John Bruton urges "forgiveness" for those who destroyed the economy

Black George

John Bruton is right: these people should be forgiven. But they shouldn't be forgiven until they have danced on the end of a hempen rope till they stop kicking. And that goes for the shower presently in power.

Analyzer

I know. But it is not a route interviewers go down. It is seen as too personal. There is no way to justify the pension--or indeed the gouging and profiteering of many who preach austerity to the rest of us over the airways.

But they would all get into a mighty huff if you start getting personal (and it IS personal, in a contradictory sort of way, even when the taxpayer is funding the pension)

When Marian Finucane was interviewing Seanie and his cohorts during the boom, and they were telling her how workers need to be more "competitive" (ie. earn less) and how the minimum wage was an awful problem altogether, I wanted her to ask the obvious question, but knew it would not happen....
you mean if MF would ask Seanie Fitz if he was as overpaid as she was relative to the "work" done by either of them ?

Plebian

The moment Bruton said we are spending too much as a nation and that we need to cut back on the amount the nation is borrowing to fund that spending, his pension became fair game for discussion.
They were discussing €8bn+ of cuts over the next three budgets without really thinking about the political consequences of those cuts. If Bruton and Co don't surrender a large part of their gross pensions, then the public will elect people to do it for them.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

I am thoroughly and totally sick of hearing about Developers and bankers, and elites and golden circles etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam.

We should not ignore the history of their devastation of our economy, but can we please stop living in the past. They f@5ked up our economy. That has happened, we cannot change that mistake of history. It is in the past.

Please, please , please let's focus on NOW.

In the now we live in we have to rebuild our economy. Being bitter about the past is not going to help us.

Ask yourself the question
"Which would you prefer? You get those Bas@&£ds but the economy fails, or we fix the economy and they escape punishment?"

Personally I vote for getting out of the economic mess we are in and then looking to vengeance!

Or... as a novel idea (let me just throw it out there - see what you think).. we could try and fix the economy as well as punish those who wronged while we're at it.

Mackers

Or... as a novel idea (let me just throw it out there - see what you think).. we could try and fix the economy as well as punish those who wronged while we're at it.
Seems like a good idea MrFunky it's just a pity the people who ruin the economy didn't pay their TV licences as they might have seen the inside of a court far quicker.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Seems like a good idea MrFunky it's just a pity the people who ruin the economy didn't pay their TV licences as they might have seen the inside of a court far quicker.
How ****ed up (!) (and wholly true) that is...

goatstoe

I am thoroughly and totally sick of hearing about Developers and bankers, and elites and golden circles etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam.

We should not ignore the history of their devastation of our economy, but can we please stop living in the past. They f@5ked up our economy. That has happened, we cannot change that mistake of history. It is in the past.

In the now we live in we have to rebuild our economy. Being bitter about the past is not going to help us.

"Which would you prefer? You get those Bas@&£ds but the economy fails, or we fix the economy and they escape punishment?"

Personally I vote for getting out of the economic mess we are in and then looking to vengeance!
Is that you John? What a pathetic comment.

Shpake

That is the 100,000 dollar question... how do we get out of this mess... I venture the suggestion that it is not by churning out more houses and shopping centres unless you find some way of exporting them overseas to where they might be needed and someone would pay for them. OK... the devleopers are getting paid by Nama to complete the half-finished projects and then they will come on the market too at some time. It is not by promoting the construction industry or developers... I don't think the idea of the smart economy was focused enough. Looks like export-lead high-tech, biopharma and agri-food seem to be the only runners. Then what should we do about the blame game, corruption/incompetence problem... should they all get a slap and be told don't do it again? Should we hold a referendum to adjust the pensions (downward). Should we hold mass trials/enquiries/tribunals?
I agree though, that getting out of the mess is the main priority... so as soon as the economy is on an even keel then we have to deal with this enormous moral hazard problem... can we let them all get away scott free? Maybe the electorate will decide (wrongly again?)

An Gilladaker

They were discussing €8bn+ of cuts over the next three budgets without really thinking about the political consequences of those cuts. If Bruton and Co don't surrender a large part of their gross pensions, then the public will elect people to do it for them.
No chance of Bruton and Co giving up any of the oul pensions

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
.yerra not a chance in hell...shur twas'nt them that did it, just helped from the outside. Ooooh there is a lot of shiit coming down the track. Nice Mr Alan Dukes, servant to the people of Ireland, doing his bit to 'be of some (jeez where did i hear this before) service to the nation.

im axeled

the last budget contained this little gem, there was to be no raise in welfare this side of 2020, what will the old age pension buy me in 2019-2020 for €230, less all service payments that will be necessary to make, i am not including a sky sub in case baldy is lurking and throws it into the discussion

im axeled

Lucky you.

When the rest of us are 68 the OAP could be about €100 per week.
will you not have enough put away after a lifetime socking for the trousering party, plus the little private pension they are paying for also

LISTOWEL MAN

is that the same John Bruton who said there were two sides to 1916

the man who says irish and british people died ?????????????

james toney

John Bruton will be urging forgiveness again....as he stuffs his pockets.

'Irish pensioners "lose" €4m in venture employing John Bruton as a consultant. John really is something. A director at vulture PIMCO. And an estimated €250,000 adviser to lobbying giant Teneo.'

Last edited:

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom