Joe Duffy wheels out the descendants of our rebel dead

Libero

First up, an ancestor of Con Colbert, saying she's from the FF tradition but they've destroyed the country.

Says she can't see herself voting FF again. Relatives emigrating, etc.

Still to come: descendants of James Connolly and Joseph Plunkett.

Wonder how Joe will handle all of this.

Is RTÉ turning its back on government in response to being spun and discredited before its audience?

ETA: Joe asks us to consider that like the rebels of 1916, the government is standing up and fighting for the Irish people against the IMF!

FFS...

flavirostris

I'm skeptical of dyed-in-the wool Fianna Fáilers saying they will never vote for the party again.
They reach the polling station and somehow the pencil gravitates towards the grinning auctioneer's son, sporting the harp logo. They just can't bring themselves to do it, no matter how much they might bellyache, especially not if it meant voting for a blueshirt

d7bohs

First up, an ancestor of Con Colbert, saying she's from the FF tradition but they've destroyed the country.

jeez, she must be old!

goosebump

I heard one bloke wheezing on about betrayal, seething anger, corruption etc

Joe asked him did he vote FF.

He said he did in the last 2 elections, but he won't be voting from them the next time.

A gas man.

constitutionus

Says she can't see herself voting FF again. Relatives emigrating, etc.

Still to come: descendants of James Connolly and Joseph Plunkett.

Wonder how Joe will handle all of this.

Is RTÉ turning its back on government in response to being spun and discredited before its audience?

ETA: Joe asks us to consider that like the rebels of 1916, the government is standing up and fighting for the Irish people against the IMF!

FFS...
surely considering their electoral mandate and the all around esteem with which they were held at the time the natural corollary is to have the people of ireland rise up and storm the dail ?

:)

on the OP.

I thought it was a great laugh. one or two slipped through to put joe duFFy on the spot. the bloke talking about the natural inclination of RTE to ask if somebodies son was going to stand for election in order to keep "his seat" was a treat. really got wound up about the dynastic coffin surfing complex we have

joes only responce was to pretty much say theyre all at it as if its a justification (which in fairnes the blokes basically said it didnt make it right).

gotta say, thats about two days in a roe now where someones mentioned nepotism/cronyism and it always makes him balk.

little to close to where he works.

:) :)

Ethan Edwards

I heard one bloke wheezing on about betrayal, seething anger, corruption etc

Joe asked him did he vote FF.

He said he did in the last 2 elections, but he won't be voting from them the next time.

A gas man.
Did Joe put to him that the "horse has already bolted" or even more plain, the damage is already done the IMF are here;)

smitchy2

I think it is time to take "Propaganda Joe" off the air.
He still influences many listeners to stay loyal no matter what.

Ethan Edwards

I think it is time to take "Propaganda Joe" off the air.
He still influences many listeners to stay loyal no matter what.
Well smitchy I admire your bottle, to ask for the head of Gay Byrne's protégé is going to get you a bloody good hiding from every Irish moaner who thinks ringing Joe is a blow for freedom and Justice against the establishment. :lol:

Libero

jeez, she must be old!
Oops. At least I got the thread title right! And it was good to hear Colbert pronounced with a hard 't', not like that American with his "Report".

I know Joe Duffy has to correct inaccuracies from his guests, play devil's advocate and generally stand up for the side of the argument that isn't on air, but he does really, really sound like he believes all of what he says when it means defending Fianna Fáil. And he is very plugged in to all the Lower Mount Street talking points.

Sham96

I thought it was a disgraceful show. Duffy is a rat of the highest order. Trying to suggest it is FF against the world/IMF ************************e with his 500,000. First order of business of the new gov is to get rid of all the overpaid, talentless slieveens like Duffy and Kenny.

thebig C

Its been the same MO for the past two days. Joe allows the callers to complain just enough to appease their anger, but as soon as they stray from condemning generic "politicians" and start targeting FF, he interjects with "they are all the same arguements"!

When he does encounter a hardline FFer , like yesterday, he is extremely agressive in trying to undo their arguements by exploiting their lack of experience on the airwaves.

Furthermore, to those who say he has to play Devils Advocate, anybody who has listened when Derek Davis fills in for Joe will surely have noticed that DD interupts less and rarely silences guests with warnings about libel!! In fact, the only time I can recall when Joe didn't smother guests with warnings about defamation was when callers were wrongly accusing Enda Kenny of skiping a queue. In that case both FG and Aer Lingus had told liveline thaey were completely wrong and yet Joe allowed the allegations to go on and on!

C

former wesleyan

I thought it was a disgraceful show. Duffy is a rat of the highest order. Trying to suggest it is FF against the world/IMF ************************e with his 500,000. First order of business of the new gov is to get rid of all the overpaid, talentless slieveens like Duffy and Kenny.
Tumbrils .... that's what we want.... tumbrils !!:D

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies