• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

John Murray to replace Ryan Tubridy on RTE Radio 1

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
John Murray will be taking over from Ryan Tubridy in the 9 - 10am slot on RTE Radio 1 it's just been announced by RTE.

Tubridy will be moving to take over Gerry Ryan's former slot in 2fm in August.

borntorum

Any word on what the format will be? Hopefully not another whimsical/light entertainment type thing

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
If it's anything like The Business show from last weekend I won't be listening, but John Murray can be good.

Though a current affairs show leading-in to Pat Kenny might be too much. Kenny was said to have been trying to get his show moved back from 10am to 9am to get a lead-in from Morning Ireland.

willoughby

I always seem to enjoy him on the business, if he got a good format for a show i'd say he'd be good.

He3

Great leap forward, potentially.

borntorum

I agree it shouldn't be another current affairs show, but Murray is a sharp presenter and hopefully we'll be fronting an intelligent program. Any time I hear Tubs now he just seems to be doing an extended book club show

cricket

I find Murray has a nice light touch on the business programme he does.
Tubridy always reminds me of the late Brian Lenihan , capable of gravitas but feels it his duty to act the eejit most of the time. I've rarely managed to listen or watch one of his shows through to conclusion.

idle tim

Not familiar with John Murray,what slot is he moving from.Earlier reports were speculating that Duffy would be taking over Tubs spot,his legions will be relieved,not to mention his funny friday crew and every other social commentator who regularly clog up the airwaves with their blandness. :cry:

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
RTÉ News: Morning Ireland - John Murray

In 1995, he accepted an offer to work as a media adviser with the then-leader of the Progressive Democrats, Mary Harney TD. Two years later, he was appointed Deputy Government Press Secretary as the party entered coalition with Fianna Fáil

no change then

borntorum

Oh dear

'The John Murray Show' will focus on lifestyle and entertainment items, aiming for a strong emphasis on human-interest stories.
"Human-interest stories". As opposed to what? Lack of interest stories? Animal interest?

Heaven forfend that RTE would ever think outside the carefully constructed boxes into which all its programming must perfectly fit

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2010/0630/rte.html

stripey cat

RTÉ News: Morning Ireland - John Murray

In 1995, he accepted an offer to work as a media adviser with the then-leader of the Progressive Democrats, Mary Harney TD. Two years later, he was appointed Deputy Government Press Secretary as the party entered coalition with Fianna Fáil

no change then

A former PD from Dublin who is "passionate about rugby" and is married to an Irish Times journalist. RTE have their finger on the pulse don't they?

the_rebubblican

John was very fond of the "light moment" on the business show increasingly so in recent years to the cost of meatier issues. It's no surprise he's heading for the permanent sun trap of 9-10 to replace Tubridy. Another reason to deftly reach for the power switch on the transistor after Morning Ireland. He'll do well though and will quickly scale the slippery slopes of light entertainment in the Republic of RTE. We'll be having him just after breakfast I wonder how soon they'll be serving him up for tea?

Popular Threads

Most Replies