• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

John Edwards has pulled out of race: it's official.

fergalr

BBC said:
Democrat John Edwards is exiting the race for the White House after failing to win any of the four party nomination contests held so far, it is reported.

US media reports that the former North Carolina senator had decided not to continue to Super Tuesday next week.

He lost Iowa's caucuses, came third in New Hampshire, admitted he got his "butt kicked" at Nevada's primary and came third his native South Carolina.

The two-time candidate reportedly plans to make a statement soon

The Trinity Politick

Edwards actually warmed to me in the latter days. I suppose when you aren't getting far you tend to drop the windy rhetoric and just talk casually, which is really good to hear.

Edwards will wait now like a snake in the long grass. See which candidate is picking up steam and endorse that candidate with an eye to a position in a Democratic Administration.

Ard-Taoiseach

Thank you, Trinity Politick and fergalr. I beat pkfk1 by 2 minutes as well!

Anyway, let's get the ball rolling. What are the ramifactions of all this? Since the Clintons have made Obama into the "black" candidate, the lack of the split in the white vote could be positive for Clinton.

Tuesday will tell.

The Trinity Politick

mr_anderson said:
The big question now is, who will he be supporting ?
My guess is Hillary.
He'll wait. I know i would. Or let the auction begin.

fergalr

He's eaten into Hillary. It has to be Obama. From one change candidate to another. Two things..will his voting base follow his endorsement and will he campaign with Obama if he endorses him?

antagoniser

I sincerely doubt the veracity of that statement. I predict he won't pull out.

Ard-Taoiseach

antagoniser said:
The wires are full of these stories, though.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
antagoniser said:
But it's on the BBC so it must be true.

Not this year for Edwards then.
But I'm guessing his day will come.

fergalr

Well, not to cut too broad or too soon, he has a wife with terminal cancer. He's not going to win the contest. What does he gain from remaining in the race if he can't even win his own state?

CookieMonster

Has he got a shot at VP?

antagoniser

Ard-Taoiseach said:
antagoniser said:
Yeah but it originates with FOX! It doesn't make sense for him to pull out now, he should go into super Tuesday and pick up as many delegates as possible with a view to being king maker, which I think has been his strategy since New Hampshire. The alternative is he believes one of the candidates will hoover up the delegates on Super Tuesday and have an unassailable lead and he wants to get onside before that happens...if that is the case my instinct would say he'll get behind Hillary.

Sonic_exyouth

I don't think Edwards will pull out til after the Tuesday, it will give him something to barter with.

I could be wrong, but it seems premature.

Ard-Taoiseach

CookieMonster said:
Has he got a shot at VP?
Would he want to go through being a VP on the Democrat ticket like 2004, though?

He mightn't like it.

fergalr

Ard-Taoiseach said:
Since the Clintons have made Obama into the "black" candidate, the lack of the split in the white vote could be positive for Clinton.

Tuesday will tell.
They tried to.. whether they've succeeded remains to be seen in states with fragmented minority populations like California. You make a very good point. Edwards was splitting the "white" vote and I'd hope he would remain in the race till after ST.

CookieMonster

antagoniser said:
The alternative is he believes one of the candidates will hoover up the delegates on Super Tuesday and have an unassailable lead and he want to get onside before that happens...if that is the case my instinct would say he'll get behind Hillary.
I feel that this may be the case too.

The Trinity Politick

antagoniser said:
Ard-Taoiseach said:
antagoniser said:
Yeah but it originates with FOX! It doesn't make sense for him to pull out now, he should go into super Tuesday and pick up as many delegates as possible with a view to being king maker, which I think has been his strategy since New Hampshire. The alternative is he believes one of the candidates will hoover up the delegates on Super Tuesday and have an unassailable lead and he wants to get onside before that happens...if that is the case my instinct would say he'll get behind Hillary.
Hes gone, its confirmed by all news sites. Pick one

Parton

I would imagine Obama, despite his comments regarding Obama's slip on Reagan.

Also, because virtually every time he talks about Clinton he has nothing good to say whatsoever (although he often speaks well of Obama).....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies