• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

John Hume Voted Ireland's Greatest.

st333ve

The man who stood up for the people and pushed his vision for decades without a mask or weapon won the peace and the respect of the Irish voters.

A worthy winner, or who would you have preferred?

Last edited:

Tomas Mor

In the absence of DevilEire ,FF voters swung it away from Collins.

oggy

The man who stood up for the people and pushed his vision for decades without a mask or weapon won the peace and the respect of the Irish voters.

A worthy winner, or who would you have preferred?
Without one of our greats and a worthy winner

Always remember John saying the most obvious thing in the world. What is the world all about without people, animals running wild and overgrown vegetation

A brave and determined man

TradCat

Absolutely worthy. He created the solution and led everybody on to that ground.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Will someone nominate him for President now?

st333ve

Too ill I believe.

The thing is, he was never interested in titles apart the one of peace maker.

Boy M5

Miriam seemed very pleased, hopefully "Sir" Anthony & his current & former Sindo lackeys including Anguished & Failing and the garden gnome lookalike Dunphy are equally upset as they seemingly set out to destroy him.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Miriam seemed very pleased, hopefully "Sir" Anthony & his current & former Sindo lackeys including Anguished & Failing and the garden gnome lookalike Dunphy are equally upset as they seemingly set out to destroy him.
Maybe she could run for President then given her proven ability to persuade the people to determine who is "Ireland's Greatest" which might rub off on political-parties too?

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Good. I'd hoped it would be him or Mary Robinson tbh. (I voted for Mary myself)

Whoever nominated Michael Collins or Bono should emigrate.

gweedore

maybe it should have been called irelands living greatest of which john hume is a worthy winner but rte messed up again cant understand why o'connell the founder of irish democracy wasnt included or michael davitt or the great parnell not to say wolfe tone the father of the irish republic
but fair play to john hume all the same

Rocky

I Voted for Collins, but it was a very difficult choice between himself and Hume and I'm happy that Hume won it. Himself and Collins are the two outstanding Irishmen of the last century. I was terrified when it went down to the last two that Connolly was going to win, but thankfully not.

By the way it'd be very interesting to know what the exact numbers of votes each candidate got.

Destiny's Soldier

Anyone but Mary Robinson.

My son's Catholic religion book describes Bono as a prophet. So definately not Bono.

Good choice on Hume. Although I would have thought many others in history would have been a lot more worthy. What was wrong with Daniel O'Connell?

Worthy winner because he spent 4 decades at an impossible task fighting a lonely battle when others decried and abused him.

While I would love to see him going forward as President I believe he has suffered health issues and would prefer retirement.

Tullamore

I Voted for Collins, but it was a very difficult choice between himself and Hume and I'm happy that Hume won it. Himself and Collins are the two outstanding Irishmen of the last century. I was terrified when it went down to the last two that Connolly was going to win, but thankfully not.

have to say I felt that Connolly was that bit too far removed from today for him to be viable candidate...

By the way it'd be very interesting to know what the exact numbers of votes each candidate got.

st333ve

Worthy winner because he spent 4 decades at an impossible task fighting a lonely battle when others decried and abused him.

While I would love to see him going forward as President I believe he has suffered health issues and would prefer retirement.
That's exactly where he excelled.

He was totally alone compared to everyone else, Republicans, the northern media, Unionists and the Republics media and politicians also all hated the man.

He wasn't after popularity, he knew how to turn violence into politics and relentlessly stuck at it until it was achieved.
He is the perfect example of intelligence destroying violence.

It should be his statue outside Stormont, not that of a bitter man of violence.

"All too often we honour swagger and bluster and wielders of force; too often we excuse those who are willing to build their own lives on the shattered dreams of others.

Some look for scapegoats, others look for conspiracies, but this much is clear: violence breeds violence, repression brings retaliation, and only a cleansing of our whole society can remove this sickness from our soul. "

- Robert F Kennedy.

Last edited:

turdsl

Just goes to show that Irish people are well able to make intelligent decisions in spite of black propaganda.

Boy M5

He also set up the credit union movement in Ireland