• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

John McGuinness - Poacher turned gamekeeper.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
You have to love Irish politics all the same. Here we have John McG spluttering on about a bank enquiry and so on and all the time we all know the skeletons in the cupboard will never see the light of day. Because as far as I can see they are all involved in shady dealings of some sort.

Take this for eg: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/son-of-dail-spending-chief-earned-30k-in-overtime-with-dad-29263855.html

John McGuinness was appointed a junior minister in the then Department of Enterprise by Bertie Ahern in 2007. Andrew McGuinness (son) is also a Fianna Fail councillor in Kilkenny, topping the poll in 2009. Andrew McGuinness worked as his father's personal secretary. Andrew was on a basic salary of €42,000. Andrew claimed over €30,000 in overtime from the taxpayer in a single year 2008, while working at a job given to him by his father.

Andrew claimed €48,273 in overtime during his almost two years, between 2007 and 2009, in the department, and a total of €71,353 in overtime, mileage and subsistence. No details of the amount of work carried out for the overtime money was provided in a response to the Freedom of Information (FOI) request.

Andrew is also a Fianna Fail councillor in his native Kilkenny, topping the poll in the city ward in 2009. Andrew received €30,579 in salary and expenses payments from the council in 2011. Just recently the taxpayer spent €250,000 kitting out John McGuinness's new ministerial office in the Department of Enterprise in 2007 where he was only allowed to use luxury toilet rolls in the bathroom, such as "Kittensoft, Inversoft and Andrex".

John McGuinness has claimed the recent details are part of attempts to "discredit me, undermine my position as chairman of the PAC and damage the PAC's efforts to investigate" aka 'keep skeletons from dancing'.

And Pat Rabbitte blames the media for the cynicism in Irish politics. Assshoole.

Last edited:

euroboy

A few things come to mind

1. How many hours overtime would that equate to? I reckon it to be around 12-15 hours a week (at 40 euro an hour over 48 weeks). How does that fit with health and safety regulations?

2. What was the quality of the work performed during that overtime? Was it important work to deadline or menial tasks (photocopying, reading the newspaper etc).

3. Can mileage and expenses be claimed which have already been claimed by another who actually incurred the expenses (e.g getting a lift to work in dad's car using dad's taxpayer funded fuel?)

4. Can one claim overtime solely by having a conversation in the car on the way to/from work, or over cornflakes at breakfast if one was listening to a political radio programme?

I find it very hard to see how one can earn nearly double their salary in overtime especially as I think PA's get a wage premium already factored into their salary for the anti-social demands often placed on them working for a politician.

Sync

For giggles:
42k a year over (roughly) 220 working days at 8 hours a day translates at 24 euro an hour over 1760 hours . Let's say over time is at time and a half then is 36 euro an hour.

That would mean that he worked 833 hours overtime, meaning that he would have have to have worked 11.8 hours a day. Which seems rubbish.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Dare I ask for links? Not that I don't trust you, but I'd like to do a bit of analysis, myself.

Marcos the black

For giggles:
42k a year over (roughly) 220 working days at 8 hours a day translates at 24 euro an hour over 1760 hours . Let's say over time is at time and a half then is 36 euro an hour.

That would mean that he worked 833 hours overtime, meaning that he would have have to have worked 11.8 hours a day. Which seems rubbish.
First of all just to say that I agree fully with the OP and that the above is a disgrace.
But being pedantic, 833 hours into 52 weeks is 16 hours per week overtime. If a politician includes going to funerals (weekends and evenings) and travel time to and from these, then I bet you could clock up 16 hours a week easy. That's IF you think that attending funerals is a function of local politicians and can be designated as overtime!!

Socratus O' Pericles

These hammers of the low paid worker always make certain that the rules don't apply to themselves and their families. If I remember my history correctly one of the things the protestant reformers objected to was nepotism..................................maybe they were right.

zippo222

A few things come to mind

1. How many hours overtime would that equate to? I reckon it to be around 12-15 hours a week (at 40 euro an hour over 48 weeks). How does that fit with health and safety regulations?

2. What was the quality of the work performed during that overtime? Was it important work to deadline or menial tasks (photocopying, reading the newspaper etc).

3. Can mileage and expenses be claimed which have already been claimed by another who actually incurred the expenses (e.g getting a lift to work in dad's car using dad's taxpayer funded fuel?)

4. Can one claim overtime solely by having a conversation in the car on the way to/from work, or over cornflakes at breakfast if one was listening to a political radio programme?I find it very hard to see how one can earn nearly double their salary in overtime especially as I think PA's get a wage premium already factored into their salary for the anti-social demands often placed on them working for a politician.
Yes. If your car is your office.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.

Socratus O' Pericles

You have to love Irish politics all the same. Here we have John McG spluttering on about a bank enquiry and so on and all the time we all know the skeletons in the cupboard will never see the light of day. Because as far as I can see they are all involved in shady dealings of some sort. Take this for eg:

John McGuinness was appointed a junior minister in the then Department of Enterprise by Bertie Ahern in 2007. Andrew McGuinness (son) is also a Fianna Fail councillor in Kilkenny, topping the poll in 2009. Andrew McGuinness worked as his father's personal secretary. Andrew was on a basic salary of €42,000. Andrew claimed over €30,000 in overtime from the taxpayer in a single year 2008, while working at a job given to him by his father.

Andrew claimed €48,273 in overtime during his almost two years, between 2007 and 2009, in the department, and a total of €71,353 in overtime, mileage and subsistence. No details of the amount of work carried out for the overtime money was provided in a response to the Freedom of Information (FOI) request.

Andrew is also a Fianna Fail councillor in his native Kilkenny, topping the poll in the city ward in 2009. Andrew received €30,579 in salary and expenses payments from the council in 2011. Just recently the taxpayer spent €250,000 kitting out John McGuinness's new ministerial office in the Department of Enterprise in 2007 where he was only allowed to use luxury toilet rolls in the bathroom, such as "Kittensoft, Inversoft and Andrex".

John McGuinness has claimed the recent details are part of attempts to "discredit me, undermine my position as chairman of the PAC and damage the PAC's efforts to investigate" aka 'keep skeletons from dancing'.

And Pat Rabbitte blames the media for the cynicism in Irish politics. Assshoole.

What's he got against the Eircom phonebook?

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Watched John McGuinness recently on Vincent Brown and been typical of Fine Fail, you'd think he had been in opposition for the last 15 years when talking about the country and cosy cartels, vested interests etc :-( But as the man said, if FF nuked the country their are still enough gobsh!tes around who would still vote for them.

Reck-less

For giggles:

I've worked it out that if Andrew McGuinness worked an extra 16½ hours a week in overtime, say from 6 pm until around 9:20 pm, for a period of about 46 weeks, then he could certainly have ratcheted up overtime payments of €30k or more.

As Sync pointed out, that means that he would have had to work a 12-hour day, 5-days a week, and for 46 weeks of the year.

Isn't that just some dedication for you. petunia

What I'd love to know is, when did he get time to perform his duties as an elected representative of both Kilkenny County Council and Kilkenny Borough Council?

700,000 euros for Kilkenny councillors’ salaries, expenses in 2010 | Kilkenny People | Published on 27/10/2011

Eoin Coir

John McGuinness TD is the man who rails against slurping at the trough, and waste of public funds. Thats why he is in charge of the PAC.

Macy

Watched John McGuinness recently on Vincent Brown and been typical of Fine Fail, you'd think he had been in opposition for the last 15 years when talking about the country and cosy cartels, vested interests etc :-( But as the man said, if FF nuked the country their are still enough gobsh!tes around who would still vote for them.
But But... he was outspoken a couple of times about Government decisions. That's got to count for something? More than his actual Dail votes did, given he voted for everything he vocally opposed....

bonkers

It's disgraceful that his son was so well looked after.
I wonder who's releasing these stories though. Isn't he supposed to be in charge of the supposed bank enquiry? There are a lot of well connected people who'd want to see him under minded at this time.

Ryan Tubbs

Those numbers are staggering. Even the most generous Overtime system shouldn't yield more than 25% (gross) of your gross salary, and yet this dude was getting 70% of his salary in overtime :shock:

That's utterly insane.

John McGuinness is right to say this information is being released to discredit him. Because it absolutely, conclusively DOES discredit him! :lol:

Sister Mercedes

Those numbers are staggering. Even the most generous Overtime system shouldn't yield more than 25% (gross) of your gross salary, and yet this dude was getting 70% of his salary in overtime :shock:

That's utterly insane.

John McGuinness is right to say this information is being released to discredit him. Because it absolutely, conclusively DOES discredit him! :lol:
Be careful what you wish for. If McGuinness is dumped from the PAC, you'll have Shane Ross in his place, who will be much more vocal about exposing waste and corruption in Govt Spending.

FakeViking

Be careful what you wish for. If McGuinness is dumped from the PAC, you'll have Shane Ross in his place, who will be much more vocal about exposing waste and corruption in Govt Spending.
I'd be much more afraid of SR using a position like that to maximise his public profile. He's a one trick pony.

Stephen Donnelly would make a much better PAC chair.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies