• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

John Hume. Ireland's Greatest People

hiker

Ireland's Greatest
Miriam O'Callaghan argues the case for former politician and Nobel Peace Prize-winner John Hume, who played an instrumental role in the Northern Ireland peace process.

Probably my nomination for Ireland's Greatest but as I live abroad I cannot see it on RTE streaming. (ROI Only)
Any ideas where I might be able to catch this programme at a later date????

sowhat

Ireland's Greatest
Miriam O'Callaghan argues the case for former politician and Nobel Peace Prize-winner John Hume, who played an instrumental role in the Northern Ireland peace process.

Probably my nomination for Ireland's Greatest but as I live abroad I cannot see it on RTE streaming. (ROI Only)
Any ideas where I might be able to catch this programme at a later date????
If John Hume ran for the Presidency of Ireland next year, he'd win it hands down.

Rocky

If John Hume ran for the Presidency of Ireland next year, he'd win it hands down.
He would, but his health isn't up to it.

For me it's a fight between himself and Collins for the greatest and it is very very close.

ergo2

Agree with above re John Hume.

Stood up politically both to the British and to the men of violence, and is the architect of the GFA.

The Field Marshal

For me it's a fight between himself and Collins for the greatest and it is very very close.
Hume is an irritating & preachy politician.
His pretensions to royalty were particularly offensive.

His constant use of the terms "our peoples" and "our divided peoples" I found derisory and jarring.

Undoubtadly he deserves credit for the GFA but thats where it all stops.

A Hume presidency would never have altered the fact that
the Northern Ireland statelet has never been of much benefit to the south.

--------

Last edited:

Anamnua

I'm bracing myself for the Harris/Edwards/Myers/O'Hanlon backlash.

beamish2010

I would think John Hume would be an excellent choice...A million times better than the
self-proclaimed little god and gobshoote Bono...

GDPR

Hume hands down for me.

Collins had the advantage of dying for his cause, while Hume lived for his.

His was the major part in the GFA happening with Adams coming in a reasonably close second, but even he was brought there by Hume.

Molly Maguire

Website
www.slotpb.com
Doubt too many on here realise how bad JHs health problems are which is no surprise considering the level of political knowledge and debate posters on here have when it comes to anything NI.

stoichkov

i wish someone other than dalkey yummy mummy o'callaghan had done this programme.

john hume was the single most important individual in the peace process. nobody else's contribution comes close to what he managed to do.

never forget that in the 90s, the sunday independent published a cartoon of hume with blood dripping from his hands and cackling at what was presumably supposed to be a destroyed unionist town with smoke rising from its roofs.

this was o'reilly's way of punishing hume for having talks with gerry adams.

the article below it was by conor cruise o'brien, who compared hume to a fighter-bomber dropping tonnes of explosives on the heads of the unionist population.

on more than one occasion eamon dunphy was given the entire back page to character-assassinate hume, in typically lucid and logical fashion.

there have been a lot of reasons to be nauseated by o'reilly, anne harris and anguish fanning over the years, and their sickening treatment of john hume at a time when he was literally risking his very life for the island of ireland is at the very top of the list.

GDPR

Hume was a self-serving egomaniac who thought he could eat up SF and SF chewed him up and spat him out. A loathesome man who ruined what might have been a great party with his ambitious intrigues.
He brought home the only bacon that really matters, lives saved.