hospitals of New York, Chicago all the way to New Zealand & much more.

We have a lot to be proud of - although our economy is in freefall.

Let's take a bit of time away from bashing each other & pay tribute to Joe's selflessness.

I wish Joe & Shane all the very best - hopefully they both end up living life to the max again. :p

Joe Brolly (Irish: Seosamh Ó Brollaigh; born 25 June 1969) is an Irish barrister, Gaelic football analyst, and former player from Dungiven, County Derry. Brolly played for Derry in the 1990s and early 2000s and was part of the their first ever All-Ireland Senior Football Championship winning side in 1993 and also won two Ulster Senior Football Championships and four National League titles.

Joe Brolly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

derryman

I'm surprised that no-one has started a thread on this matter - maybe it touches on too much altruism & kindness :|

Joe was one of the all time greats in his day & it was striking to see him on the Late Late at the weekend.

BBC News - Joe Brolly donates kidney to St Brigid's GAC coach

Unfortunately the Kidney swap did not work out & both parties are inhibited - Joe less so.

It was an incredible act of decency, selflessness & bravery on Joe's part.

Every country in the world has it's heroes & villans.

As stated on this Site a Million times - we have our own here too.

The Irish are well known for their contribution to world progress through the Missions, the Police Depts, Fire Depts & Hospitals of New York, Chicago all the way to New Zealand & much more.

We have a lot to be proud of - although our economy is in freefall.

Let's take a bit of time away from bashing each other & pay tribute to Joe's selflessness.

I wish Joe & Shane all the very best - hopefully they both end up living life to the max again. :p

Joe Brolly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ach sure aren't we all like that up here.

InsideImDancing

Fair play to these lads. They were on the Nolan show up here.

eoghanacht

Are they a couple?

Only a psychopath would need some incentive to do something as immense as donating a kidney to a friend.

No he got nothing out of it, no ride nothing just the satisfaction of doing something good for another

de valera's' giddy goat

i thought it was a very decent thing of Brolly to do, its a shame it didn't work out. I don't think i would have the courage to do it. He was a superstar footballer at a time when Ulster football was at its most skillful.

mangaire1

yes – it was a heroic & extremely generous gesture by Joe Brolly.
tragic & heart breaking, that the transplant was one of the 2% that fail.
best wishes to both guys.

Dublin 4

Only a psychopath would need some incentive to do something as immense as donating a kidney to a friend.
I know that you mean that in a good/funny way.

Here is the twist in the tale to exacerbate your feelings - Shane wasn't even his friend & was only an acquaintance! :p

Gracchus

My eldest brother kidneys failed there about five or six years ago, was a difficult time but he got on dialysis and we all got tested apart from myself because I was under 18. None of of the immediate family were match, although Dad was nearly a match. Few of my aunties got tested and one of them was a match. Was a big choice for her because she has a young family. But she didn't Doubt her decision for a second and about 3 years ago now they went ahead with the operation and it was successful. He got married the year after and there in October his wife give birth too a son. We were very lucky.

Fair play to Brolly, not an easy decision for anyone to make. Hope his friend gets as lucky as my brother in the future.

mangaire1

it's quite some time since the transplant - i'm not sure how long,
judging by Joe Brolly's appearance on the LLS, the other week, he still has not recovered physically from the ordeal.
also - he seems to be very much obsessed with the whole organ transplant issue.
for a guy who's normally very articulate, i felt he wasn't very coherent in expressing his views on the issue, & indeed his own experience.

Dublin 4

Joe doesn't look to be fully recovered yet unfortunately.

InsideImDancing

The same night the audience was full of tracksuit wearing flag protester maniacs iirc.

Huge respect for Brolly, a massive sacrifice.
That's right, the fleggers sneaked in the back door, because they just wanted their flegBeck#:)

max99

No he got nothing out of it, no ride nothing just the satisfaction of doing something good for another
It actually is quite a selfish act to something as charitable as this, just so you will feel good in return. Check out Anthony De Mellos thoughts on selfless acts of charity, and you will ''wake up'' and realise why people do these acts.

Dublin 4

It actually is quite a selfish act to something as charitable as this, just so you will feel good in return. Check out Anthony De Mellos thoughts on selfless acts of charity, and you will ''wake up'' and realise why people do these acts.
That's true in a lot of circumstances but not when you lose health quality like Joe has done.

Kerrygold

You're right.

Mother Theresa was a right selfish bitch in reality.