• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

John O Donoghue his wife and the 126k expenses

mmrebel

No link as yet but the Sunday tribune has on their front page that he and his wife have claimed 126k in expenses over 2 years now even by normal standards of outrageous expenses this quite excessive and smacks of contempt of ordinary joe public who are taking the brunt of this so called "sharing the pain "
Another thing why the hell his is wife entitled to claim expenses ??

drjimryan

i think there is a distinct lack of understanding amongst members of this site of the true cost of representing your people....dresses, hairdo's, make up, jewellery.....it never ends...........

and in fairness, with the importance of the kerry nation....its seems a paltry amount and indeed good value for money......

I have heard evidence of a couple, claiming benefits, co-habiting and working and they spend about 9k a year on cigarettes! and what do they do for tourism?

atlantic

Ministers and TD's careless about the drop in wages ,they can make it up tax free by smacking in expenses.

Christine Murray

Website
www.poethead.wordpress.com
you don't get a community chest card for that. But at least Iris Robinson *actually* is a ****ep, unlike Mrs O Donoghue - double claims and scandal aside. Sure FF can do anything cos the Greens support them.

Old Irish

See the speaker in the house of commons resigned because of this kind of thing. Any bets about oul John. I'd put my house on it that he does nothing keeps the job and defends this and John Lenihan says 'well there is nothing I can really do about it' just like he did about TSB upping their rates. I have to stop typing now because my breathing is going cause they are stressing me out so much.
How many people are going to say well sure you would do it if you had the opportunity. NO I WOULD NOT....before anyone starts with that crap.

atlantic

If people in small business racked up expenses like this, the Revenue jackboots would be screaming all over them,this just shows ya what they think of joe public and their rotten sense of entitlement.
See the speaker in the house of commons resigned because of this kind of thing. Any bets about oul John. I'd put my house on it that he does nothing keeps the job and defends this and John Lenihan says 'well there is nothing I can really do about it' just like he did about TSB upping their rates. I have to stop typing now because my breathing is going cause they are stressing me out so much.
How many people are going to say well sure you would do it if you had the opportunity. NO I WOULD NOT....before anyone starts with that crap.

Christine Murray

Website
l'd forgotten about the Speaker. l do not think the govt give two nellies about anyone, the more political office is debased the better it is for FF/Green. They reward corruption with perks and proffesorships and the media play along. What a bunch of chancers some people voted for *yawns*

He3

€120 hat hire for an assistant.

€250 water taxi ride from the airport to the hotel in Venice. Takes 15 minutes.

Department levied a charge on the Tribune of €523 for furnishing the info under what is laughably called Freedom of Information.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpc

Christine Murray

Website
€120 hat hire for an assistant.

€250 water taxi ride from the airport to the hotel in Venice. Takes 15 minutes.

Department levied a charge on the Tribune of €535 for furnishing the info under what is laughably called Freedom of Information.
O FFS Was it a pretty hat, why didn't he Philip Treacy it?

He3

I should say the taxi fare was for a return trip.

The hat?

We can but imagine.

Lloyd-Apjohn

Well John Bruton accepts a large pension from Irish taxpayers while also being paid a large EU salary also paid for by Irish taxpayers and his wife claims expenses too so I don't think anyone in FG has a leg to stand on to criticise anyone in FF about defrauding expenses. Plus add in the use of state cars to do the shopping and be a taxi for children and their friends plus the cost of children being brough to the Olympics etc - every single TD and Senator - ever elected or appointed - would fail a fit for purpose test on their expenses.

And the reason they get away with it is because the 'people' do nothing about it.

THe Irish political system is rotten to the core in the same house a house can be eaten from the inside out by woodworm or death watch beetle. Enda Kenny made some noises that he understands this but if he doesn't even have the guts to make it a rule of being a FG rep that you take a pay cut and stop claiming travel expenses and accomodation allowances etc and publish receipted claims for staff etc - regardless of whether they 'have to' or not.

The situation has long since gone beyond Kenny just needing to be better at managing the system in place now - he needs to replace that system.

One of the most fundamental ways of doing that is to make FOI requests free and to make sure that info is provided asap when requested - even the stupid time wasting requests. Knowing FOI requests are free and that delays to provide the info will see the relevant department and officials named and shamed will do more to change the mindset of government than any number of consultant reports.

He3

We are where we are.

We will do what we can to survive.

Why are they still where they are?

PetevonPete

do you see the hairdo on O'D's missus in the pic onthe front page, must have cost a bomb - on that issue the state of here head is something else - is it me or do the FF party not acautlly look like George Orwell's upright walking pigs - these people are geniunly sub-human

He3

€80 to "Indians for moving the luggage".

Lloyd-Apjohn

Please let's hope that someone journo has all the dirt on TD/Senator expenses but then again even if they did the cosy links between the media and politicians means they would be unlikely to publish them in the way journos did in the UK.

He3

Limo in Berlin €2436.

Trib says it was to take Minister to soccer match.

Akrasia

why does the ceann comhairle need to take any business trips or incur any expenses at all? His job is to chair the meetings of dail eireann. He doesn't have to worry about re-election, he doesn't have to take part in committees or go on junkets or do anything except chair the meetings of Dail eireann.

If he claimed 60k a year in 'expenses' on top of his massive salary and ministerial pension then he is a thief and he should be facing criminal charges.

Popular Threads

Most Replies