Joe Flaherty is the FF nominee to run in next GE in Longford-Westmeath

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com

midlander12

Flaherty vows to reclaim a Dáil seat in Longford-Westmeath for FF. By the way he's the managing director of Iconic Newspapers which publishes Longford Leader, Leitrim Observer, Dundalk Democrat, Leinster Leader, Leinster Express and Offaly Express. Has he enough media sway to win a seat ?

Joe Flaherty 'deeply honoured' to win Longford Fianna Fáil nomination and vows to reclaim Dáil seat - Longford Leader
Dunno. There'll be an all-out efforts to elect a Longford TD after last year's debacle. Bannon is gone and the FG guy Carrigy(?) is very low-profile. I presume the SFer will be Hogan or at any rate someone from Westmeath. So he's not got a lot of local competition, if he can get enough cross-party transfers.

cricket

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
He'll have to work hard, no doubt, to get enough press coverage :)

edwin

Flaherty vows to reclaim a Dáil seat in Longford-Westmeath for FF. By the way he's the managing director of Iconic Newspapers which publishes Longford Leader, Leitrim Observer, Dundalk Democrat, Leinster Leader, Leinster Express and Offaly Express. Has he enough media sway to win a seat ?

Joe Flaherty 'deeply honoured' to win Longford Fianna Fáil nomination and vows to reclaim Dáil seat - Longford Leader
FF would have won that seat last time with anybody other than their token gender quota candidate. I'd say he's got to be strong favourite given Longford want their seat back.

ne0ica

What this. A man with business acumen.

Must have been a plague or maybe a Natural disaster in that part of the country because FF normally only offer us the sons, daughters, nephews, nieces, cousins of current and past TD's.

Observer

Dunno. There'll be an all-out efforts to elect a Longford TD after last year's debacle. Bannon is gone and the FG guy Carrigy(?) is very low-profile. I presume the SFer will be Hogan or at any rate someone from Westmeath. So he's not got a lot of local competition, if he can get enough cross-party transfers.
Wouldn't have thought Carrigy was low-profile, certainly not in North Longford, and he's more impressive than Bannon (yes, I know...). Having said that, if Flaherty is able to retake the 1,500 FF votes from Longford that leaked to Troy last time he should have the edge.

Plebian

It's a humdinger alright, Longford has enough clout to elect a TD but they don't necessarily have the candidate to do it. Yer man's media connection will be a huge help in pushing him as the man to bring back a seat to Longford.

Troy is untouchable, Boxer Moran has kept his profile high and no one should be able to match him in Athlone.

Burke should hold a seat for FG.

SF are in a mess in this constituency which makes it unlikely they'll take a seat unless Penrose retires and there's a heap of votes available to a SF candidate from the Mullingar area.

It's between the Longford FFer and Penrose for the final seat with a very small chance of SF getting into the fight.

SamsonS

Joe's got the nomination, but not a sitting councillor. Connie was the nominee last time, and yet again Seamus Butler gets overlooked.

I suppose if Jimmy Morgan also runs, then Longford voting base gets diluted a bit.

Very unlikey Penrose will run, and think Plebian right about SF.

bogtrotter

It's a humdinger alright, Longford has enough clout to elect a TD but they don't necessarily have the candidate to do it. Yer man's media connection will be a huge help in pushing him as the man to bring back a seat to Longford.

Troy is untouchable, Boxer Moran has kept his profile high and no one should be able to match him in Athlone.

Burke should hold a seat for FG.

SF are in a mess in this constituency which makes it unlikely they'll take a seat unless Penrose retires and there's a heap of votes available to a SF candidate from the Mullingar area.

It's between the Longford FFer and Penrose for the final seat with a very small chance of SF getting into the fight.
If Penrose retires it opens up the door for a SF candidate irrespective of whether it is Hogan or a new candidate.. I don't think that Boxer can win a seat again as he got in last time on a freak (floods) and if FF run a 3rd candidate from the Athlone area he has no chance...If SF don't win a seat it will be 2 FF, 2 FG...

midlander12

If Penrose retires it opens up the door for a SF candidate irrespective of whether it is Hogan or a new candidate.. I don't think that Boxer can win a seat again as he got in last time on a freak (floods) and if FF run a 3rd candidate from the Athlone area he has no chance...If SF don't win a seat it will be 2 FF, 2 FG...
Hogan could get in if he is the SF candidate but if not it's very hard to see how they could pull it off with a new one - who would it even be? I wouldn't rule out Boxer Moran that quickly either.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Looks like he'll make it, probably two FF and two FG if the opinion here is accurate. Gobshyteism alive and well down in WM/LF. 'Hup ya is a boy ya, and 'HUPPP

the secretary

Looks like he'll make it, probably two FF and two FG if the opinion here is accurate. Gobshyteism alive and well down in WM/LF. 'Hup ya is a boy ya, and 'HUPPP
You are just pissed off that your crowd have f...ed up in LF/WM.
Less of the sour grapes Pinocchio.

Observer

I think Penrose has agreed to run again - certainly the seat is gone without him and on a knife-edge even with him. I imagine FF and FG will run 3rd (female) candidates in Athlone, but I don't know how Boxer is currently viewed in Athlone. I would expect Troy and Burke to have enough of a lock on the FF and FG votes in Westmeath to be secure. I think it all depends on how FG is viewed vis-a-vis FF at the time of the election as to which takes 2 seats and which takes 1.

edwin

I think Penrose has agreed to run again - certainly the seat is gone without him and on a knife-edge even with him. I imagine FF and FG will run 3rd (female) candidates in Athlone, but I don't know how Boxer is currently viewed in Athlone. I would expect Troy and Burke to have enough of a lock on the FF and FG votes in Westmeath to be secure. I think it all depends on how FG is viewed vis-a-vis FF at the time of the election as to which takes 2 seats and which takes 1.
FF were 5% ahead of FG last time despite running only 2 candidates (one of them a token) versus 3 including 2 sitting TDs. If this guy can tie his shoelaces then FF should be taking 2 seats pretty much regardless.

Peppermint

Hmm a politician with a conflict of interest! Who would have foreseen it?

And the conflicted one is a member of FF... Will surprises NEVER cease?

Peppermint

How many dodgy feckers do FF need to produce, before people see them for the corrupt feckers they are?

Liam Lawlor???
Ray Burke??
Bertie??
Charlie??
This party has a history... and it's not for doing the Right thing!

the secretary

How many dodgy feckers do FF need to produce, before people see them for the corrupt feckers they are?

Liam Lawlor???
Ray Burke??
Bertie??
Charlie??
This party has a history... and it's not for doing the Right thing!
What history has this candidate got when you associate him with that list?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies