John Deasy has his day ... Sort of

ger12

Seems John Deasy had a moment when he realised Leo wasn't going to reward him with a ministery. The Phoenix reporting he threatened all sorts.

Leo has had to find a spot for the esteemed TD who once was sacked from FG's front bench for refusing to stop smoking in the Dáil bar after the workplace ban was enacted.n

He has been appointed as a government envoy to the US Congress to work on the issue of the undocumented Irish in the United States.

"Deasy will work with the Embassy in Washington DC, under the leadership of the Irish Ambassador to the US and the ministers for Foreign Affairs and Diaspora Affairs.

Government Chief Whip Joe McHugh said the appointment “shows how determined our government is go get to grips with the issue of undocumented Irish living in America”.

Deasy will not receive any additional remuneration for this role, apart from expenses from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade."

This man has been tasked with helping the 50,000 undocumented Irish in the US

If you make a big enough fuss .....

Wascurito

It'll keep him out of the way, I suppose.

Good-looking guy....how could Leo resist that manly jawline?

Congalltee

What result does he want?
A) Irish exceptionalism
B) 11m people being given an amnesty?
C) to be a fig leaf without being too hypocritical with regard to those in Ireland whose paperwork is not in order.

wombat

My guess is that Deasy will lobby the U.S. Congress on more than illegal immigrants. He has made the point previously that we need to build contacts in the Congress, not just rely on the St Patrick's Day visit to the White House. I believe he worked for a congressman at one time so he has a good idea of how the U.S. system works. It may pay dividends if Trump goes protectionist as its Congress that will have the final say.

Fullforward

Talk about "makey-up" Jobs......The squeaky wheels get the grease.

Clanrickard

My guess is that Deasy will lobby the U.S. Congress on more than illegal immigrants. He has made the point previously that we need to build contacts in the Congress, not just rely on the St Patrick's Day visit to the White House. I believe he worked for a congressman at one time so he has a good idea of how the U.S. system works. It may pay dividends if Trump goes protectionist as its Congress that will have the final say.
An intelligent thought provoking post is followed by...............................

Talk about "makey-up" Jobs......The squeaky wheels get the grease.
Dope!

eoghanacht

It'll keep him out of the way, I suppose.

Good-looking guy....how could Leo resist that manly jawline?
Homophobe.

Are you suggesting our Taoiseach makes political appointments based on the subjective view of how someone looks?
:shock:

Degeneration X

Seems John Deasy had a moment when he realised Leo wasn't going to reward him with a ministery. The Phoenix reporting he threatened all sorts.

Leo has had to find a spot for the esteemed TD who once was sacked from FG's front bench for refusing to stop smoking in the Dáil bar after the workplace ban was enacted.n

He has been appointed as a government envoy to the US Congress to work on the issue of the undocumented Irish in the United States.

"Deasy will work with the Embassy in Washington DC, under the leadership of the Irish Ambassador to the US and the ministers for Foreign Affairs and Diaspora Affairs.

Government Chief Whip Joe McHugh said the appointment “shows how determined our government is go get to grips with the issue of undocumented Irish living in America”.

Deasy will not receive any additional remuneration for this role, apart from expenses from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade."

This man has been tasked with helping the 50,000 undocumented Irish in the US

If you make a big enough fuss .....
Keeping Deasy out is one of the few good moves Varadkar has made so far.
A worthless individual.

cricket

Although it was years back, his tantrum about the smoking ban did him no favours.

Degeneration X

Although it was years back, his tantrum about the smoking ban did him no favours.
It was no tantrum - he broke the law.

So much for FG the party of Law & Order.

Also he was demoted in favour of professional Oaf James Reilly.

Deasy really is miserable.

Northsideman

This is madness on an industrial scale, we appoint an envoy to go to and lobby in a foreign country on behalf of our citizens who refuse to obey the laws of their guess country. The Yanks should tell us to fuk right off.

Next step is Nigeria will appoint a similar envoy here and the idiots in this government will welcome it.

Degeneration X

This is madness on an industrial scale, we appoint an envoy to go to and lobby in a foreign country on behalf of our citizens who refuse to obey the laws of their guess country. The Yanks should tell us to fuk right off.

Next step is Nigeria will appoint a similar envoy here and the idiots in this government will welcome it.
Unlikely, you forget the ingrained hypocrisy of the Irish Government and Official Ireland regarding such matters.

Compare our citizenship laws to the US - it would be too draconian even for Trump.

loner

We read that Deasy has been spitting fire--he has now been silenced with a little perk that has no pay attached to it but presumably as many trips to the US as he wishes.
We already have Foreign Affairs staff in Washington and New York who are quite capable of doing what needs to be done in relation to the visa question and the undocumented Irish. This is merely a sop to keep Deasy onside--more of the new politics that we were promised?

wombat

This is merely a sop to keep Deasy onside--more of the new politics that we were promised?
I think there is more to it than that, he knows how congress operates and with Trump likely to be in office for the full term, its essential that other channels be opened. My guess is that this is a longer term plan for when Trump turns his attention to trade and taxes.

ellie08

I think there is more to it than that, he knows how congress operates and with Trump likely to be in office for the full term, its essential that other channels be opened. My guess is that this is a longer term plan for when Trump turns his attention to trade and taxes.
Deasy is a decent sort from what I can see. He's not a cute hoor. I wish him well.

wombat

Deasy is a decent sort from what I can see. He's not a cute hoor. I wish him well.
My guess is that he just missed out on a ministry, Geography went against him in the final cut

ellie08

My guess is that he just missed out on a ministry, Geography went against him in the final cut
He seems a capable man, I wish him well. Rather him that some other gob************************e.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies