John Halligan TD prevented from being a confirmation sponsor.

Wascurito

The Journal is reporting on a story about Independent Alliance TD John Halligan's being barred from being a confirmation sponsor. The local bishop says the confirmation sponsors must be "confirmed and practising Catholics". Halligan accepts that his being an atheist would render him ineligible but insists that it's also due to his stance on the 8th amendment repeal referendum.

Personally, I think the local bishop is correct. It would make a mockery of the whole confirmation sacrament if atheists were to be allowed be sponsors.

culmore

Did this Bishop never hear of the Lost Sheep and bringing people back to the fold. Just wondering how many parents and children who have Confirmation this week will be at Mass next week .

loner

No question about it--the Bishop was right--Halligan should cop himself on.

NativeWildCat

Doesn't believe in Catholicism = Wants to participate in a major Catholic right of passage.

What an attention seeking 'rse hole of a man.

cricket

I would find little wrong with what the church did provided they can show that Halligan isn't the only person for whom such a rule applied.
Otherwise, it's purely political.

Emily Davison

The Journal is reporting on a story about Independent Alliance TD John Halligan's being barred from being a confirmation sponsor. The local bishop says the confirmation sponsors must be "confirmed and practising Catholics". Halligan accepts that his being an atheist would render him ineligible but insists that it's also due to his stance on the 8th amendment repeal referendum.

Personally, I think the local bishop is correct. It would make a mockery of the whole confirmation sacrament if atheists were to be allowed be sponsors.
Well my atheist husband is twice a Godfather!

blinding

I’m an atheist and I have been a sponsor for cultural reasons .

But if the Church decided that I was not suitable I think they would be right .

RasherHash

I imagine very few of those being sponsor these days are practising Catholics.

Emily Davison

Actually my late uncle and his wife are godparents to all my siblings. Both atheists. The uncle had no religious service for his funeral. This must be pretty common in Ireland.

Last edited:

Edo

I imagine very few of those being sponsor these days are practising Catholics.
yeh - my first thought too

As much of an attention-seeker as he is - of course he's being singled out for who he is.

ProsandCons

I suppose it's a case of "the management reserves the right........."

But he's Irish so probably not really pushed on the rules about anything, especially when they don't suit him.

On a slightly different point, the last Census noted the percentage of the population who identified as Catholic as 78.3 per cent in 2016 (3.729m). Even if you strip out those of non-voting age (across all and non religions), you could probably extrapolate a similar percentage of adults identifying as Catholic.

Hence the referendum is a forgone conclusion with a strong no vote being cast by the God fearing, rule abiding Catholics ??? I'm off to the bookies ! Unless of course, they only pick and choose the bits of the religion that they like ??

Now i'm confused........

silverharp

yeh - my first thought too

As much of an attention-seeker as he is - of course he's being singled out for who he is.
its more don't ask don't tell I would have thought?

enuffisenuff

leave the bishop alone..don't bash him....

Herr Rommel

If he isn't one of the faithful he has no right being there.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
I suppose it's a case of "the management reserves the right........."

But he's Irish so probably not really pushed on the rules about anything, especially when they don't suit him.

On a slightly different point, the last Census noted the percentage of the population who identified as Catholic as 78.3 per cent in 2016 (3.729m). Even if you strip out those of non-voting age (across all and non religions), you could probably extrapolate a similar percentage of adults identifying as Catholic.

Hence the referendum is a forgone conclusion with a strong no vote being cast by the God fearing, rule abiding Catholics ??? I'm off to the bookies ! Unless of course, they only pick and choose the bits of the religion that they like ??

Now i'm confused........
suggest he go s to starbucks their accomodating everyone but i really wouldnt trust him around my confirmation money

Wascurito

Did this Bishop never hear of the Lost Sheep and bringing people back to the fold. Just wondering how many parents and children who have Confirmation this week will be at Mass next week .
Presumably, the Lost Sheep would need first to indicate that they'd been found again. I don't think that Halligan has any intention of doing that.

Sync

Religious organisation expect participants of religious event to be religious. News. At. 11. Halligan’s point is moronic.

It’s like me saying the guards pulled me over for not having insurance. Now I accept I don’t have insurance, but I also think it’s because I had a blue jumper on.

Equinox

You welcome back a lost sheep, that doesn't mean you welcome a wolf into the paddock.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies