John Glenn is dead

derryman

It's like being around in 15th century Spain and discussing the merits of ship building.
Humans have always explored and pushed outward. It is why we are on every part of the planet and it will be why we will eventually move off this rock too. The cost is miniscule. Tiny. Utterly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. As soon as there is money to be made it will grow exponentially
Do you think the north and south American Indians the Aboriginal tribes of Tasmania and Queensland think the cost of shipbuilding in 15th century Europe was miniscule?

gerhard dengler

It's like being around in 15th century Spain and discussing the merits of ship building.
Humans have always explored and pushed outward. It is why we are on every part of the planet and it will be why we will eventually move off this rock too. The cost is miniscule. Tiny. Utterly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. As soon as there is money to be made it will grow exponentially
It depends on many things and how you evaluate what "pushing forward" means.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for humanity trying to gain a greater understanding and a greater knowledge about the world and about space.

derryman

The pace of delivery of systems such as JES was utterly accelerated by the space programme. Yup, you probably don't know about JES but it facilitates and speeds up practically every financial tranaction you have ever made in your life.
Please tell me that space travel has delivered greater benefits than faster financial transactions and the ability to be condescended to on the Internet ?

firefly123

Do you think the north and south American Indians the Aboriginal tribes of Tasmania and Queensland think the cost of shipbuilding in 15th century Europe was miniscule?
Kind of missing the point

Let's put another way. If we sit and wait for the Martians to arrive we will be the aboriginals.

derryman

Kind of missing the point

Let's put another way. If we sit and wait for the Martians to arrive we will be the aboriginals.
No I am missing no point. Let's put it another way. We will probably have blown ourselves out of existence a million light years before the Martians arrive

Please tell me that space travel has delivered greater benefits than faster financial transactions and the ability to be condescended to on the Internet ?
Condescension is perceived more often than delivered.

It is often a sign of those suffering from critical absence of self-confidence to see it at every turn.

firefly123

No I am missing no point. Let's put it another way. We will probably have blown ourselves out of existence a million light years before the Martians arrive
Maybe. But that is even more reason to spread out. If we are spread across space it is much less likely we will die out as a species. All it takes is one big rock at the moment.

D

Deleted member 45466

No it doesn't sound like the building industry but it may sound like a boardroom meeting while discussing which corners to cut.
However it is not that I disparage the courage and endeavour of people like John Glenn. I do admire their fortitude . But I believe we are way to quick to raise special individuals to pedestals. Now truly what great benefit has the space industry and all the great fighter aircraft brought to mankind . Is humanity really better for it? Are people better housed better fed better cared for. I just think humanity has been poorly served by its need to idolise special people whose contribution to mankind is somewhat questionable. I believe the real heroes are the ordinary and mundane. The teachers the mothers the fathers the garbage collectors.the doctors the nurses shop keepers the factory workers the farmers and yes you guessed it the builders and all of the trades and professions within inc the bankers who help to finance growth. These ordinary people are responsible for the benefits and comforts that humanity lives and thrives on. Space travel.to date has been little more than an expensive sideshow that has delivered little real benefit to humanity. However God Rest the man I bear him no ill will.
Nope.

Next up, fully automated warfare and total DCGS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_Common_Ground_System

(I still gush with admiration for Glenn and all the test pilots from that era).

Man or Mouse

The teflon frying pan. A coating a lot of politicians have developed in the interim also.

So I suppose it's one good, one bad.

Man or Mouse

Nope.

Next up, fully automated warfare and total DCGS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_Common_Ground_System

(I still gush with admiration for Glenn and all the test pilots from that era).
Yeah, remember watching him one evening on 60 minutes when he was a senator and when global warming etc hadn't even been heard of and what he said was straight from the heart.

He said that when you're 115 miles up there and look down at the round ball of earth surrounded by a thin layer of gas, all hurtling through space at whatever the speed was, the fragility of this whole system really hits you and you really do wonder about just how fragile it is and how careful we need to be to preserve it. Never a truer word was spoken.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies