• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

John Bruton - Pregnant and Suicidal forget about it.

FrankSpeaks

The former Taoiseach John Bruton has an opinion piece in today's Irish Times and he writes that:

Would a law including a provision allowing a suicide threat to be a basis for ending the life of an unborn child be consistent with the plain words of the Constitution, which require the State to “defend and vindicate” the unborn child’s “equal” right to be allowed to live? I believe the answer to the question is no.
Therefore I can only conclude that John Bruton would prefer suicidal pregnant mothers to die rather than giving them an abortion!

hiding behind a poster

The former Taoiseach John Bruton has an opinion piece in today's Irish Times and he writes that:

Therefore I can only conclude that John Bruton would prefer suicidal pregnant mothers to die rather than giving them an abortion!
I don't see where you're getting that. Someone threatening to commit suicide shouldn't be allowed to a) use the threat as a form of emotional blackmail in order to get what they want; and b) shouldn't be allowed to use that threat to deny others their fundamental human rights.

Last edited:

Aristodemus

What is it with John Bruton? When he was Taoiseach he was all but invisible and rather taciturn. Now the fat waste of space has an opinion on everything.

sondagefaux

It's not a 'threat of suicide'. It must be established as a matter of probability that there is a real and substantial risk to the life of the pregnant woman, the test set by the Supreme Court.

If Bruton wants that part of the verdict overturned, he should campaign for a third referendum instead of encouraging the Oireachtas to ignore the constitutional rights of women.

The Owl

I am really totally pissed off with men coming out with their "knowledge" of being pregnant. Fundamental human rights are for living human beings, apart that is, from pregnant women who apparently have no rights. Fool.

Analyzer

When I seen the title at first, I thought somebody was drawing a conclusion from that rotund belly on donkeylaffs....

I think that it is time for clarification. That belly is the result of years slobbering at the taxpayer funded trough.

sadmal

According to a commentator on today article in the Irish Times, John Bruton was recently made a knight by the Catholic church for fidelity to same Church. I presume this article is him showing his fidelity.

A pity he doesn't follow the teaching of Jesus especially that bit about the rich man entering the kindom of heaven!

FrankSpeaks

I don't see where you're getting that. Someone threatening to commit suicide shouldn't be allowed to a) use the threat as a form of emotional blackmail in order to get what they want; and b) shouldn't be allowed to use that thread to deny others their fundamental human rights.
So you and John Bruton agree, you would prefer if they die rather than abort!

SilverSpurs

I don't see where you're getting that. Someone threatening to commit suicide shouldn't be allowed to a) use the threat as a form of emotional blackmail in order to get what they want; and b) shouldn't be allowed to use that thread to deny others their fundamental human rights.
We may have hurled all sorts of barbs and cruel jibes at each other during the EU debates but you have hit the nail so squarely on the head with such exactness and molecular scale precision....nay atomic scale precision that I think you should take the place of the standard metre and the kilogram in the science museum in Paris if you dont mind being put into a triple glass bell that is...:cool::cool::cool:

Analyzer

Donkeylaffs is pro-life. That is why he wants us in military alliances. He wants EU patriots. And he thinks that John Redmond was the greatest Irish man ever.

...the irony of all of this is only massive....

Equally insightful is the fact that so few pro-choice people bother to be pro-choice in so many other areas of state policy, like compulsory levies for Montrose millionaires and the like.

Analyzer

The title of this thread is hillarious.
alright...who did it ???

We better be careful....we might get sued for defamation of character.

SilverSpurs

So you and John Bruton agree, you would prefer if they die rather than abort!
What we are saying is that there is a fundamental moral hazard in allowing a threat of suicide to force our hand on this issue and in fact any issue.

Rocky

Posted this on another thread because there wasn't a thread on his article and I could be bothered setting one up.

It's an interesting article from Bruton.

I'd largely agree with him as well on the law. I don't think the Supreme Court's argument on the X-Case stands up and I think they were looking for a way to allow her to have an abortion and so found one. However as valid as Bruton's argument is, it isn't up to him. He isn't the Supreme Court. Laws are obvious debateable. If they weren't we would have no need for the Courts and it's for the Courts to decide on the merit's of the various arguments and despite what Bruton and I might think, they have made their decision on this and I don't see them changing their mind. The Oireachtas therefore has to either have a Constitutional amendment to change the law, which they've tried twice and it's failed or else bring in legalisation.

Rocky

What is it with John Bruton? When he was Taoiseach he was all but invisible and rather taciturn. Now the fat waste of space has an opinion on everything.
I thought it was a well argued and valid article.

It's good to see him contributing to the national debate on this. A very smart and experienced man. My thoughts on the article are already posted over this post.

sondagefaux

We may have hurled all sorts of barbs and cruel jibes at each other during the EU debates but you have hit the nail so squarely on the head with such exactness and molecular scale precision....nay atomic scale precision that I think you should take the place of the standard metre and the kilogram in the science museum in Paris if you dont mind being put into a triple glass bell that is...:cool::cool::cool:
You'd do well as a bell-end...

sondagefaux

Posted this on another thread because there wasn't a thread on his article and I could be bothered setting one up.

It's an interesting article from Bruton.

I'd largely agree with him as well on the law. I don't think the Supreme Court's argument on the X-Case stands up and I think they were looking for a way to allow her to have an abortion and so found one. However as valid as Bruton's argument is, it isn't up to him. He isn't the Supreme Court. Laws are obvious debateable. If they weren't we would have no need for the Courts and it's for the Courts to decide on the merit's of the various arguments and despite what Bruton and I might think, they have made their decision on this and I don't see them changing their mind. The Oireachtas therefore has to either have a Constitutional amendment to change the law, which they've tried twice and it's failed or else bring in legalisation.
The forced birthers are clearly pushing for yet another referendum. I don't think they'll get third time lucky. In fact, I'm completely confident that a majority will vote to uphold the X-case judgment in full if asked again.