John Bowman and Q&A

Firemonkey

Here's an agenda: John Bowman to be replaced on Q & A! He continues to fail in allocating an equal amount of airtime to each panelist; he always seems to allow one or two people to dominate the debate! How about David McWilliams as a replacement?

DOD

Davey Mac would be good. Although I must say, Brian Farrell was excellent when he took over after Jonathan Philbin Bowman's death.

DOD

Yeah. Vincent Browne is class! He just attacks everyone. :D

ireland2004

Watch Bowman carefully - a classic example of his bias is when Sinn Féin reps are on. He often allows anti-Sinn Féin people (like ye'r man from the Star - fcuk he is an idiot) to talk unchallenged by himself and then when the Sinn Féin rep responds (as what happened with Martin Ferris) he picks at them and asks them questions and even claims they are not answering the questions/accusations even though Ferris most certainly was answering the questions.

Terry Mac

What about the strange timing of the ad break on Q and A. It starts at 10.30, they take the break at around 11.15/11.20. Then they come back for 5 minutes. Its crazy.

Bowman's an eejit. Ever see when there's a question aimed at someone in particular, i dunno, for example, the Minister for Agriculture is on and the question is about CAP reforms. Bowman goes first to one of the panellists who first of all are complete nobodies who have only 1 area of interest and have no clue about farming(like the head of the ISPCC or something).

SPARTAN117

I wonder how one gets picked to become a panelist? It would be Wonderful if they held debating contests with the winner getting a place on the panel or something in that vain...

west_brit

Website
www.ogra.ie
Fecking Vincent Browne, my mother bought me a copy of The Village (for anyone who doesn't know its the communist manifesto of current affairs) today because there was a photo of Charles Haughey on it and something about the Moriarty Tribune. Presuming I'd like itb she woke me at half one to give it to me. It was terrible and I told her avoid it anything with Vincent Browne is to be avoided. He went from licking Haughey's ass to kicking it. Anyway to move from my rambling, John Bowman is a great presenter and should stay where he is.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
The break on Q+A 3/4's through the programme is annoying and should end.

Hardly any questions are gotten through because John Bowman lets some panellists ramble on too long.

But there is no other option that I consider better at this sort of thing. Vincent Browne just gets into rows with the interviewees, which I admit are amusing, but which would ensure even fewer questions are got through so he is ruled out.

David McWilliams is someone whose views on issues I often agree with e.g. more liberalisation of the economy, but I still say keep John.

One of the things that I like about John is that his political outlooks are unclear and so he comes across as independent. I like that.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
Hmm - Vincent Browne wouldn't make a good chairman (although the Village is well-written with the exception of last week's lead article which was full of typos).

And I think Bowman was dead right to let Ger Colleran get stuck into Martin Ferris last week. My favourite part was Ferris saying - "I may have imported quantities of guns and explosi... I mean guns". It's about time the doublespeak of reformed terrorists was challenged, especially when they start to compare themselves to Nelson Mandela.

Personally - I've a grá for McWilliams so any excuse to let him on primetime tv is good enough for me.

ireland2004

Do you know what bit I liked AR - the bit were Martin Ferris said he was elected by the people of North Kerry with them knowing full well of his days in the Army.

And by the way - He didn't compare himself to Nelson Mandela - thick people like you and Ger Colleran thought that. He quoted Nelson Mandela. He didn't compare himself to him.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
ireland2004 said:
Do you know what bit I liked AR - the bit were Martin Ferris said he was elected by the people of North Kerry with them knowing full well of his days in the Army.

And by the way - He didn't compare himself to Nelson Mandela - thick people like you and Ger Colleran thought that. He quoted Nelson Mandela. He didn't compare himself to him.
Thick people? Charming.

Martin Ferris used a quote from Nelson Mandela to justify the fact that innocent civilians were killed by the IRA. He attempted to redeem his activities by this. He's obviously no Mandela, nor are his acts justifiable by quoting Mandela.

ireland2004

Martin Ferris used a quote from Nelson Mandela to justify the fact that innocent civilians were killed by the IRA. He attempted to redeem his activities by this. He's obviously no Mandela, nor are his acts justifiable by quoting Mandela.
What is your point?

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
ireland2004 said:
What is your point?
My point is that an unapologetic, unreformed Martin Ferris, who acted without popular sanction or support isn't fit to hold office - 44 year old quotes aside. I think Ger Colleran was right to call him on it, and I think most Irish people would side with him rather than Ferris.

You might disagree, and that's your perogative. It doesn't make me 'thick' to take the opposite position.

ireland2004

My point is that an unapologetic, unreformed Martin Ferris, who acted without popular sanction or support isn't fit to hold office - 44 year old quotes aside. I think Ger Colleran was right to call him on it, and I think most Irish people would side with him rather than Ferris.
"It's about time the doublespeak of reformed terrorists was challenged, especially when they start to compare themselves to Nelson Mandela."

ffs AR make up your mind - is he reformed or unreformed?

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
ireland2004 said:
"It's about time the doublespeak of reformed terrorists was challenged, especially when they start to compare themselves to Nelson Mandela."

He's a reformed terrorist as he doesn't import arms anymore - his ideas are unreformed as he is still proud of what he did. It's hardly rocket science - even for so-called thicko's like me.

ireland2004

aodh_rua said:
ireland2004 said:

He's a reformed terrorist as he doesn't import arms anymore - his ideas are unreformed as he is still proud of what he did. It's hardly rocket science - even for so-called thicko's like me.
Why shouldn't he be proud of what he did?

How was your precious 26 county state founded? On the back of people importing arms and (suprise suprise) using them.

cain1798

FutureTaoiseach said:
One of the things that I like about John is that his political outlooks are unclear and so he comes across as independent. I like that.
*blank look* I'm sorry, who is the 'John' you are referring to?

As for Aodh's point, while Ferris was certainly not comparing himself to Mandela, the ANC and Sinn Féin have had solidarity links going back decades. They're comrades, and I don't think quoting their opinions is at all inappropriate.

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
I love the comparisions between the 'stuggle' in Northern Ireland and that in South Africa, particularly when it comes to the use of force against civilian targets. What always impressed me about the ANC, was that the Spear of the Nation was only used as a last resort, when it was clear that the political avenues had been exhausted, as is obvious in Mandela's speech from the dock. There was no comparable process with regards to the IRA in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, and therefore in my view, the comparision does not hold.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies