John McCormack Statue Unveiled in Dublin.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com

With not a mention of it in the press. Just a few belated words from John Bowman on his RTE1 Radio show. The statue stands in the lovely Iveagh Gardens park off Clonmel street, off Harcourt street. Well worth a visit!

John McCormack had a very beautiful voice. having ignored it most of my life I am now enjoying the music from "Icon of an Age" boxset containing a biographical story in film, photos, and interviews. An amazing story by any standard!

Any Kate Bush fans here? :lol:

Galeforce

MauriceColgan said:

With not a mention of it in the press. Just a few belated words from John Bowman on his RTE1 Radio show. The statue stands in the lovely Iveagh Gardens park off Clonmel street, off Harcourt street. Well worth a visit!

John McCormack had a very beautiful voice. having ignored it most of my life I am now enjoying the music from "Icon of an Age" boxset containing a biographical story in film, photos, and interviews. An amazing story by any standard!

Indeed, and apart from his great voice, sure isnt he well known for his massive contribution to Irish politics,.....

I think he may even have been in the GPO!!!! :roll:

zakalwe

Galeforce said:
MauriceColgan said:

Indeed, and apart from his great voice, sure isnt he well known for his massive contribution to Irish politics,.....

it relates to irish culture and arts which is as relevant as the following (where i didn't detect similar rolling eyes from you):

clocked cars (justice/transport)
the punt (finance/economy)
jews (history/international/conspiracy)
gypsies (european/history/race)
muslims (religion/911/conspiracy)
french students stabbed in london (justice/international)
energy ignorance (energy)
UFOs (conspiracy/wacko)
bernard manning (race)

btw, i think its a good move to recognise one of ireland's greatest singers who put newly independent ireland firmly on the international arts/cultural stage. also, he brought irish music and songs to millions world wide and is credited with the popularisation of "danny boy" around the world.

Cogadh

zakalwe said:
it relates to irish culture and arts which is as relevant as the following (where i didn't detect similar rolling eyes from you):

clocked cars (justice/transport)
the punt (finance/economy)
jews (history/international/conspiracy)
gypsies (european/history/race)
muslims (religion/911/conspiracy)
french students stabbed in london (justice/international)
energy ignorance (energy)
UFOs (conspiracy/wacko)
bernard manning (race)

btw, i think its a good move to recognise one of ireland's greatest singers who put newly independent ireland firmly on the international arts/cultural stage. also, he brought irish music and songs to millions world wide and is credited with the popularisation of "danny boy" around the world.
Was the popularisation of Danny Boy necessarily a good thing though? ;)

but yeah culture and politics are instrinsically linked so it's alright to post this I magine.

Twin Towers

[youtube:1lmeyvl1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOiaTAu1qNE[/youtube:1lmeyvl1]

Rufus Wainwright: Macushla in lederhosen :|

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Please take a look at the result of two years work by Martin Dwan a young, John McCormack admirer. I guess a discerning ear is required when evaluating the great vocalists in popular and classical music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CtDXQp718

Danny Boy is a beautiful melody. Why some find sentimental songs sacharine always amuses me. Secretly they actually love them! Don't tell anyone though.

Anne Doyle of RTE appreciated Elvis Presley's version of "Danny Boy" she said, "That was beautiful", after hearing it.

Evil Eco-Fascist

Galeforce said:
MauriceColgan said:

It's in the Culture and Community section. :roll:

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Methinks, Galeforce may be regretting his impetuosity now.

Let's move on.

Athlone underestimates the importance of it's most famous son. A John McCormack Festival in the town may well attract a great many music tourists. Just look at what Sligo does with the Yeats connection!

NotDevsSon

Galeforce said:
MauriceColgan said:

He was interested in becoming President of Ireland in 1938, but was illegible having taken out US citizenship previously.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
D.Harry said:
My late father's favourite singer, McCormack was a true superstar and is, even today, arguably the greatest tenor ever.
It's all so subjective. There are a large number of Tenors each with quite a following. Pavarotti with the aid of MASS projection rose way above many others.

Mario Lanza had all us school children back in the early 50s flocking to see, "The Great Caruso", on the big screen!

I like Josef Locke a LOT, his powerful and tender voice in his prime was absolutely beautiful. Met him once in, Joe's Place, his pub by the ha'penny bridge in Dublin, 1964. A charmer ;)

corelli

He was actually COUNT John McCormack. He was a Papal Knight, when such things mattered more than now. His great grandson still has the title as in those days they were hereditary titles, as far as I know.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
corelli said:
He was actually COUNT John McCormack. He was a Papal Knight, when such things mattered more than now. His great grandson still has the title as in those days they were hereditary titles, as far as I know.
YesI know but the title is not usually included in his name anymore on his Biography "The Great Irish Tenor: John McCormack, by Gordon T Ledbetter or the following.

His great grandson I believe still uses the Papal Count title in his name.

fergalr

It's not a very dynamic statue, is it? I mean, there must have been better ways to express in sculpture the power of the man's singing than just having him yawn to an empty park corner. Imagine if the Yeats statue was just him scribbling onto a page... even the very static Joyce statue on N Earl st has him leaning on his cane at a jaunty angle and regarding his city. This ain't the greatest work of art to grace the fair city, in fact it's down there with the Phil Lynott one - just a metal approximation of what the man looked like and nothing more.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
fergalr said:
It's not a very dynamic statue, is it? I mean, there must have been better ways to express in sculpture the power of the man's singing than just having him yawn to an empty park corner. Imagine if the Yeats statue was just him scribbling onto a page... even the very static Joyce statue on N Earl st has him leaning on his cane at a jaunty angle and regarding his city. This ain't the greatest work of art to grace the fair city, in fact it's down there with the Phil Lynott one - just a metal approximation of what the man looked like and nothing more.
I guess the Sculptor Elizabeth O' Kane was acting on instructions from the the man who commissioned the statue. The pose is from a famous photograph of John Count McCormack singing. (Not yawning!)

Yeats was an airy fairy type, far more suited to dramatisations. :)

A great Tenor caught in the action standing in beautiful and peaceful surroundings deserves more attention. It will get it too before I'm finished.

Nonetheless I would have liked to have seen it located outside the National Concert Hall, or on O' Connell Street, where it would be seen by a great many thousands of music lovers, and the St Pat's Day crowds too! :lol:

Geekzilla

MauriceColgan said:

He's buried in Deans Grange Cemetery.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Geekzilla, yes.

Do not miss the next "Ireland's Own" issues. The John McCormack statue story is to appear sooner or later.
That mag covered the "Elvis at 13" statue,and the Josef Locke Memorial stories for me.

The magazine is purchased Internationally!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies